Kia Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Final Update:

The starter fluid did get the car running, but it starting making pinging noises the next day and the check engine light came on. Took it to O'Reilly's, and codes came up for one of the downstream 02 sensor being stuck open and something wrong with the camshaft timing.

*sigh*

By the time I got it to the mechanic, the pinging had stopped and the camshaft codes had disappeared from the computer ( no, I did not remove the battery ) but the o2 sensor was still flagged. $300 later, new o2 sensor and my Soul is happy - even if my wallet isn't.

They owner said I probably sprayed too much starter fluid into the intake ( he cringed a bit when I said that ) and it knocked the camshaft a bit out of whack and messed up the o2 sensor. The camshaft reset itself after afew cranks, but there was nothing that could be done but replace the sensor.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Thanks for the report. BUT next time give codes in the P _ _ _ _ format, it's easier for others to work with to respond!
We can't tell how much fluid you sprayed in ...ONLY a short shot is all that's needed to see if it will ignite and tell if you have spark as was suggested. was not meant to get it running steady.
Camshaft codes needed in P format also...Was it sensor or is the timing belt skipped teeth? A belt OR chain will NOT reset itself!

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Final Update:

The starter fluid did get the car running, but it starting making pinging noises the next day and the check engine light came on. Took it to O'Reilly's, and codes came up for one of the downstream 02 sensor being stuck open and something wrong with the camshaft timing.

*sigh*

By the time I got it to the mechanic, the pinging had stopped and the camshaft codes had disappeared from the computer ( no, I did not remove the battery ) but the o2 sensor was still flagged. $300 later, new o2 sensor and my Soul is happy - even if my wallet isn't.

They owner said I probably sprayed too much starter fluid into the intake ( he cringed a bit when I said that ) and it knocked the camshaft a bit out of whack and messed up the o2 sensor. The camshaft reset itself after afew cranks, but there was nothing that could be done but replace the sensor.
A whole lot a wild guessing going on there.

There's no way that the starter fluid can "knocked the camshaft a bit out of whack and messed up the o2 sensor".

How the hell can the "camshaft reset itself after afew cranks"?
Probably poorly maintained and sludge is effecting the variable valve timing solenoids.

Find a qualified reputable mechanic to work on your vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Excelsior! The starter fluid allowed the engine to catch and it started. Blew a LOT of white smoke out the tailpipe at first, but it running! Let it run for 2 minutes, turned it off, and was able to start it again. Same test after 15 minutes of rest - and it started again.

Thanks for everyone's help - and instruction on the correct definition of crank vs start.

I'm back to the original problem now, so I'll be posting a new thread for it.
"Blew a LOT of white smoke out the tailpipe at first" - the starter fluid would not cause that, and its an indication that there's something else wrong, like coolant leaking into the engine through a blown head gasket, and that is most likely what poisoned the O2 sensor.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts