Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Sedona 2012
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if this has already been covered, but I changed the oil and oil filter this weekend. I replaced the OEM with the WIX 57050. The only difference is a small lip/ring on the top of the oil filter. The OEM does not have this lip. When I tried to tighten the oil filter canister cover, I thought it was supposed to screw down completely. Anyway, there is a slight space between between the edge of the canister cover and the housing that is about the distance of the lip/ring.

The only problem is that I don't remember if that clearance was there before I took off the canister cover off. Anyway, after about 30 or 40 miles, so far no leaks, but have other people had similar issues?

By the way, the oil drain plug was a pain to get off!!

·
Registered
Sedona 2012
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the 12 point socket wrench to get the oil filter canister off. Just an update, I've gone to the dealer to get their oil filter and will probably switch it out this coming weekend. So far, about 650 miles, no leaks, but it still bothers me that there is a gap between the lip of the canister cap and the housing.

Also, there is a white paint mark that should line up, and so it looks like it should screw in all the way.

·
Registered
Sedona 2012
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

As a followup here, I ended up buying an oil filter from the dealer and installed it tonight. The oil filter canister cap was able to screw on completely. The oil filter part number was 26320-3CAA0.

Anyway, you are able to buy it online at

2012 KIA SEDONA Parts - Kia Parts Center - Call (800) 670-2793 to Buy Genuine Kia Parts, Kia Optima Parts, Kia Sedona Parts, Kia Sportage Parts, Kia Spectra Parts, Kia Sorento Parts, , Kia Amanti Parts, Kia Rondo Parts, Kia Rio Parts, Kia Magentis Pa

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sorry if this has already been covered, but I changed the oil and oil filter this weekend. I replaced the OEM with the WIX 57050. The only difference is a small lip/ring on the top of the oil filter. The OEM does not have this lip. When I tried to tighten the oil filter canister cover, I thought it was supposed to screw down completely. Anyway, there is a slight space between between the edge of the canister cover and the housing that is about the distance of the lip/ring.

The only problem is that I don't remember if that clearance was there before I took off the canister cover off. Anyway, after about 30 or 40 miles, so far no leaks, but have other people had similar issues?

By the way, the oil drain plug was a pain to get off!!
RE: When I tried to tighten the oil filter canister cover, I thought it was supposed to screw down completely, there is a slight space between between the edge of the canister cover and the housing

I'll doubt check tomorrow or so. If it's like a 2007, Canister cover should be flush.

Curious- I'm assuming the oil filter is a canister type- it sits on top of the engine and the "cap' you unscrew is made out of plastic - It's about 3 inches in diameter -Correct?

You mention a 12 point socket for removing cap? Where did you get it, what is the part number, and how much?

RE: On the drain plug being a "pain" to get off!

Most likely cause is someone reusing the CRUSH washer. Doing so throws off the torque spec, and makes it "fall in love" with whatever it's screwed into.

Aluminum drain plug CRUSH washers are exactly that- they are CRUSH WASHERS and should be replaced each oil change. (Ok, you might be able to reuse them twice.)

Copper drain plug washers- Anneal them and they can be reused.

PS: You need to ask one of the mods to move this thread into the 2006+ section of the forum, post future questions there.

Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+ - Kia Forum

·
Registered
263 Posts
Kia has a bulletin that warns about using aftermarket filters, be safe get the OEM ones and dont worry.
I can't see a good quality filter causing any problems -unless it was a extremely new car.
(The thought process being on a new model, filter manufacturer might not have access to the correct specs /dimensional drawings. With that said- I would find it hard to believe a well-know filter manufacturer would not triple check those specs before sending to manufacturing.)

I found the OEM filters (2007 Kia Sedona, Service Kit 26320-3C100) via the dealer were cheaper than filters elsewhere- so it was a no-brainer to get the OEM filter.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
I have been using the Purolator PremiumPlus L26127 in my 2011 Sedona with no issues. This filter comes with a new O-ring for the filter housing and a new crush washer. The housing fits flush after tightening with the Purolator filters, no gaps. The Purolator filter costs $11.99 at Advance Auto Parts. I haven't priced them at the local dealership. Also, a 27mm socket is what is necessary to remove the oil filter housing for anyone who doesn't know.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
The 2011-2012 Sedona have a different engine than the 2006-2010. The newer 3.5L oil canister has a molded "nut" on top of it, where the 3.8L in the older models does not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts