Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Obviously this is not my car, i'm posting this as a friend of mine suffered this recently and it needs posting for others to learn about. A friend of mine from another forum bought a UB Rio S manual for his wife last December. Here, the S spec is the gamma 1.4 multipoint engine, and it's the entry-level spec of the range. He bought it with the 6 speed manual.

The other night he got a call from his wife saying the clutch pedal was 'wobbling'. When she arrived home, he got in and went for a spin and the problem became rapidly worse. The only time the wobbling/vibration through the pedal would stop was with the clutch pedal to the floor. The car was taken to the local Kia the next day and after pulling the gearbox out they found that a couple of the studs on the diaphragm spring/pressure plate assembly had come loose. For those of you who aren't all that familiar with the mechanics of a clutch, it basically means that over time the spring was lifting the clutch plate off the flywheel unevenly, which eventually warped the clutch plate causing it to fail as the clutch plate needs to be perfectly flush with the flywheel (engine side) to work as it should. The vibration could also be felt in neutral as a pulsing, with light pressure on the pedal.

Apparently the damage includes the flywheel, selector shaft and obviously the clutch itself. The car has 10,200KM on it. His dealer has been fantastic with the situation so full credit to them. The parts will require a couple of weeks wait but they've apparently come to the party and organised the loan car and couldn't have been better so top marks to them.

I thought this worthy of posting a thread for as it's a very unusual failure, something i've never heard of in a few manual car, and something that may need to be considered for those who have clutch issues down the track.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That will be ours then!

Thanks for the thread link OzSLS. I will update here when we get it back in a week or two!
I have got a very quick video of my foot on the clutch when its doing it, and I mean its quick....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well we picked up the courtesy car yesterday... a very nice 4 door GDI auto in the colour Latté

Good timing really as the clutch slave cylinder on mine crapped itself and is in the shop aswell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah.

They are internal on the xr8's.... so a box out job! Replacement slave from ford.... $1000! At trade price!

Found one for $350 new though... still bloody expensive!

Another $600 chucked at it, thankfully the uprated clutch wasnt contaminated etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got an unexpected call from the dealers today.... the car is ready! Popped down and collected it. First impression, the clutch feels very different! Almost like air its that easy to push the clutch in. Its a little too soft for my liking but will be perfect for the missus.
Copy of the service notes.

And the list of parts replaced.

As you can see, all done under warranty and more than happy with the dealers handling of this.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good work mate, glad it's all sorted

our pedal has become noticeably harder now we're at ~24,000KM. It stinks like burnt clutch surface every few days and judders on hills more regularly now

hooray!

however i've made it clear to the service manager that this thing had a suspected clutch issue since day 1 and he noted it down.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio Si
87 Posts
That would have cost a packet to repair for Kia!

Glad to see the warranty coming through there with flying colours though. Bodes well for other owners here in Australia

·
Registered
Kia Rio S 2012 (3-door hatchback)
41 Posts
Glad to hear this was fixed promptly by the dealer with no issue, this will give me a good peace of mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts