Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just grabbed a great deal on 2012 sportage LX (AWD) - wife liked it, (she gets to drive it primarily). I noticed the model differences a little too late, plus they only had the 2012LX left at the dealer.

I was wondering - can the trip computer/chip be retrofitted in the LX model? I checked the specs, and really it should be fairly straightforward - electrically there are no differences, unless of course TRIP is sitting on the embedded ECM, which would be a costly change. Does anyone know if it could be done at all?

Apologies if this has been answered before, I tried searching to no avail. I am in Quebec, Canada if that changes anything.

Also, while at it - where do you guys get the accessories from? I am talking silly things like trunk/sit mats, etc. Dealer is definitely making their money on the accessories - 60$ for cargo net? really? :)

Thanks for reading!
T.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Not sure about the addition of the SX/EX w/ prem. package instrument cluster. That is, can it be added after the fact to an LX. I assume this is what you're talking about?

Pic of the cluster I have in my SX: 2011 Kia Sportage instrument cluster photo

But, I can help w/ decent places to buy parts. Check out this thread. The sites mentioned will have just about anything you're looking for:

http://www.kia-forums.com/4g-2011-optima/66441-best-place-buy-kia-optima-stuff.html

I know it's in the Optima section of the forums but, the sites sell items for the sportage as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, cluster on EX is the same as the LX one. The only difference that without TRIP computer, pressing trip button rotates between TripA/B (1,2), outside temp and ECO mode.

MPG/various stats are missing from the LX.

Will check out the resources you posted, thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Well, cluster on EX is the same as the LX one. The only difference that without TRIP computer, pressing trip button rotates between TripA/B (1,2), outside temp and ECO mode.

Will check out the resources you posted, thanks!
Ahh, I see. Yeah, my "supervision cluster" also shows MPG average and "real time" mpg as well. Thanks for the clarification on the differences. I've never seen the "regular" cluster personally...

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts

It would be awesome if there was a way to turn on the missing software features.
Coming form the BMW world, I used the INPA programming software and OBDII cable to check diagnostics, turn on/off features, reset adaptations and service lights, etc.
Is there something like that for Kia/Hyundai's?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage, 2011 Kia Forte EX, 2016 Kia Sorento EX
30 Posts
I have a 2011 Sportage Base (6spd manual) which is a lesser contented LX. It has the trip computer in it. Pressing the Trip button cycles through Trip A, Trip B, Miles to Go, Avg MPG, Instant MPG, Elapsed Time and Outside Temperature. Perhaps the Canadian model has different options than the US model.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yea, that kind of suggests it's just a software change. Hopefully someone at the dealer can be bribed to do it. I would be really nice to know Miles to Go, avg mpg and inst mpg.
What mpg have you been getting with your 6spd manual?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage, 2011 Kia Forte EX, 2016 Kia Sorento EX
30 Posts
I already have 41,000 miles on my Sportage and am averaging 27.4 MPG. I keep track of all my fillups and calculate a total every few months. My driving is about 70% highway.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Cool. Now if only I can get my wife to record the odometer and fuel filled with Fuelly at every fill up :)

·
Registered
09 Nissan Grand Livina, 09 Toyota Innova, 12 Kia Sportage
3 Posts
Really interested in this mod if it is possible. I have an LX here in Manila. I hope somebody can provide info on this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts