1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Optima EX+, Pearl White with all black interior
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Thanks for such an informative forum!

Here's my situation. I'm located near Toronto, Ontario. I'm in the market for a 4 dr sedan, and I love the Optima (tested the SX and it was wonderful).

Through a family member, I have access to the "Friends of Kia" discount, which equates to 6% off of MSRP, with taxes and other expenses on top of that. For an EX, the pricing would look like this:

MSRP 28095
Discounted MSRP 26690.25
Colour Charge $200.00
Other Taxes & Levies $134.00
Delivery & Destination $1,455.00

Amount due before HST 28479.25
HST Amount $3,702.30
Total Amount due (after HST) $32181.55

When you go through the "Friends of Kia" process, you do not have the opportunity to negotiate. My connection (who has been very helpful) says that because the Optima is in such demand now and supply is low, I'm unlikely to get better than 6% off MSRP through a dealership. I'm a bit confused because it sounds like people (at least in the US) are getting some really good deals, and I'm unsure if such deals can be found in Canada.

My question is: do you agree that I'm unlikely to do better than this? And does anyone have an experience specific to a GTA dealership that could help me decide? Is there a specific GTA dealership (Burlington, Toronto, Hamilton) that anyone has found to be extremely amenable to negotiation?

Thanks in advance for your input everyone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should mention also that the prices are for an EX+ (w/panoramic sunroof) in white.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
That seems a bit steep for a friends and family plan. I'm not familiar with the Canadian pricing though. I've known folks to get SX Optimas in the mid to lower 20K range. You should be getting the car at or below Invoice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That seems a bit steep for a friends and family plan. I'm not familiar with the Canadian pricing though. I've known folks to get SX Optimas in the mid to lower 20K range. You should be getting the car at or below Invoice.
Thanks Joesyah,

Yeah, to feel it out I did something that I saw another forum goer do, I emailed the 15 or so Kia dealerships in the greater Toronto area to get pricing. So far, one of them came in slightly over what I listed above, and one came in slightly below, basically $30,000 OTD for the EX. The tax is pretty high unfortunately, it's 13%, but this included tax.

I'm thinking I might be able to get this dealership to throw in tinting and winter mats for free for 30K out the door for EX, or for the EX+ 31,500 out the door.

I'm not sure what they'll say.

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
Thanks Joesyah,

Yeah, to feel it out I did something that I saw another forum goer do, I emailed the 15 or so Kia dealerships in the greater Toronto area to get pricing. So far, one of them came in slightly over what I listed above, and one came in slightly below, basically $30,000 OTD for the EX. The tax is pretty high unfortunately, it's 13%, but this included tax.

I'm thinking I might be able to get this dealership to throw in tinting and winter mats for free for 30K out the door for EX, or for the EX+ 31,500 out the door.

I'm not sure what they'll say.
Prices in this funny third world country are ALWAYS higher than in the States. Do not compare anything with the States, especially car prices.
We get screwed up at every step we make so you have to accept prices as they are. Do not even mention them to the dealer, they will laugh at you. The point is if you do not like the price there is a line up of rich immigrants who would pay even more.
E-mailing dealers and expect fair price is a joke; you HAVE to get there and spend hours negotiating. And if you show slight interest to buy you are screwed again - they know you WANT this car so pay buddy through the nose!
I can kind of recommend Trento KIA as easy going dealership. They let you drive different cars without anybody sitting beside you and talking their mouth out. If you are REALLY interested in REALLY buying a car they will loan you a car overnight (no charge) so you can do real life test drive. You might pay for the gas, not sure.
I have somewhere name of the friendly guy whom I dealt with. But on the other side he did not call me to let me know when they got Optimas nor Rios even though I told him I am very interested in both cars. At the time I went there they had only Forte and Optimas were just introduced with 700 cars allocated to CAD.

Good luck and be ready to pay through the nose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks MaybeKia.

I have to respectfully disagree with your point that emailing is a "joke".

I've already heard back from a few, and have gone back and forth a few times already. Through my connection at Kia I had a good idea of what dealer cost equates to, so I know what a good price looks like now (at least in Canada).

For me, negotiating by email is very effective because I don't really enjoy in-person negotiation, so this way I'm able to communicate with multiple dealerships at once and can leverage them against each other. And you have everything in writing just in case. I think this is the way to buy cars in this day and age.

For example, I have the final otd price from one dealership (and it's a good price), and I informed another dealership of my current situation, and they walked away. That's fine with me, it gives me an idea of where I stand.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
pay $40 to Car Cost Canada and get the inside info, I've used that and it works for me, at least you know what you are actually dealing with.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to find info on a 2011 Forte in this form, so I have a good idea of what wholesale values are (approx 2 thousand less than MSRP for a car in this price range, I believe).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't know about the EX+, but for the EX Luxury that I got last week, I got almost 9% off of MRSP. Went through the Automobile Protection Agency (like CarCost). I had an existing membership so not sure what it costs. I feel like it was a pretty good deal, all considered.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, at another dealership, I'm now about to order an EX+ (w/sunroof) for $29,600 out-the-door. I couldn't be happier. I've asked an acquaintance at Kia Canada and he said it's a great price and that I'm lucky.

I'm very excited to drive this vehicle!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually, at another dealership, I'm now about to order an EX+ (w/sunroof) for $29,600 out-the-door. I couldn't be happier. I've asked an acquaintance at Kia Canada and he said it's a great price and that I'm lucky.

I'm very excited to drive this vehicle!
Hi SciWhiz,

I was wondering if you could share which dealer you went to? I PM'd you in case you didn't see.

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts