Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Tuscan Olive Sorento EX V6
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all! Well, winter is here and we have had a few dustings of snow in Philadelphia. My 2012 EX is not making me happy nor do I feel reassured when my wife and children are in it due to the VERY POOR Traction Control , or should I say LACKING Traction Control it is said to have. Today, for instance. I took my son to work. His workplace has a long and climbing driveway. At a near standstill from the bottom coming off a treated road, I climbed about 100 feet and started to slide to the left. The TAC pulsated but did not right our route of travel nor did it give me any more TRACTION. I had to stop, roll back down the drive and try again this time with moderate acceleration. The cars front right "traction-torque" tire spins and pulls to the right but the vehicle slides to the left.(CRAZY). The vehicle stays somewhat straight but is not in a true line of travel. Any parked cars could have been compromised from my sliding. My tires have more then 80% tread and have proper inflation. This has happen on wet roads too. Anyone else out there experience this LACK of performance during critical driving conditions? Any insight would help. Thanks!

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Nope.. I have been pleased with mine in the snow here in MN. Have had no complaints so far and even tried a steep hill as you mentioned and it tracked just fine with normal corrections by me as a driver of course.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX,Shelby Cobra GT500,'12 Nissan Sentra,'09 Ford Focus
123 Posts
Factory/OEM "SOLUS" Tires are NOT for WINTER driving or any other so called 4 SEASONS = very poor traction for any winter icy/snow conditions, I have WINTER tires on mine and its a TANK on Ice & Snow! All what traction Control does its to keep you from over SPINNING your Tires to try to keep them from breaking traction, you will only have as much traction as type of tires you have for condition your driving on...

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Factory/OEM "SOLUS" Tires are NOT for WINTER driving or any other so called 4 SEASONS = very poor traction for any winter icy/snow conditions, I have WINTER tires on mine and its a TANK on Ice & Snow! All what traction Control does its to keep you from over SPINNING your Tires to try to keep them from breaking traction, you will only have as much traction as type of tires you have for condition your driving on...
Oh truly.. I completely agree. I have winter tires on mine as well. Forgot to add that. I would not drive it any other way on snow.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
You also should have turned off the ESC and activated the "differential lock" button that probably would have helped greatly. Once your rear starts going sideways the esc will kick in and stall you out and when you lose all your momentum your done.:D

Agree about the factory kumho tires they suck for winter and arent very good in rain either.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Greetings to all! Well, winter is here and we have had a few dustings of snow in Philadelphia. My 2012 EX is not making me happy nor do I feel reassured when my wife and children are in it due to the VERY POOR Traction Control , or should I say LACKING Traction Control it is said to have. Today, for instance. I took my son to work. His workplace has a long and climbing driveway. At a near standstill from the bottom coming off a treated road, I climbed about 100 feet and started to slide to the left. The TAC pulsated but did not right our route of travel nor did it give me any more TRACTION. I had to stop, roll back down the drive and try again this time with moderate acceleration. The cars front right "traction-torque" tire spins and pulls to the right but the vehicle slides to the left.(CRAZY). The vehicle stays somewhat straight but is not in a true line of travel. Any parked cars could have been compromised from my sliding. My tires have more then 80% tread and have proper inflation. This has happen on wet roads too. Anyone else out there experience this LACK of performance during critical driving conditions? Any insight would help. Thanks!
The OEM tires really are not very good. They do an extreme disservice to this vehicle by putting such lousy OEM tires on it. Are you an AWD or FWD version?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I has my OEM tires on for the very first snowfall and I will NEVER ever do that again. If it weren't for stability control, I would of side swiped a few curbs forsure. Traction control let me take off no problem, it was steering and stopping that was the problem.

The factory tires are just garbage in anything but rain or dry conditions.

Get some good snow tires, use the diff lock and you will be good!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
I test drove one the other day(LX V6 with 17s) on some fairly nasty roads, and although I've driven more stable vehicles on snowy roads, it didn't do horrible. I intentionally tried to make the traction control/stability control work and it did its job perfectly, even with the stock Kumhos.

I think it was probably a bit more slippery than you originallythought it was. Plus, you did not say it was AWD or FWD. That makes a big difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
...All what traction Control does its to keep you from over SPINNING your Tires to try to keep them from breaking traction, you will only have as much traction as type of tires you have for condition your driving on...
Completely agreed. Sometimes I think people forget that these systems do not defeat the laws of physics, they simply do the best they can with what they've got. If you are FWD, and you're going up a hill, then you already are pulling some of the weight off the drive wheels. If you're doing it on a surface with no negligible traction, you're not going anywhere, ESC, TCS or any other wizardry. Then you have to do essentially what you (OP) did...Use inertia (aka "running start" on flat ground to make it.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
Note that our Kumho Solus KL21 tires are near the bottom of this rating of tires:
Consumer Survey Results By Category
Some so-called all season tires are worse on snow than others, but ours aren't quite the very worse.

The all season tire specification does not require traction testing. It is based on the tread pattern as defined by the Rubber Manufacturers' Association:
1. New tire treads shall have multiple pockets or slots in at least one tread edge that meet the following dimensional requirements based on mold dimensions:

Extend toward the tread center at least 1/2 inch from the footprint edge, measured perpendicularly to the tread centerline.
A minimum cross-sectional width of 1/16 inch.
Edges of pockets or slots at angles between 35 and 90 degrees from the direction of travel.

2. The new tire tread contact surface void area will be a minimum of 25 percent based on mold dimensions.

The rough translation of this specification is that the tire must have a row of fairly big grooves that start at the edge of the tread and extend toward the center of the tire. Also, at least 25 percent of the surface area must be grooves.

The idea is to give the tread pattern enough void space so that it can bite through the snow and get traction. However, as you can see from the specification, there is no testing involved.

HowStuffWorks "How Tires Work"

Real winter tires have the snowflake-on-mountain symbol on the tire sidewall and are required to pass a traction test on snow..."attain a traction index equal to or greater than 110 compared to the ASTM E-1136 Standard Reference Test Tire when using the ASTM F-1805 snow traction test with equivalent percentage loads."

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra,2008 Impala LT
98 Posts
Dedicated snow tires make a world of difference.Bought an extra set of 17 inch rims with Bridgestone Blizzaks for winter,same diameter as the 18 inch factory skins. Priceless!

·
Registered
37 Posts
One more trick that makes the best out of your current tires is to inflate them to the maximum psi rating on the sidewall. Do this when the tire is cold and has not been driven on for a few hours.

You only want to do this when you're driving in snow. It works because it narrows the tread slightly, which helps cut through the snow instead of "hydroplaning" on top of it. (Yeah I know the term is traditionally used for rain)

Contrary to popular belief, wider tires are a no-no when the surface is not dry. You actually want to increase the pressure to the road so that the tire rolls on the road, instead of on top of whatever hazard is on the road.

If you do this for an extended amount of time, you will wear the center of the tire faster than the sidewalls, which is why you really only want to do this during the snow season.

·
Registered
2012 Tuscan Olive Sorento EX V6
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone who posted regarding my concerns. I have lived in various cities with harsh winters and have had snow tires as well as all season on other SUV's, 4X4 and all wheel drives. I was so bummed when my Sorento started to slide. True the Kumhos are not the best and will be looking into new meat for my EX. Happy Trails to all!!

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6 AWD w/Sunroof, RIDES a 2012 Suzuki GSXR 600
189 Posts
The kumhos are DANGEROUS in the snow. I was hoping I wouldnt need winter tires with my Sorento having AWD, traction control etc but after we had less than 1 inch of snow the front end would plow straight through corners at only 40 kph, the ABS was on non stop when braking even slightly and the back end would come out under braking and when going around a corner even at slow (40 kph or so) speeds.
I went out the next week and bought a set of Nokian winter tires. Now the Sorento is a BLAST to drive in the snow!! It feels like it will go thru anything.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
The kumhos are DANGEROUS in the snow. I was hoping I wouldnt need winter tires with my Sorento having AWD, traction control etc but after we had less than 1 inch of snow the front end would plow straight through corners at only 40 kph, the ABS was on non stop when braking even slightly and the back end would come out under braking and when going around a corner even at slow (40 kph or so) speeds.
I went out the next week and bought a set of Nokian winter tires. Now the Sorento is a BLAST to drive in the snow!! It feels like it will go thru anything.
This!!! I was so scared to even touch my brakes because I would just keep going. And no...I wasn't going fast. I could be doing 5 km/h and I would just keep going. ABS would kick in so quickly meaning there was no traction with the tires.

Absolute garbage tires!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6 Luxury
89 Posts
Just need to get some new tires. I have a winter and summer set, makes things a bit easy. The Sorento is great in the snow but, look into some tires.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Bought an extra set of 17 inch rims
I have a local tire shop looking for a set of 7x17" take-off Hyundai or Kia wheels (with the correct bolt circle) for me for winter tires next year. I'll put 235/65R17 tires on those wheels. The 17 inch tires are cheaper, maybe $30 less each, and they might ride softer on bad roads than the 18" 60-aspect ratio tires, especially in the cold.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra,2008 Impala LT
98 Posts
Looked high and low for some 17 inch steel rims,best deal i could find was $90 each new,nothing to be found used.Ended up getting alloys from Tire Rack with the Blizzaks mounted and balanced.They actually ride better than the factory 18 inchers.Looking to sell the 18s and getting 17s with tires for summer use.See the 2014 SX is going to be riding on 19 inch tires,wonder how that will ride with less sidewall to take up the tire slap on concrete expansion joints!

·
Registered
506 Posts
A vehicle's ride is a complex combination of the tire size choice, the tire choice, the suspension design, body flex and other things, hopefully designed as a package.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts