Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So had to work today (yes on a sunday) round trip it's 100 miles for me. No big deal, no problems.

Went to dinner with some friends -- on the way home I start to hear a weird sound from the engine bay - seemed to get worse after a few miles, was freaking out. Coolant light comes on, I knew the pump wasn't getting any fluid.

In addition -- my heater would not blow hot air. Pulled into a gas station, and just as a test put a gallon of water into the radiator - thing was bone dry. I was about 10 miles from home (sucks) had had to limp it.

Sucky thing is that I put in a gallon of water - and could see it quite rapidly dripping out from under the car. Going to take a closer look tomorrow when it's daylight.

No mods to the car except my power cable coming off the battery to the amp for my sub in the trunk.

Since I'm under full warranty -- I hope the dealership will just send a truck to tow it. Nearest dealer is about 20 minutes away -- which would be pushing it I think in terms of "limping" it there.

Car has been like a dream up to this point - I don't know how this could have happened... I haven't hit anything, run over anything. Who knows.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup! since I had a chance to look at it in the daylight, once I had the engine cover off, I saw the lower heater core line was disconnected coming off the firewall. Retainer clip was still there (thankfully)

Filled everything up with a 50/50 mix of water/antifreeze and I'm back in business. No more leakage, and heater works 100% now :)

Just scared the crap out of me to hear the water pump making a rattling noise on a car that's less than a year old.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
yup! since I had a chance to look at it in the daylight, once I had the engine cover off, I saw the lower heater core line was disconnected coming off the firewall. Retainer clip was still there (thankfully)

Filled everything up with a 50/50 mix of water/antifreeze and I'm back in business. No more leakage, and heater works 100% now :)

Just scared the crap out of me to hear the water pump making a rattling noise on a car that's less than a year old.
haha yeah it makes your heart sink doesn't it.. i bought a new "lemon" back in 2005 and it aged me about 5 years in 6 months.

glad to hear it's all sorted, but keep an eye on the other coolant lines for a while as some cooling systems build up too much pressure and can let go at many different spots.. i also had a car that did that same thing, could never fix it! I'd say yours was just a sloppy bit of assembly though, not picked up by Q.C.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
I agree that the hose/clamp probably wasn't seated correctly. I'd double check all the hoses and clamps to make sure they are installed correctly.

I had a Soul come into the shop about 2 years ago that had one of the transmission cooler lines come off. The clamp was on the hose but was about 3 inches away from where it should have been, from the factory. It lasted 4k miles before blowing off. Talk about a mess, there was trans fluid everywhere, and the owner drove it till it wouldn't move.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
I agree that the hose/clamp probably wasn't seated correctly. I'd double check all the hoses and clamps to make sure they are installed correctly.

I had a Soul come into the shop about 2 years ago that had one of the transmission cooler lines come off. The clamp was on the hose but was about 3 inches away from where it should have been, from the factory. It lasted 4k miles before blowing off. Talk about a mess, there was trans fluid everywhere, and the owner drove it till it wouldn't move.
reminds me of a story of a brilliant lady over here who brought her mazda 3 in to a mechanic with a bad knock @ around 70,000KM. On inspection it was found the big end bearing was stuffed. The oil was so thick it was like honey. The owner was asked when was the last time it had an oil change to which she replied "it's never had one, i BOUGHT IT NEW!"

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
reminds me of a story of a brilliant lady over here who brought her mazda 3 in to a mechanic with a bad knock @ around 70,000KM. On inspection it was found the big end bearing was stuffed. The oil was so thick it was like honey. The owner was asked when was the last time it had an oil change to which she replied "it's never had one, i BOUGHT IT NEW!"
I had one of those come in a few weeks ago. A Forte with 17k miles that hadn't had the oil changed yet, no noise though. When the adviser asked the owner if she wanted an oil change, she looked puzzled and said that no one told her she needed to change it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts