Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am adding an amp to my 2012 Rio EX (with UVO) and have hit a snag.

To make the install into the OEM harness easy and to avoid cutting the wires in the existing harness, I purchased the following pre-wired connections from Metra:

70-7304 to connect to the harness
71-7304 to connect to the radio

The intent was to join the above two and break out the speaker cables to/from the amp. This would make it easy to remove the amp when I sell the car in the future and also provide a little slack to make it easier to work with as I can wire everything away from the dash and then just plug it in-line between the radio and the harness when everything is hooked up.

My problem is the 71-7304 connection contains a wire for every contact in the plug that connects to the radio, however the 70-7304 does not contain contacts for the following pins:

5 = "-" which means it's probably not needed
6 = "-" which means it's probably not needed
7 = "I/P Junction Box (Fuse Cluster)"
8 = "ILL +"
14 = "-" which means it's probably not needed
15 = "-" which means it's probably not needed
16 = "[UVO Audio] BCM Door Unlock Signal"
18 = "Roof Antenna"

I'm not worried about 5,6,14,15 as they seem to not have any purpose but 7,8,16,18 appear to be important and will inhibit certain functions in the radio.

Any suggestions other than abandoning this route and to start cutting wires in harness ?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After 40 mins on hold I finally got through to Metra.
They do not currently make a fully populated 70-7305 harness connector.
Crutchfield don't have anything else either.
So much for the easy/clean route :)

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Accent
134 Posts
I was considering this also, and spoke to Metra about it.

There are a couple of options:

You can get multiple 70-7304 connectors and use the wires to populate the initial one.

I think you would need a total of 4 connectors to fully populate one to match the harness diagrams on KGIS (there are two different connector pin sizes), but I don't know if all those wires are used on all cars or if they have to be connected.

It is more wires than you listed also:

There is one missing large pin wire - Connector B Pin 23 - Camera PGND for the rear view camera.

There are 14 missing small pin wires.

NVM - I see what you are doing - you are only worrying about the speaker wires on Connector A:

Metra told me that pins 8 and 18 should be pinned already.

It is pins 7, 16, and 17 (Illumination -) that you need to worry about. (Maybe I misunderstood them and 17 is pinned and 8 is not.

Anyway - it you were wanting to do ALL the wires, you might be able to get the Pins from MOUSER or similar less expensively, but I don't know the pin/contact numbers.

It looks like you can do what you want with only one additional plug and that was a good idea not messing with the B connector.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Accent
134 Posts
Thought about this some more. Essentially, you have three options:

• The most elegant (and costly) involves what I recommended above - buying a second 70-7304 harness and cannibalizing it for the additional wires you need. This has the advantage that NO factory wiring is modified (possibly important for lease concerns), but requires you to have pin extraction tools (or workarounds) and requires the most time/effort/expense.
  • The simplest solution is to just cut the wires on the Kia Harness and splice them back together along with the corresponding wires on the Metra 71-7304 Harness. Then when you sold the car, you would cut the speaker wires on the Metra 71-7304 harness and re-connect the factory harness. The drawback here is that when you removed the amp, there would still be the Metra harness behind the dash so when you or the new owner took the car into the shop, the technician could accidentally plug the Metra harness into the radio and the radio would not play.
  • The last option is a compromise of the second. You could use T-Taps on the 4 un-pinned wires and quick-disconnects to connect to the Metra 71-7304 Harness. Now, when you remove the amp, you disconnect the QD's from the T-taps and remove both Metra harnesses. Technically, you aren't CUTTING the factory wires, and the car is restored without any extra plugs (although a careful inspection will show the four non-connected T-Taps). The drawback to this is that many people say T-Taps are not secure connections - although they have always worked fine for me in the past.

·
Registered
2013 Sportage EX AWD
144 Posts
I bought the Metra 71-7304
OEM Harness for Kia / Hyundai Vehicles 2010-UP

How do I remove the wires (large pins)?

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Accent
134 Posts
Sorry - didn't see this post previously.

Ideally, you would use pin extraction tools.

Short of that, you can probably use any thin solid shaft (jewelers screwdriver, awl), or most any auto mechanic can probably help you out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts