Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 month old baby has a long crack in its windshield and I have a question.

I can go with one of the autoglass replacement companies who will install aftermarket glass and cover $100 of my $300 deductible.

I can go to the dealer and they will install OEM glass but will not cover any of my deductible.

Any strong reasons why I wouldn't save $100 and go with aftermarket glass?

Both glass has the rain sensor components, etc.

I live in Canada and my insurance company only provides free chip repair and not replacement

·
Registered
'11 Optima EX 2.4L GDI Automatic
330 Posts
An after market company for glass has to use a comparable product, while not OEM it will meet all specifications required by the manufacturer.

Unless you hung up on OEM only on your car, save a couple of bucks. Just make sure you use a good aftermarket glass company, cause while the glass may be the same the installation may not be!

·
Registered
13 Optima T-GDI, 08 Rondo, 06 Spectra, 04 Optima
110 Posts
Ask what brand the replacement company will use. If it's Pilkington Solar glass, which is likely, it will be the oem glass. Most will also let you request a brand so you can ask for it. I would also go with the replacement company because you will usually get a lifetime warranty. So if you notice any waves or distortions it will get replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys.. found aftermarket firm that will cover 100% of my deductible and uses PPG and Pilkington glass

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Hothummer...I'm in Calgary and my optima also has a crack straight across, kind of annoying, It moved so fast i wish now I tried to fill it to at least stop it or change the direction of the crack. I called around a new is really pricey. I could not find any after market options. I was told car still too new and nothing coming out of China for after market..i was told could take a year. Did you put on a OEM or did you find a after market ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
windshield

The guy who replaced my windshield came with OEM glass. He actually went to the dealership to get it as there are no aftermarket options. It is OEM Kia glass. You want to make sure that it has the connections for the rain sensing wipers, satellite radio and heated windshield.

I ended up paying about $75 out of pocket and insurance covered the rest.

good luck!

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
And you might be 'pleasantly surprised' when times for insurance renewal comes. How come you increased my monthly payments???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts