Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya!

I'm thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone but am unsure if my new Kia sorento (2012) has a connecting cable for this phone.

The car came with an iPhone compatible cable, but I'm not sure if/where I can get the same cable for the Samsung phones.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Jay

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6, '03 GSX-R600, '00 Nissan Maxima SE
150 Posts
Just use a USB cable from your droid to the UVO system...
I did that with my android and it wouldn't work. Mine only works (cable connected) with ipod/iphone. Blu tooth works well, mostly. Does your android work with the usb cable?

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
When my Galaxy SII is connected by USB, and I actually turn USB on, it behaves like any other USB storage device and I can use it to store music. However, I mostly use bluetooth to stream OR just pop in either a 32GB or 64GB USB fob with a current stash of mp3's.

Best,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, right now I just use the cable that was provided with the car (iPod/phone connector on one end --->1/8 audio & USB on the other end) and it works perfect (my iphone that is). Great for Slacker Radio. The song info is there, the song plays great AND it charges my phone. I love that.

So any old USB cable will do the same with an Android?

Thanks!

Jay

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
Yeah, right now I just use the cable that was provided with the car (iPod/phone connector on one end --->1/8 audio & USB on the other end) and it works perfect (my iphone that is). Great for Slacker Radio. The song info is there, the song plays great AND it charges my phone. I love that.

So any old USB cable will do the same with an Android?

Thanks!

Jay

Yup it's just like plugging in a USB thumb drive with songs on it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
that's the AUX port they are just trying to accommodate every mp3 player on the market it's a brilliant idea, not like some auto makers that limit them selves to one brand and design they entertainment systems around that one device.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX GDI
3 Posts
You need to use a 3.5mm male-to-male to be able to play music on it. It depends which trim and features of the sorento you have. I have a 2013 EX with the Infinity stereo, and I tried a bunch of things with my old Samsung Galaxy S (Epic from Sprint). USB cable will work if you have music on your phone's memory storage. For me that didn't cut it because most of my music is through either Google Music or Spotify, so I needed something else. the 3.5mm works, but you can't control the phone from your stereo. I found the best option is to sync music through bluetooth. Quality is about 80% of what it would normally be, but you can control your phone from the stereo and you can take/make calls no problem.

·
Registered
Sorento 2012 ex With sunroof and leather + kawasaki Vulcan custom
86 Posts
Don`t worry about cable use Bluetooth!! work really good on my Samsung S2 and about android!!! ...... I you want a cell phone too look cool buy an Iphone and if you want performance..... Buy an Android!! truss me you will not regret !!! and on my S2 i Buy a elm327 like this one: New V1.5 ELM327 OBDII OBD2 Bluetooth Auto Car Diagnostic Interface Scanner Tool | eBay and the application calling Torque ( cost about 4.99$ on app store) whit this you could chek code clear code make trend...... look at the temperature on the coolant..................... o2 sensor reader ..... much much more!! have fun buddy!! ;)

·
Registered
Sorento 2012 ex With sunroof and leather + kawasaki Vulcan custom
86 Posts
By the way don`t buy any cable for your S3 you just have too use the one provide for charge the phone!! :)

·
Registered
2011 Titanium Sorento SX - 39,000 miles since 03/2011
106 Posts
You need to do it via Bluetooth so you can use the buttons on the steering wheel to change to the next track. It will not work using just the aux cable. You will most likely be connecting your phone via Bluetooth anyway for calls, so the music will pause/resume during the call.

I tried using a second device just for music, but it was a pain carrying so many devices (my Samsung GS III, iPod touch, and work cell). I just use the phone now and it works great with Spotify and Amazon cloud.

This is the dock I got, and it works great. Also fits with or without a case on the phone.

http://www.shopandroid.com/ibolt-vehicle-charging-dock/3AA11914.htm

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
I just have it play via BT, it's much easy & simple

if you do it by the Cable, then any Apps from your phone that was installed to the SD card will become Not Accessible while connected and Mounted as a USB stick

you wont be able to access those Apps until you Un-mount the USB from the phone

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Samsung GS3 doesn't support USB mode, and so it doesn't work with the Kia 2011 Sorento's media head unit. For example, I get Media connection failure! So that leaves Bluetooth which only offers next, previous and play/pause.

;-(

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
The Samsung GS3 doesn't support USB mode, and so it doesn't work with the Kia 2011 Sorento's media head unit. For example, I get Media connection failure! So that leaves Bluetooth which only offers next, previous and play/pause.

;-(
The phone supports it just fine. It's more likely the ROM installed by your carrier that has it disabled. Root your phone and install a more full-featured ROM. Details here:

Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers

Type the model number of your Galaxy S3 variant into the "find your device" search box. Then hit the Android development topic for that phone. You'll find a wealth of instructions on how to get yourself setup with a functional ROM without all the carrier bloatware.

Best,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts