Kia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in an accident at 35mph. Someone turned in front of me. The passenger side got more of the damage since I turned my wheel to avoid a direct head on hit. The hood was also damaged. The airbag did not deploy and I was thrown into the steering wheel (had my seat belt on). The police officer led me to believe that it should have. When is it supposed to? I have a friend with the same car who just had a similar accident going 65mph and her airbag did not deploy either. She was injured more than I was. Although she was wearing her seat belt, the impact caused her to hit the steering wheel. There was no airbag there to protect her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what you meant about sacrificing the passenger. There wasn't one in either accident. My repairs cost the 17 year old wreckless driver's insurance co. close to $5K. The other KIA (separate accident) has repair costs of $7K. Not minor accidents with those repair costs!

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
The airbags deploy based on deceleration - not necessarily based on how smashed up the car is. If you didn't have significant immediate deceleration, the airbag will not go off. It also takes other things into consideration - angle of the steering wheel is a big one. Someone else may know better than I, but I don't believe the bag will deploy if the steering wheel is turned past a certain point. The airbag is designed as a supplement to the seat belt, and if the information data the car gathers determines deployment is not needed - the air bag won't deploy.

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
I agree. There are certain instances where the air bag doesn't go off. The frontals usually go off with a direct hit, and sides with a direct hit to the side. Nowadays, everything will go off in SOME cars, but not all (in the correct situations). Because you turned away, there was less deceleration and probably because of where you got hit exactly. I'm thinking there are not any sensors between the front doors and the bumper, so if you got hit there and were turning away from the inevitable hit (which it sounds like you did), I don't see why they would go off.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
Not sure what you meant about sacrificing the passenger. There wasn't one in either accident. My repairs cost the 17 year old reckless driver's insurance co. close to $5K. The other KIA (separate accident) has repair costs of $7K. Not minor accidents with those repair costs!
It's all determined by the accelerometer unit. I'm just surprised that 65 a MPH crash didn't pop the bag. $7k doesn't sound like much these days.

Sorry about the passenger wise-crack. I have seen cases where a car-load of people is like having a pre-deployed air-bag system. A recent crash + rollover in our town had a car full of joy-riders in a stolen car; no injuries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Air Bags are NOT deploying!

As kcskorner pointed out, the air bags are NOT deploying!

My wife was involved in a crash yesterday doing 30 MPH. The other car doing 30 MPH crossed the center line and hit them head-on. (Together it adds up to 60 MPH.)

The other cars 2007 Ford Fusion air bag deployed. My wife's 2012 KIA Forte air bags did NOT deploy. Both her and her passenger, our son, were hurt in the accident because the lap and shoulder belts alone held them. My sons knees went into the dashboard. Both of them went to the ER with Minor injuries

IF the air bags deployed, it would have 'held them in place' like the air bags are supposed to do and the injuries would not have been so severe.

I am waiting to hear back from our Insurance company to see if there was any valid reason WHY they didn't deploy.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,789 Posts
My wife was involved in a crash yesterday doing 30 MPH. The other car doing 30 MPH crossed the center line and hit them head-on. (Together it adds up to 60 MPH.)
It does not. It is still 30 as the force is split between two cars.
As tests have shown - going 30 mph and hitting an object is same as tow cars colliding in head-on collision at 30 mph each.
It would be truth if we considered two rigid objects - then the force (on the point of contact) would be 60 MPH. But even with the cars that collide at 30+30, the first time they touch each other - both will suffer damage as it was 30 mph.
In other words - if you hit a wall at 60 mph - it is like 60 mph accident.
If you, on the other hand, hit a stationery car in head on collision doing 60 mph - it will end up almost like 30 mph.

The other cars 2007 Ford Fusion air bag deployed. My wife's 2012 KIA Forte air bags did NOT deploy.
That does not constitute your airbag should deploy. There are more factors to take into account. Angle, severity of impact, occupation, seat belts...

IF the air bags deployed, it would have 'held them in place' like the air bags are supposed to do and the injuries would not have been so severe.
Not quite.
Air bag will not hold you. It will slow you down, but it is still a collision. In order for the airbag to work properly you must seat in the right position and must wear seat belts correctly positioned. It is always ideal position during tests.

Now, you say she was driving 30 mph and the airbag did not deploy.
That would be two stories of airbag not deploying with Forte.
During short research I found two more complains about air bags not deploying...

I hope you reported the accident KIA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well if the air bag sensor is not hit, then the air bag wont deploy, Sometimes it better that the airbag does not deploy cos in some cases, it causes more injury den protect you and if somehow you are at fault, each air bag replacement can be a bomb $$$ and it will jack up your insurance high high.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 KIA Forte air bags did not deploy

As kcskorner pointed out, the air bags are NOT deploying!

The other cars 2007 Ford Fusion air bag deployed. My wife's 2012 KIA Forte air bags did NOT deploy. Both her and her passenger, our son, were hurt in the accident because the lap and shoulder belts alone held them. My sons knees went into the dashboard. Both of them went to the ER with Minor injuries

I am waiting to hear back from our Insurance company to see if there was any valid reason WHY they didn't deploy.
The same thing happened to my friends 2012 KIA Forte except that the passenger was killed. The air bags did not go off and they should have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hit head on and my steering airbag deployed but i also hit 2 from the back and none of my side airbags deployed??? Is there a reason why?

·
Registered
13 Rio SLS Man
103 Posts
I hit head on and my steering airbag deployed but i also hit 2 from the back and none of my side airbags deployed??? Is there a reason why?
Side bags will only deploy if there is a side impact or a severe rollover, not rear impact as they provide no protection.

And to hear other people on here stating that a passenger died because the 'bag didn't deploy is ludicrous, the passenger died because the car they were riding in was involved in a smash, a violent, out of control event, the first letter in the SRS acronym stands for "supplementary", its not the sole job of an airbag to save a life, its upto all the systems on a car to work together, sometimes, certain accidents, seemingly at low speed are unsurvivable.

Reactions: DavesSpectra

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue I was going 60 miles an hour and a car stopped in front of me I tied to stop but the break did not work so I then tried to turn to the right side of the car but I crashed in the car, my car was damaged totally from the right front side and it is totally wrecked the company said that it can not be repaired!! and the airbags didn't not deploy I had minor injuries from that crash so I think there is something wrong with all the KIA koup 2012 models

·
Registered
54 Posts
No system is perfect. As someone stated, air bags are a "supplemental" safety system - SRS = Supplemental Restraint System. They deploy dependent on deceleration rate, frequency of the crash, etc. They may not deploy on what you "feel" or visually interpret as a severe crash. The picture is what I did 3 years ago to our former 2008 Sonata. Not former because it was totaled lol. Former because we traded it in 6 months later for the Forte. It was a hard hit. Totally my fault. My first accident in 26 years and it was my fault lol. A hard hit by any standard. Bumper beam and radiator support tweaked. No air bag deployment. I was a little stiff in the following days but the air bag deployment would have done nothing other than add to the $4900 repair cost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts