Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima SX 2.0T
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, totally new here an just avg.(or below) when it comes to cars. I have a 2012 Optima SX TURBO. Purchased brand new with 5 miles in 2012. No accidents never missed an oil change, and I currently have 86k miles. I’m lost and can’t figure out. Almost every day now for two weeks on my morning drive to work I accelerate and if I let go of gas to slow down and the re-accelerate my optima won’t accelerate its like its ina brief neutral and ill pump gas a couple of times and it’s all back to normal. Usually only happens on the morning drive. I just switched my air filter to a K&N and added sea foam to gas tank. Seems to have helped about 80%. I have never changed spark plugs on it, I have read a ton of you alls posts on different spark plugs I want the best for my car. My car is just used to an from work not for performance no mods nothing crazy. I just want it to run great with no lag. So my question is what spark plugs do you all recommend an where can I purchase I’ve looked at autozone and seen those Dyso and Bosh ones. Is the plug the only thing I should change or coils too? All you help and advise is greatly appreciated. From my understanding the spark plugs should be easy to change for a novice correct?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo 2020 Sportage LX FWD
235 Posts
Hello, totally new here an just avg.(or below) when it comes to cars. I have a 2012 Optima SX TURBO. Purchased brand new with 5 miles in 2012. No accidents never missed an oil change, and I currently have 86k miles. I’m lost and can’t figure out. Almost every day now for two weeks on my morning drive to work I accelerate and if I let go of gas to slow down and the re-accelerate my optima won’t accelerate its like its ina brief neutral and ill pump gas a couple of times and it’s all back to normal. Usually only happens on the morning drive. I just switched my air filter to a K&N and added sea foam to gas tank. Seems to have helped about 80%. I have never changed spark plugs on it, I have read a ton of you alls posts on different spark plugs I want the best for my car. My car is just used to an from work not for performance no mods nothing crazy. I just want it to run great with no lag. So my question is what spark plugs do you all recommend an where can I purchase I’ve looked at autozone and seen those Dyso and Bosh ones. Is the plug the only thing I should change or coils too? All you help and advise is greatly appreciated. From my understanding the spark plugs should be easy to change for a novice correct?
Should be able to buy from dealer for 8-12$(x4). And yes, easy to change if you have the socket. 80$ish should get the job done at the dealer, and less of course if you order the plugs thru a Kia parts dealer online (Google "OEM Kia parts") and do it yourself / private garage

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
974 Posts
Lose the K&N filter. They use a oil coating on the filter to catch dust. This oil finds its way onto your Mass Air Flow Sensor Wire, coating it and creating drivability issues. Yes, you get more air to the engine but not enough to justify the MAF issues. Second, install new spark plugs. Your do it or a trusted garage. Add a big bottle of Chevron Fuel System Cleaner to a full tank of Premium Fuel. Then run it on the freeway for a half hour or so. We assume no check engine light is on? Take it to Auto Zone or equiv for a reading of any stored error codes. Get back with us on what is found. Good luck!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima SX 2.0T
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lose the K&N filter. They use a oil coating on the filter to catch dust. This oil finds its way onto your Mass Air Flow Sensor Wire, coating it and creating drivability issues. Yes, you get more air to the engine but not enough to justify the MAF issues. Second, install new spark plugs. Your do it or a trusted garage. Add a big bottle of Chevron Fuel System Cleaner to a full tank of Premium Fuel. Then run it on the freeway for a half hour or so. We assume no check engine light is on? Take it to Auto Zone or equiv for a reading of any stored error codes. Get back with us on what is found. Good luck!
Really?! Lost the K&N?! Lol I just dropped all the loot on it! Okay you all seem to know best. That’s correct no check engine light is on. I’m going to be changing spark plugs tomorrow. Thank you all for the tips!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
974 Posts
Really?! Lost the K&N?! Lol I just dropped all the loot on it! Okay you all seem to know best. That’s correct no check engine light is on. I’m going to be changing spark plugs tomorrow. Thank you all for the tips!
Yep, others may chime in supporting my statement as well.
You can shoot google a question and read more there.
Don't forget the Chevron Fuel System Cleaner on top of a tank of super premium fuel.....

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,140 Posts
You wasted your money on the K&N filter - nothing to gain and more to risk.

If it is the "Drop-In" K&N filter then it should be fine, but if its the so called "cold air" arrangement and oiled, very risky.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
974 Posts
You wasted your money on the K&N filter - nothing to gain and more to risk.

If it is the "Drop-In" K&N filter then it should be fine, but if its the so called "cold air" arrangement and oiled, very risky.
Yes, I should have been more clear...sorry. The drop in is OK. The cold air funnel shaped one has the oil. + they are a pain to maintain. Wash with special cleaner, let dry for 24 hours, re-oil with special oil - reinstall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts