Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Sorrento guzzles oil. My dealer knows it and knows the car is faulty butt Kia will not approve an engine replacement until the proper code comes up on the check engine light, which according to the dealer will probably never happen. The last time I was at the dealer they put tape over the oil cap and dipstick and told me to come back in1500 miles and it was almost 3qts low, this has been going on for the last 15,000 miles. My warranty is about to expire with no resolution in sight. My dealer said my best bet was no put oil in it and seize (of course this was off the record) and then te would replace the engine like they should. I am at a loss as to what to do

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
507 Posts
Any off record statement will not be honered. Don't trust them. How about trading it in on another vehicle? How close are you to being out of warranty? If you run it out of oil the will state customer neglect and your left holding the bag...my 2 cents....

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,279 Posts
.. Kia will not approve an engine replacement until the proper code comes up on the check engine light....
That's not the only reason for Kia to replace engines. They also replace them under warranty for excessive oil usage.

... The last time I was at the dealer they put tape over the oil cap and dipstick and told me to come back in1500 miles and it was almost 3qts low....
Something is wrong with this picture. I've read multiple accounts of Kia/Hyundai engines being replaced under warranty for oil usage of 1 quart in 800 miles. At 1 quart per 500 miles, the replacement engine for your vehicle should be a done deal. And just an aside that they should have told you to come back in 1000 miles or less for oil consumption monitoring.

… I am at a loss as to what to do
I suspect your dealer is not using the correct protocol to communicate with Kia on your issue. You need to contact Kia Corporate directly (online or phone) ASAP and open a case with them. You will describe your situation, and make it clear to them that your warranty is nearly done. This is something you need to do on your own - do not go through your dealer with it. KIa/Hyundai is being examined under a microscope for all of the Theta engine issues, so I would be surprised if the outcome of this is anything other than a replacement engine for your vehicle.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
508 Posts
I would keep adding oil every 500 miles or so, and start making plans to trade it in. If it's consuming that much oil, you are right: you'll need a replacement engine. The problem is, you're replacing the engine on a 2012 vehicle. It's still old.. the transmission is old, and you will likely have electrical problems of some kind in the near future. It depends how much you like this car, I guess. But if it were me, I would trade it in.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
507 Posts
Other thoughts include : Perhaps try a 'High Mileage' type motor oil. Several name brands are out there.
I have had success in the past with these types of oils.
Continue to use a premium oil filter and air filter.

That may help the issue just enough that you can live with it.

Since you had it to a dealership we assume that the PCV valve was checked, replaced or verified functional?
You really don't describe how the vehicle has been maintained or how many miles are upon her.....

If its blowing that much oil I am surprised the plugs haven't fouled. causing misfire issues. and throwing an OBD II light?
Are you sure oil is not leaking out of the engine past some major seals?
Just some additional food for thought....

·
Registered
Kia Sedona EX 2012
4 Posts
"I am at a loss as to what to do."

My Son had this same excessive oil consumption problem with his 2010 Chevy Impalla, with nearly the idential response from the Dealer and factory representative. GM was going to do NOTHING . He googled his problem and found this to be a cronic Chevy engine problem, and found admissions from anonymous former GM emplyees that GM purposefully allowed a "sloppy" cylinder-piston fit on this V6 engine from the factory, , , , it improves gas milage. AND, GM still insisted on using 5W-30 engine oil, also to improve gas milage.
I finally convinced him to switch to a heavier weight motor oil and he changed to 10W-30. His oil consumption dropped dramatically to one quart in 3000 miles. One should always remember that our older vehicle engines used 10W-30 oil, and the main reason the auto manufacturers switched to a thinner motor oil (5W-30) was to meet the newer more stringent gas consumption standards from NHTSA. In extreme oil consumption situations, such as noted by the originator of this thread, I would not be afraid to switch to 15W-40 Rotella oil, which is a diesel truck motor oil. The only caveat to note would be that in very cold weather (-25 degrees F and colder) starting could be a problem. Just keep the vehicle garaged at night. And naturally, gas consumption would increase - might cost you up to 10-20 gallons of gas per year more. I used 15W-40 Rotella oil in my 1968 Pontiac wagon, which we treated as a truck, having a 400 cid V8 and it was going strong at 215,000 miles, when the body rusted out so bad, that exhaust fumes entering the rust holes, forcing us to junk it. BTW, my sons Impala no longer is a problem, since his wife slid it into the back of a stopped truck during the first snow of this season.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
845 Posts
@Farmpa

I totally agree with you that the primary drive to go to lower viscosity oils is fuel economy (as the car manufacturers try to hit the ever more stringent CAFE targets).

I also agree with you that moving to a "thicker" oil sometimes can help with excessive oil consumption - but many times it doesn't make any difference at all.

Trying a different brand of oil or moving to a high-mileage oil can sometimes also help - but not always.

Other things such as a new PCV valve, several runs with a good fuel system cleaner, cleaning the intake valves, etc. are other options that can also sometimes help. But many times, none of these options will help.

However, moving from a 5W-30 to a 10W-30 multi-grade will NOT make much of a difference as they are both 30 grade oils at operating temps. Their different "winter" ratings (the 5W and the 10W) will only make a difference in sub-zero temps - they will have very little impact on the actual viscosity (thickness) of the oil at operating temps. (Yes it is true that, all other things being equal, the 10W-30 oil is formulated using a slightly higher viscosity base oil then the 5W-30 oil. However, the differences in their viscosities at operating temps will still be negligible at best.)

Now as to moving up to a 15W-40 multi-grade oil, sure it might not cause any issues, other than hurting your fuel economy that is. But I still wouldn't recommend going that thick of an oil on a car that is specked for a 5W-30 oil (unless, of course, you happen to live in a tropical climate). And no, I definitely wouldn't recommend using it in colder climates.

Now you should never use a motor oil in a gasoline engine that was formulated to be used only in a diesel engine. The additive package in those motor oils are specifically designed for a diesel engine and usually don't provide many of the performance requirements consistent with vehicle manufacturers’ recommendations for gasoline-fueled engines.

Now of course there are some diesel oils that have been formulated to also be used in gasoline engines. Those meet both the diesel API classification (the “C” categories) and the gasoline API classification (the “S” categories). In this case they can be use in both types of engines. (Although I still usually recommend using a gasoline motor oil in a gasoline engine.)

Richard

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
845 Posts
But coming back to the OP's situation...

I think 3 quarts of oil in 1500 miles is excessive and the engine should be replaced under warranty.

...Or trade it in for a new one as some posters above have suggested.

Good luck! Hope things work out for you.

Richard

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,407 Posts
My 2012 Sorrento guzzles oil. My dealer knows it and knows the car is faulty butt Kia will not approve an engine replacement until the proper code comes up on the check engine light, which according to the dealer will probably never happen. The last time I was at the dealer they put tape over the oil cap and dipstick and told me to come back in1500 miles and it was almost 3qts low, this has been going on for the last 15,000 miles. My warranty is about to expire with no resolution in sight. My dealer said my best bet was no put oil in it and seize (of course this was off the record) and then te would replace the engine like they should. I am at a loss as to what to do
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your Profile/Account Details

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/account-details

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have a 2012 that’s a gas/oil guzzler and because I’m a female, my dealership is always trying to run a game on me. This vehicle has been guzzling oil and gas like I showed it a money tree or something. Dealership claims there’s no problem but I need to switch to synthetic oil. Bull crap and Kia needs to take responsibility. I also have a problem that my gas cap stop working and this crazy place is trying to tell me in order to fix/replace the cover, it will be to costly. I told those darn crazy fools that even though they think I look as though I was born yesterday, I assure you I was not. Also, my vehicles has this ticking sound since I’ve had it and dealer claims they can find nothing wrong with the car. Someone PLEASE tell me they are having problems with their 2012 Kia Sorento EX.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I also have a 2012 that’s a gas/oil guzzler and because I’m a female, my dealership is always trying to run a game on me. This vehicle has been guzzling oil and gas like I showed it a money tree or something. Dealership claims there’s no problem but I need to switch to synthetic oil. Bull crap and Kia needs to take responsibility. I also have a problem that my gas cap stop working and this crazy place is trying to tell me in order to fix/replace the cover, it will be to costly. I told those darn crazy fools that even though they think I look as though I was born yesterday, I assure you I was not. Also, my vehicles has this ticking sound since I’ve had it and dealer claims they can find nothing wrong with the car. Someone PLEASE tell me they are having problems with their 2012 Kia Sorento EX.
You should really do a cut and paste and start a new thread since many may not read your call for help.
You did sort of hijack the OP's thread.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts