Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5, 2013 Soul, 2004 SVT Terminator Cobra
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. As stated I have a ‘12 Rio 5 that will not crank. I’ve checked the following:

Car has gas
Motor is not seized
No blown fuses for starter or fuel pumps
Battery is charged. Tried several good batt

I push in the clutch and turn the key to accessory. All lights come on and gauges set as normal. I also hear the fuel pumps engage. When I bump the key to start I hear one click (electrical. Not starter) and nothing. Lights don’t dim. Gauges don’t move. Etc. Before I replace the starter is there anything else I should check? I thought maybe a starter relay but I can’t even FIND one. To be honest I can’t even find the starter. It’s right under the throttle body on an auto. The manual trans starter must be behind the block under the exhaust? Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The radio and headlights do not dim or turn off. Any idea where I can locate said clutch pedal switch?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
167 Posts
It should be number 3 in the picture...

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
167 Posts
Even Item number 2 could be the issue. It is the ignition lock switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent. I shall try both. Should be easier and cheaper than starting with the starter. Thank you for the tip!

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Accent
5 Posts
It should be number 3 in the picture...

View attachment 116437
Actually no it's number 2 that has to be depressed for the car to start.
Number 3 can be disconnected entirely and it will help the revs to drop as they should for a manual when disconnected and also adds a nice burble to the exhaust on deceleration.
Ive put a switch on my upper switch (#3 in the pic) andcan turn it on or off on demand. I call it the sport mode switch. 😂😉

In answer to the question of no start if the clutch switch is not the cause of the problem get under the car and tap the starter to see if it starts. When they age the solenoid tends to stick and a tap will loosen it up to start.
If it does start doing it that way replace the starter because the solenoid will eventually lock up due to age.
Good luck. 👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well none of this worked. After looking closely, when I turn the key on accessory only half the lights on the dash light up and no radio. I found a broken wire on the negative battery terminal sensor and replaced the broken wire. Tested on a meter fine, but after installation I have the same issue. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,597 Posts
Test to see if the starter spins when you jump the starter relay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts