Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

We have a 2012 Kia Sorrento where both brake lights stopped working. Third brake light works and as do all the other lights

The fuse is fine and so are the bulbs.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX
31 Posts
The next thing I would look at is the brake light switch. It is usually on the brake petal shaft and is activated when the petal is pushed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could the brake light switch affect only 2 of the 3 brake lights? (my 3rd brake light is working)

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX
31 Posts
Could the brake light switch affect only 2 of the 3 brake lights? (my 3rd brake light is working)
You are right it's probably not the switch. I read that on some cars the third brake light has a separate fuse but looking at the owners manual I can't see that it does on Sorentos. I see in the underhood fuse panel there's a 15A and a 7.5A with stop light in the wording. You probably did this but I would ohm out with a meter to verify there is a complete circuit through the stoplight filament side of the bulb even though is looks good. This is just a shot in the dark because it's not likely both bulbs would be bad.

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
1 Posts
So what was it? Same issue here. Neither main brake lights work. Fuse good. Bulbs good. Third light works.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2013
1 Posts
Same here....

I too am experiencing where 2 of my 3 brake lights are no longer working. Replaced the bulbs and fuse but still, the two are not working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone find any answers on this? My lower brake lights quit working but the 3rd still works too. Not finding a bad fuse and put new bulbs in the lights.

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
169 Posts
From the KIA shop manual: "Stop lamps do not light" - Possible cause: Bulb burnt out; Stop lamp fuse (15A) blown; Stop lamp switch faulty; Wiring or ground faulty. KIA uses the KIA GDS to help troubleshoot problems as it can be used to force systems like the brake light output on for testing. At the IPM connector module, it is listed that on plug "K" wire #2 as Stop Lamp LH/RH output and wire #3 as Stop lamp power. This can be used as a test point for trouble shooting. The two bulbs pull ~28 watts of power by the manual while the upper light is LED and hardly pulls any power at all. A bad switch or wiring/ground could bleed through enough current to power the LED upper light but not enough to light the LH/RH lamps. This thread goes back to 2016 (two years ago) and no one has answered with the fix for their problem. I sure hope these people are not on the road with no working brake lights. A lot of people here asking the same question but no one hear can take the time to reply back to this thread with what fixed their problem. Also if you take the time read through some of the other information on this forum, you will see other problems related to the brake switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Problem Here...

Please!

Anyone have any other ideas here? I too have same issue.

-2 lower brake lights not working on Kia Sorento 2013. Top(middle) brake light works fine. Changed bulbs (double filament bulbs for taillights also - those work fine). Checked the fuses (pretty sure I got these right, I pulled out the one I thought based on manual, then middle brake light stopped working as well, put back in and it started working again). Also, I went and purchased new brake switch (even though I didn't think this was a problem) - So new bulbs, checked fuses, new switch... but still my two lower brakelights will not come on when brake is pushed.

We have a trip coming up next weekend. I guess I might have to take to mechanic. Was hoping to resolve myself.

Any other ideas on this thread???!!????

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento
1 Posts
Well I just joined to see if anybody resolved this issue... I have an appointment for next week at the dealer but was hoping to fix it myself.

2 brake lights don't work; high brake light does. I've replaced the bulbs and the switch, just in case.
It's obviously not ground because the other filament lights up when the driving lights are turned on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts