Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento- LE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

Just recently this stopped working, we have to open the fuel door by pulling the T-handle cable in the back hatch. I took the button out of the door, it looked OK.. Has anyone else had this happen? Is it plug and play if I order a new button?

Thanks

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
704 Posts
There are several problems that can happen. If you do a search in the forum, you'll see the various issues for the Sorento along with other models.
  • Button isn't making a good electrical contact. Some fixed this by cleaning the electrical button the driver uses
  • Door is "sticky". Could be due to a dry latch and/or weak spring. Solve by applying some silicone lube spray once fuel door is opened
  • Broken post. Don't think this is your issue as you opened it with the T-handle
You can determine which may work by listening to what is occurring. Is there a noise when the button is pressed or is it silent? You could also try as many as you can until problem is repaired.

There are some Youtube videos where others replace the broken post - which is attached to the T-handle.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento- LE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good morning,

Just recently this stopped working, we have to open the fuel door by pulling the T-handle cable in the back hatch. I took the button out of the door, it looked OK.. Has anyone else had this happen? Is it plug and play if I order a new button?

Thanks
Good morning,
I did pull the button out and clean the contacts, ironically enough, if I lay a screw driver across the contacts, the fuel lid opens, But still doesn't work when I reseat the button and try to open by pushing the button. I assumed the button was bad. I ordered a new "OEM" and was going to re-install a new one. After I dug into it, the wiring connection didn't look like a plug , it appeared to be wired together with a rubber sleeve covering it. I returned the new button and are now using the T-handle... Should the new plug just plug into the existing harness?

Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento- LE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also,
Is there a video that shows the installation of a new button?
Thanks

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
704 Posts
That post shows the button clearly. If it doesn't twist off, just pull it apart with force. The wires look like they are soldered on to the bottom part of the button or by male/female connectors. When the button is pressed, the contacts on the bottom part of the button are connected. You need to clean both the 2 contacts on the bottom part of the button and the plate on the top part of the button.

Great post of the button. I'll add it to the post of videos as it looks like it may happen eventually the longer you keep your Sorento.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento- LE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That post shows the button clearly. If it doesn't twist off, just pull it apart with force. The wires look like they are soldered on to the bottom part of the button or by male/female connectors. When the button is pressed, the contacts on the bottom part of the button are connected. You need to clean both the 2 contacts on the bottom part of the button and the plate on the top part of the button.

Great post of the button. I'll add it to the post of videos as it looks like it may happen eventually the longer you keep your Sorento.
Good morning,

I cleaned both posts and it started working again, I appreciate your info...

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts