Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My partner and I are seriously considering purchasing a new Rio Si Sedan, but we have a few questions. We've done a fair bit of internet searching, but haven't found a great deal of info. So, here goes:

1) The direct injection engine: is Kia, particularly with respect to the 1.6L Gdi, having any issues with carbon deposits in the intake valves? Does anyone know if the engines have any mechanisms in place to help with this? Also, is cleaning of the intake valves specified at any point during the servicing (particularly in the 5 year fixed price period)?

2) Can the road noise of the car be dampened by changing tyres? The sedan comes with Kuhmo tyres - would changing to Bridgestone or Pirelli (for example) help reduce noise?

3) To the Kia owners in Australia - how is the quality of the servicing? Also, are Kia good to deal with re any warranty claims?

Any general thoughts people have on the sedan would be appreciated too - the hatch seems considerably more popular!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Can only help on the first two questions. Third one is more your relationship with the dealer. Some people will get along great with their dealer while others wont. The dealer I got mine from they are great but they know they aint ever seeing the car again unless I break something on it.

1. Carbon deposits. Hyundai owners of the GDI engine (mainly Veloster) found carbon deposits inside the intake and it was very common among the US/Canada bound cars. As we have the same engine that concern has come across naturally. We can fit a catch can to help with carbon deposits coming back through the intake but I had a look at my Kia just before oil change and found no deposits at all in the areas of concern that Veloster owners were having.

It may come down to different country specs/sign off procedures or a change in the final process at the plants but we know what to do if there is excessive build ups.

2. Swapping to quieter tyres always helps. Manufacturers will put tyres on the cars to suit the masses and give longevity. Just find a tyre your comfortable with and you will have no problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, TJ85. Based on what you wrote though, I have a couple more questions. You wrote "we know what to do if there is excessive build ups" - do you just mean to clean it? Which leads into my second question - are the intake valves easily accessible? The impression I got from some of the things I was reading about GDI engines was that it was quite a major task to clean the carbon deposits off.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Not clean. Install catch can to limit/stop it from happening again. To clean the valves you will need to remove the head to get to them. Its not majorly difficult but its something that would take a while. Cleaning carbon deposits off parts is not easy if its inside the engine. They get baked on.

The valves themselves, if it ever got to that point where it is affecting how the car runs it would be cheaper to buy new ones either OEM or forged ones. The only issue with buying OEM parts for us in Australia especially when it comes to engine components is we cant always buy a specific part on its own. An individual part may only be $100 max but if we have to buy it in a kit form that can easily blow out to almost $2k

Not joking with the price increase either. These are the global engines that Mitsubishi also use and there are quite a few engine parts you cant buy on their own. Most of the parts are to do with the cams and cylinder head. Anything to do with the cylinder head we cannot buy individual parts; we have to buy the whole kit and its just over $1800

Replacing the valves shouldnt be tied into anything else. Kia might do it as a kit with the retainers and valve springs as a precaution; if something was wrong with the valves then good chance the springs and retainers may also need replacing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts