Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any suggestions as how to improve the Sirius XM audio from the UVO ?
Better speakers may help somewhat but the starting quality sounds very poor comparing to the audio from other cars (rented a chevy cruze for business travel and it sounded great). The audio somehow sounds very 'compressed'.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
404 Posts
i agree, you can hear it in the high frequency stuff, kind of like low bit rate mp3's... is it possible other sirius radios get a higher frequency stream, does that even exist in satellite streams?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i agree, you can hear it in the high frequency stuff, kind of like low bit rate mp3's... is it possible other sirius radios get a higher frequency stream, does that even exist in satellite streams?
Yes exactly. Higher pitch music or instruments, and certain words e.g. the "SSS" sound. People sometimes sound "metallic".

·
Registered
7 Posts
is it possible other sirius radios get a higher frequency stream, does that even exist in satellite streams?
No, the satellite streams are high quality, no reason for them to send lower bitrate streams on satellite. I don't have Sirius set up, but if it's definitely compression artifacts and poorer audio quality than other sources, then I guess there's a substandard digital-analog converter in the satellite radio circuitry. That does comport with the overall audio system quality, unfortunately. It's pretty annoying since they're saving only a few bucks (or cents) with these compromises, but I guess it's better than using rear drum brakes like the other guys.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sirius and XM may have the same channels but they are vastly different in sound quality. I let my UVO Sirius XM subscription expire and bought an XM Onyx sat radio from Bestbuy. It's plugged into the audio in jack next to the USB socket and sounds fantastic. Even the low quality free advertising channel sounds much better as that can still be received on my UVO for free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts