Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul + 2.0L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here we go! I'll start with a little background on my vehicle. 2012 Kia Soul + with the 2.0L engine (California) and automatic transmission. The odometer just clicked past 91,000 miles. I've owned the vehicle since it was new. I do all the maintenance myself (30 years as a technician...). I've had no real issues with the car except for a blower motor with a mind of its own...(I replaced it myself with a factory part and it works like it was brand new).
My dilemma is this. Just a few weeks ago the engine began randomly stalling while coming to a stop, usually while driving slightly downhill. Then, when I tried to re-start the engine one of two things would happen. It would either fire right back up or it would take 3-4 tries to get the engine started. Then, the idle would be rough, briefly, and the tach would be dead. Then, the Trans wouldn't downshift below the highest gear attained. What I mean by that is once I fired the engine back up and put it back into Drive the Trans would up-shift normally but it wouldn't downshift. So I'd come to another stop sign and the Trans would still be in 4th, for example. No check engine light. Most of the time it idles and runs fine! HELP!!!

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,401 Posts
So many things going on there that my guess would be something electrical. Have you tested the battery? How about the big battery wires/connectors, fuse box leads, and grounds? Or maybe something going on inside the fuse box. (is there corrosion on any of the fuses or relays?)

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul + 2.0L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cleaned the ground connections on each shock tower and added an extra ground cable from the negative side of the battery to the engine. My battery is only a few months old and keeps a charge nicely, and the alternator is good. Just today I got the "check engine" light to come on so I drove it to Pep Boys and got a free engine light scan. Kia wanted $141 just to hook up to my ECU. It showed a P0335 code, crankshaft position sensor. I tracked one down at my local Kia dealer (it was actually cheaper than what Pep Boys wanted, $86 vs $96) and installed it myself. It's located at the rear of the engine facing towards the front of the vehicle, and took me about 15 minutes to replace it! So far the vehicle is running without stalling!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I cleaned the ground connections on each shock tower and added an extra ground cable from the negative side of the battery to the engine. My battery is only a few months old and keeps a charge nicely, and the alternator is good. Just today I got the "check engine" light to come on so I drove it to Pep Boys and got a free engine light scan. Kia wanted $141 just to hook up to my ECU. It showed a P0335 code, crankshaft position sensor. I tracked one down at my local Kia dealer (it was actually cheaper than what Pep Boys wanted, $86 vs $96) and installed it myself. It's located at the rear of the engine facing towards the front of the vehicle, and took me about 15 minutes to replace it! So far the vehicle is running without stalling!
Your post saved me countless unknown hours of electrical troubleshooting, thanks!! My daughter's 2013 2.0 Soul+ was having similar stalling and sluggishness symptoms intermittently with no check engine light or code. Replaced the CPS and the issues went away!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,989 Posts
Your post saved me countless unknown hours of electrical troubleshooting, thanks!! My daughter's 2013 2.0 Soul+ was having similar stalling and sluggishness symptoms intermittently with no check engine light or code. Replaced the CPS and the issues went away!
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts