Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, 2012 Kia Sportage LX
I was browsing around the site and crutchfield, and now I am confused about what size speakers go in the:
Front doors:
Back doors:

Also, does the factory (non Nav) have support for a sub? or will I need to upgrade that?

one last thing: I decided against taking the plastic hole apart where the sub is on the higher models and just placing a low depth box (like for a truck) under the back seat. Has anyone tried this already?

Much thanks again!

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
Hello everyone, 2012 Kia Sportage LX
I was browsing around the site and crutchfield, and now I am confused about what size speakers go in the:
Front doors:
Back doors:

Also, does the factory (non Nav) have support for a sub? or will I need to upgrade that?

one last thing: I decided against taking the plastic hole apart where the sub is on the higher models and just placing a low depth box (like for a truck) under the back seat. Has anyone tried this already?

Much thanks again!
I have done a full (less head unit) audio install on my SX w/UVO, so although I am most familiar with that setup, I can only assume some items will be the same.

Door speakers will be 6-1/2" diameter all the way around. I am not sure if the sound is staged so you get full range on the front speakers and only mid/bass in the back, or if you get full range on all four speakers. Either way, I would suggest getting component speakers for the front (drilling and mounting tweeters if necessary), and 2 or 3 way 6-1/2 speakers for the rear.

Regarding a sub on the standard radio, there are possibly a few ways you could achieve this. You may be able to tap the speaker wires and run them to a high level input if your amplifier supports this (usually does). On the other hand, I think you could run a line out converter from the speaker wires from your head unit and tap in a subwoofer, this is what many shops do to incorporate a subwoofer properly on an OEM stereo. There are quite a few types of line out converters, the one I used is a summing converter which I used to gather all the signals and sent them out as stereo to all channels, probably overkill for your application. A 2 way should work fine for you, just to allow the sub installation.

Regarding your sub, you cannot put it "under the rear seat" because there is no space between the seat and the floor, the seat cushion is attached to the raised floor area. You could run wires under there, but that is all. There are some special small "under the seat" woofers that you can put under the front seats, or you could install a box in the back, even a slim one that you could find a way to affix to the side of the vehicle. Some companies make specialized boxes that are made for your vehicle and take up very little space, and look OEM. Lots of options there.

If you need detailed info, look up my thread:

http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-sportage/78096-full-stereo-less-head-unit-installation.html

Again, that info mostly applies to the NAV/UVO systems, you do not have a rear amplifier. Everything else for speaker install should apply, as well as running the power wire(s).

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Highbeamz! I have seen your tutorials and have about 5 bookmarks on my browser for future installs from them. Yeah I just talked to someone about the converter switch. Seems like the best idea for me until I can replace the head unit.

The stock sound isn't horrible, I could probably wait until I wanted to install everything and make a weekend out of it: head unit, door speakers, sub, amp, backup cam. That way I don't have to keep taking the car apart multiple times.

Funny story: the Atlanta company I was contacting about if they had experience with the LX sub kit sent me an email back with the picture from your tutorial. Circles I go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts