Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima Hybrid
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon All,

I have been searching online and watching YouTube videos, but have not found anything about my car, so I am here hoping to shine some light on my noise problem.
My 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid is making a very loud screeching noise when I push the gas pedal and at certain times while I am driving. It is VERY loud and embarrassing. It sounds like it is coming from the lower part of the engine on the passenger side. I have had the serpentine and accessory belts replaced, which was needed, and was hopeful as I drove away from the mechanics with no screeching sound. BUT within 5 minutes the screeching sound slowly came back, at first sounding far off into the distance, and then back to its crazy loud screech. I replaced the lower tensioner that is closer to the headlights and that did not help. That tensioner seemed to need replacing because it did not spring back when moved, so I was really hoping that was the cause of this screeching sound that lasts about a second long whenever the gas engine is engaged. Has anyone else had this problem? Were you able to figure out how to fix it? My Kia has about 145k miles on it, but I am hoping to keep her going for as long as possible since I still have a few more months of payments and then want to be payment free for a few years. My previous car was a 2008 Kia Optima and I never had any issues until a lady drove her car into mine, totaling it, because she was looking at her phone instead of watching the highway during rush-hour traffic. I get my oil serviced regularly as well.

TIA,
Toni

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Please post only ONCE...
Duplicates may get answers you may miss and they also clutter up the forums...
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,888 Posts
Is this happening with the a/c on or off? And if you have traced it to the serpentine drive belt area then could be the start of worn alternator bearings or some other belt idler bearing going bad.
But if you could please let us know where geographically you are? It would better help us know general driving conditions of where you're at.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima Hybrid
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It happens when the a/c is on or off. I live in Wisconsin and visit family in New York a few times a year, hence the high mileage. I know the alternator is expensive, but is there a way to replace just the bearings? I already bought some tools to change out the one tensioner, but getting the belt back on was brutal until I tried getting it on from the bottom of the car. Also, I am going to download a decibel reader on my phone to see if I can pinpoint the exact place the noise is coming from. Thank you for getting back to me, there is not a lot of information online for DIY fixes on the Kia Optima Hybrid and I am trying to fix this before I have to drive about 2,000 miles over a 2 week period.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,888 Posts
Hopefully this response will go through this time! I've tried posting my response 2X and it and thread DISAPPEARED!
MY experience has been to remove any belts and hand "wobble test" then hand spin each bearinged pulley while listening for noise. You can also then compare with the pulley(s) you have replaced to make judgement.
IMO, I wouldn't try and replace the alternator bearings, as the risk to internal components is too great even IF proper bearings were readily available. Along with the fact that at your mileage that the electricals are getting old also. I suggest a good quality Remanufactured unit IF you find that it is alternator bearing going bad.
Good Luck! :)

HOORAY IT WENT THROUGH THIS TIME!!!! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
It happens when the a/c is on or off. I live in Wisconsin and visit family in New York a few times a year, hence the high mileage. I know the alternator is expensive, but is there a way to replace just the bearings? I already bought some tools to change out the one tensioner, but getting the belt back on was brutal until I tried getting it on from the bottom of the car. Also, I am going to download a decibel reader on my phone to see if I can pinpoint the exact place the noise is coming from. Thank you for getting back to me, there is not a lot of information online for DIY fixes on the Kia Optima Hybrid and I am trying to fix this before I have to drive about 2,000 miles over a 2 week period.
Did you ever figure out what the noise was? Im having the same issue and my mechanic said it was "most likely the belt and i decided to go ahead and do the tensioner while we are at it. But now that im reading your story im worried im wasting time and money.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,772 Posts
Did you ever figure out what the noise was? Im having the same issue and my mechanic said it was "most likely the belt and i decided to go ahead and do the tensioner while we are at it. But now that im reading your story im worried im wasting time and money.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts