Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my rio in Jan and it gives a really bumpy ride.Anyone else having the same problem.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,521 Posts
Have you checked the air presure in your tires?

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
I just got my rio in Jan and it gives a really bumpy ride.Anyone else having the same problem.
Hi, cobra 259 is right: have the air pressure in your tires checked. Should be between 32 and 36 for best handling/comfort. But...a ride in the Rio is bumpy whatsoever. That's the way it is. Do you have the SX version with stiffer suspension and 17inch tires? SX ride is a bit stiffer than EX with 16 inch tires and LX with 15 inch tires. I was told Accent ride is smoother but steering is more vague. I have the EX and if not for the terrible road noise, I'd say the stiffer ride gives a good handling and you get used to it.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
When I picked up my Rio it was rough as so I checked the tyre pressure which was at 40.
Once I dropped the pressure it was better.

The 17's make it rougher anyway and I drive on nothing but country roads, but for how good it handles, it doesnt bother me at all cause I just love my Rio :)

·
Registered
2015 Kia Pro_cee'd GT Tech
85 Posts
The 17's make it rougher anyway and I drive on nothing but country roads, but for how good it handles, it doesnt bother me at all cause I just love my Rio :)
Totally agree :) Love the way the Rio sticks to the road. The Contis can be noisy on certain surfaces as well but they are great performing tyres.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
To each his own when it comes to ride softness. I prefer it a little sportier myself, which is why I opted for the SX model - I find it perfect. But I know many people object to the ride, especially on rough roads or gravel - they might even call the SX a bit harsh (whaaaat? no way, that's nuts)

Anyway, it simply comes down to personal preference. I love my little Rio! Call it "bumpy" if you want ... I call it "tight".

·
Registered
2012 Rio SLi 'Latte' 6AT 1.6GDi
126 Posts
depends on where you are! Aussie spec Rios get a suspension tune more suited to our 'interesting' surfaces that require a lot of body control so consequently, our suspension is firmer. US gets a softer tune (as always) and Europe has an inbetween tune since they have roads that are made for cars and not mountain goats. Tyre pressure is a good start, like mouse, mine was at 40 (WHY?!) but I've found 35psi is a good compromise between good fuel economy and comfort.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Where did you get that information from??

depends on where you are! Aussie spec Rios get a suspension tune more suited to our 'interesting' surfaces that require a lot of body control so consequently, our suspension is firmer. US gets a softer tune (as always) and Europe has an inbetween tune since they have roads that are made for cars and not mountain goats. /QUOTE]

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts

depends on where you are! Aussie spec Rios get a suspension tune more suited to our 'interesting' surfaces that require a lot of body control so consequently, our suspension is firmer. US gets a softer tune (as always) and Europe has an inbetween tune since they have roads that are made for cars and not mountain goats. /QUOTE]
That info can be found on many places on the internet....plus, I cant speak for yiannos18 but I know for myself that even my dealer told me. :)

·
Registered
2012 Rio SLi 'Latte' 6AT 1.6GDi
126 Posts
traditionally speaking, US has softer suspension and the number of motoring journos out here who have tested the 2 versions say ours is more composed, even a journo from the 'torquereport' said " The Rio SX comes equipped with a sport-tuned suspension, but our Rio SX 5-Door did not like being thrown into a corner. It's suspension would do quite the opposite of what you wanted and quickly reminded you that the Rio is more suited for lower speeds than the track."
Yet the Aussies, "The suspension is firm but comfortable and offers a sporty feel when having that little bit of a play on mountain roads. With all the safety features working together, the handling and turn in corners is seamless and a little bit fun." <- driver magazine.

and mouse can speak for me, dealer even told me so, hell, even Kia Australia is so proud of its suspension tune that it plastered it across most pre-release adverts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts