Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

2 months ago I bought our family a new 2012 Kia Sportage EX w/ Prem. Package. It's signal red and so far I/we love it. I'm also a new forum member and have trolled this board for a while gathering helpful answers to a lot of my questions so thank you...

Anyway, I've read about what I'm going to ask about here already so yes, I know how the search function works and all :p I'm a software engineer and pretty well versed in using the googles and navigating the interwebs so please excuse me if these were answered and I missed them.

1) Can anyone suggest a cheap horn replacement part (autozone?) so I can can this weird ass horn the factory installs? Lol, the 1st time I hit the horn I didn't think it was working it was so quiet and odd sounding. Weak-sauce...

2) I'm for sure replacing all the Kia emblems. I know where to get them online. I like the VIP K ones that a lot of people here have installed. Does this, or any small mod void your new owner Kia warranty? I doubt it but, I just wanted to ask everyone to make sure.

3) I also want to replace the front grill with either a black ice mesh one or the honeycomb looking one that I believe comes on the SX. Is this super hard to do? Doesn't seem so but, I'm just a regular guy with regular tools. Whatever looks best on a signal red sportage works for me. I like the black/minimal look so don't want to get "chromed out" and go crazy adding chrome pieces everywhere.

4) I have 1 year old triplets so I'm installing a roof rack w/basket or pod thing for extra storage when we travel to the beach or to visit people out of town. The crossbars Kia offers are hideously ugly. So, I am going to buy Thule or Yakima ones. Any one have cheaper options which are just as nice? I'd like to keep the metal look like the built-in roof rails but some people have the simple black Yakima bars and they look ok so not sure what to do...

5) What's the best non-amazon/eBay store online you'd all suggest for getting parts like emblems and grills and such? I have browsed Korean Imports or whatever and they seem reasonable. Any other suggestions?

Finally, I posted in the welcome board but, since I'll be spending most of my time on this board I thought I'd quote my "hello post" as a way of introducing myself.

Thx in advance for the help.

Hi All,

I've read a bunch of helpful threads here so I thought I would register. I am a new Kia owner and 2 months ago bought a 2012 Kia Sportage EX (Red) w/ Premium Package. Really enjoying it.

I sold my 2008 Audi A4 and bought this vehicle as a more "family friendly" car - I'm a new Dad. Only regret? Not getting the SX turbo charged version. Oh well, maybe next time... My wife would of killed me if I had spent an extra $3,000 for the faster model etc. ;-)

Anyway, I'm 33 years old and married w/ 3 kids. I'm originally from Detroit, MI and for the last 7 years I've lived in San Diego, CA with my wife and 1 year old spontaneous triplets (2 identical boys and a fraternal girl).

I bought the Sportage after researching stylish, modern, affordable, and fuel-efficient CUVs that would fit all 5 of us and 3 baby car seats (tight fit but, it works...). In my opinion the Sportage was the best of the lot and I think I made the right decision for me/the fam.

Anyway, I appreciate reading the threads here and hope I can contribute here and there.

Jason

·
Registered
2012 sportage LX AWD
10 Posts
i know this isn't helpful but, when i got to this sentence....
4) I have 1 year old triplets so I'm installing a roof rack w/basket or pod thing
i started picturing a roof rack with baby seats strapped to it, and i coudn't stop laughing:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know this isn't helpful but, when i got to this sentence....
i started picturing a roof rack with baby seats strapped to it, and i coudn't stop laughing:lol::lol::lol:
Haha. Yeah, that would be awesome. But, lucky for them we can fit their 3 convertible car seats in the back of the sportage ;-) The roof will be reserved for luggage and beach gear.

Oh, and sorry for the long post. Just the items I'm going to do and ones, even after reading many other threads, I still needed some clarification on.

Anyway, just an open discussion and any advice will be helpful. Already have a good idea on what I'll do and where I'll buy from. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any crucial tips!

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,945 Posts
Horns and emblems have been discussed in a number of threads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got my k emblems from jayong mall, google it for spelling. Changing the emblem doesn't void the warranty...I have a thread on here with pics of how the k emblem looks :)

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
Hi,

2 months ago I bought our family a new 2012 Kia Sportage EX w/ Prem. Package. It's signal red and so far I/we love it. I'm also a new forum member and have trolled this board for a while gathering helpful answers to a lot of my questions so thank you...
Horn replacement discussion threads:
http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-sportage/65559-twin-horn-fitted.html
http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-sportage/77658-kia-sportage-upgrade-horn.html
http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-sportage/63326-horn.html

SX grille discussion thread:
http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-sportage/69840-sx-honeycomb-grille.html
E&G Classics Mesh Grille discussion thread:
http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-sportage/68539-sportage-2011-front-grille.html
Installation instructions:
http://www.egclassic.com/inventory/...IASportageSXMeshGrille-includes_Black_ice.pdf

Roof rack discussion thread:
http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-sportage/67273-roof-rack.html

I will abstain from any discussion regarding Korean Automotive Imports...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my k emblems from jayong mall, google it for spelling. Changing the emblem doesn't void the warranty...I have a thread on here with pics of how the k emblem looks :)
Thank you. I actually just read that last night and added it to my saved bookmarks so I can refer back when mine arrive in the mail. Again, thanks for the help! I am torn between getting those VIP K ones or the ones which have Pegasus next to a shield. Looks pretty cool too but not too crazy. Plus, you can get them with a red accent which looks to be about the same as the signal red paint I have: Pegasus Aluminium Front Radiator Rear Trunk Emblem(fit KIA Sportage R 2010 2011) | eBay

Will make up my mind today. Want to get my order in...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thx a lot for the links bluntman. I read most already but I missed 2 of the threads you linked so appreciate that...

Ps. Sounds like you're not a fan of Korean auto imports. Good to know. I have no idea where to shop but jayongmall sounds like the best bet from reading about others buying from there.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage EX 1.7cc Diesel - Manual transmission
154 Posts
3) I also want to replace the front grill with either a black ice mesh one or the honeycomb looking one that I believe comes on the SX. Is this super hard to do? Doesn't seem so but, I'm just a regular guy with regular tools. Whatever looks best on a signal red sportage works for me. I like the black/minimal look so don't want to get "chromed out" and go crazy adding chrome pieces everywhere.

I had posted these notes in another post.

http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-sportage/78934-kia-sportage-not-fit-purpose-3.html#post429211

care should be taken when dismantling the grill itself and patience should prevail. lol. the grill is mounted to the bumper itself but if you do it slowly you will not need to take the bumper off.

after you remove the top cover that covers the radiator you can access the screws that hold the grill to the bumper. some are narrow fit and you have to squeeze your hand to screw them.

it will take around 45 to 60 min to remove and reinstall the grill.

good luck

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx Censu! Super helpful. That's going to be my last mod. Still may just leave it stock but, love the black ice grill. Looks cool and doesn't change the sportage much. I don't want to make it look super "tweaked" etc. Just trying to make subtle improvements...

Thx again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts