Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Kia Soul with ~59,000 miles on it. New Interstate battery as of July 2021 (done as preventative maintenance).

PROBLEM: Our Kia Soul has an intermittent starting issue

BACKGROUND: A few weeks ago, my daughter said the Kia Soul would not start and made a clicking sound. She thought that the steering wheel was possibly stuck. She waited a bit and then was able to start it. This was odd to me so I decided to exchange the battery for a new one as, upon inspection, the Kia factory battery looked not so great (it was last replaced in 2016 or 2018- it is not clear from the info I have from the previous owner).

I ran into the same problem my daughter experienced. I have video of this (see KiaSoul.mov) . I waited and tried but could not get it to start. I left it overnight. In the morning, I used my code reader to see that there were no codes! On a whim, I tried to start it and it started right up with no issue! I am very confused.

I did some quick Google work and read about the grounding issues so I did move forward to make sure the battery cable attached to the chassis that had any paint removed. Fuses are fine. Power steering fluid is fine. Not sure if it is a starter although this care was lightly used by the previous owner so that does not seem likely. Alternator makes no sense as the battery is fine.

Any directions are greatly appreciated. :)

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,003 Posts
Couldn't make out anything from the video.

New battery, but I would still get it load tested at Autozone.

Next step measure the battery voltage when attempting to start.

Reactions: tobias_funke

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Voltage read 12.3 Volts via the code reader. Video only shows the click. click sound of turning the key with no start.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,003 Posts
Voltage read 12.3 Volts via the code reader. Video only shows the click. click sound of turning the key with no start.
That resting voltage is low, in addition to the fact that voltage is not a measure of the batteries health - a load test is required.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. Hard to believe a fresh Interstate battery from the main Interstate warehouse near me would give me a bad battery but it can happen. Will check it out. Thanks!

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,003 Posts
The symptoms are a bad battery or bad connection, and a load test at Autozone costs nothing.

Connection from Batt to chassis, chassis to engine grounding, Batt+ cable to starter, ...........

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Load test was fine. Any other suggestions? Someone suggested to check for a bad crankshaft position sensor. Not sure how easy that is to check.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,003 Posts
Load test was fine. Any other suggestions? Someone suggested to check for a bad crankshaft position sensor. Not sure how easy that is to check.
The symptoms are a bad battery or bad connection, and a load test at Autozone costs nothing.

Connection from Batt to chassis, chassis to engine grounding, Batt+ cable to starter, ...........
I'm keen to hear the explanation from "someone" that suggested the crankshaft position sensor - what you described is a clicking noise and the engine doesn't crank - if the engine was cranking, there might be some logic to that suggestion, although it would be pure guessing when diagnostics testing is way better than guesswork.

·
Registered
2012 Soul Base
17 Posts
Did you find out anything yet? I can't tell for sure but it looks like your car is an automatic transaxle? If so, try holding the key all the way in the start position and wiggling the shifter and see whether the starter engages (same thing with the clutch pedal on a manual - push it further down and so on). When the neutral safety switch starts to fail it'll sometimes go intermittent like that. If your car has been worked on someone could have bumped the plug on the transaxle and it may just need to be plugged all the way in, too. Or maybe she has a friend who has a sick sense of humor and needs their backside whipped (I have a daughter and two adult granddaughters - I know these things).

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is an automatic. Since the time of the post, there have been no issues. Intermittent issues suck!! We will monitor and see what happens and report back. Fingers crossed. Hopefully no backside whipping is required :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts