Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else with a 3 door able to comment on this? The only real gripe i have with the new Rio is it seems very light and twitchy in the rear. We live on a road with a pretty rough surface, and on corrugations or large holes, the back end noticeably steps out to one side a little. A lot of people may not notice, but i certainly do. It's not enough to freak you out but it's more than any other FWD car i've owned. The three door is pretty light and has stuff-all weight over the rear wheels but i'm just wondering if anyone else with a 3 door can comment. Even the 5 door SLi or SX owners can comment if they've noticed it in theirs? The car is fitted with the factory 17's, with Contisport 205/45's on it. It handles brilliantly aside from this slight issue. The issue occurs most notably in a straight line.

cheers.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
The x brace off the Veloster gives you a much more controlled drive over stock. Since Ive had it on I rarely get any of that. I also have better tyres that I comfortable with too.

When I had the stock set up it felt too floaty for my liking so I changed it. It also cleaned the handling up by a lot too.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the brace would make it tigher for sure, but it feels more like a weighting issue in the back end, damping issue

when you say floaty do you mean stepping out at the back/front like i'm talking about or just a lack of steering feel?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Floaty as in not feeling planted in the rear. Front no problems, rear it feels like it not properly sitting to the ground. When going into corners it feels like it will lift or sway out. Like not a natural feel when in turns.

I just call it floaty feeling. My other car is FWD but it has never done that. Other car is sedan though so will probably be different in a hatch.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
<--- jealous. i cannot get my rio to oversteer whatsoever. it is an understeering little piggie. i have noticed on my LX, it is very underdamped, with very little rebound damping. you guys have uprated cars with bigger spring rates, and most likely more valving in the shocks.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wouldn't be jealous if i were you, the stepping out i'm describing is basically like what you said about your LX, under-damping, where the tyre momentarily leaves the road during harsh undulations, then makes contact again a fraction of a second later slightly to one side.. it's not something to envy lol

now oversteer in my V8 on the other hand..

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
underdamping and tire leaving the road surface are two different things. my car undulates under fast rolling bumps and quick transitions. my car needs more rebound, and it will actually improve the ride. it's ok, kia never expected people like myself to be driving the rio...

if i can get the 12+ rio classed properly for racing, i plan on prepping my car. i have been racing a LONG time, and the rio is a simple economy chassis. the rear suspension design is not compliant to bumps, so it will never be perfect over road imperfections.

best thing for it is to spring it up high out back, pitch it into a corner and stand on it...

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
that's the funny thing, it seems to hold the road fine around fast corners even when it hits similar imperfections in the road. I gave it a bit of a workout around some windy roads on the weekend. It tends to have most of its problems with stepping out in a straight line.

thanks for the replies so far, good to know it's not just mine doing it.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
Could be the OEM tires also...
My son has an 08 Hyundai Accent 3dr and had Falken tires on it... It was just plain lousy in the back end...The tires still had plenty of tread when we changed them to Michelins. The design of the tire was at fault.
No more rear end slipping left and right on a straight road. It was actually scary driving it before and a pleasure driving it now...
Dave

·
Registered
463 Posts
sounds like we're both describing the same thing really in different ways. How much was your torsion brace for the underside? and fitting cost? or did you fit it?

It was $200 including delivery. I fit it myself. Swapping the tyres to better ones made a big difference too. The tyres most cars come with are to suit the masses and not just certain driving styles.

In FWD cars, tyres are the most important upgrade you can ever do for the car.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could be the OEM tires also...
My son has an 08 Hyundai Accent 3dr and had Falken tires on it... It was just plain lousy in the back end...The tires still had plenty of tread when we changed them to Michelins. The design of the tire was at fault.
No more rear end slipping left and right on a straight road. It was actually scary driving it before and a pleasure driving it now...
Dave
that's interesting actually, since the Contisports on it are meant to be a great tyre, and they're fantastic in the wet we've had lately, however they're painfully thin for the wheel size. 205's on a 17 made me cringe from the moment i first heard it..

It was $200 including delivery. I fit it myself. Swapping the tyres to better ones made a big difference too. The tyres most cars come with are to suit the masses and not just certain driving styles.

In FWD cars, tyres are the most important upgrade you can ever do for the car.
that's not too bad a price for the brace, might look into that.

Does anyone know the widest tyre you can fit on the stock 17's on the Rio comfortably without making sidewall flex and general tyre-roll a problem? does a 215/40 fit alright?

and how wide are the wheels? 6.5" or something?

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
Ugh. Tyres. Don't even get me started on tyres.
I need to replace the two front tyres on my Octavia, after 20,000km.

Well, alright. One has a bubble and I'm running the spare, but the other one has around 2,000km of life left. And at $350 a pop, thats not very appealing.

Dunlop SportMaxx GT+ in 225/40ZR18 >.<

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Anyone else with a 3 door able to comment on this? The only real gripe I have with the new Rio is it seems very light and twitchy in the rear.

The car is fitted with the factory 17s, with Contisport 205/45 on it. It handles brilliantly aside from this slight issue. The issue occurs most notably in a straight line.
That's a big tyre for a little car. Just as an experiment, you could try letting a few PSI out of the rear tyres; that will tell you whether it's tyres or suspension.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
17 is big for a little car, well arguably these days, but my concern is the tread width ratio to the diameter of the wheel

i'll check the pressures tonight and see what the go is, you may be right, the rear tyres may be over-inflated

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I'll check the pressures tonight and see what the go is, you may be right, the rear tyres may be over-inflated
I meant that you should try them somewhat under-inflated on your test road, maybe 24 PSI instead of 32. The tyres might then absorb some of the roughness. You wouldn't want to keep them that low, however.

BTW, 205/45-17 doesn't seem skinny to me. Nissan Maxima has 215/55-17 and this seems about right for a lawn-bowler's car. Seriously, Commodores used to have 205 tyres as standard.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i guess we can agree to disagree, personally if i have larger wheels on my car (which i've done many times in the past) i prefer to have more tread width to balance them out. You can never have too much grip, and i like to find out what the limit is before it starts fouling ball joints etc and put the appropriate tyre on. I also like to put the money into a decent tyre, not just something that 'looks good'. My concern is on the stock rim, there may be very little room to move due to the width of the wheel.

I remember when Falcons had 195/14 tyres standard but it's not 1981 any more and i'd like to find the one best suited to the car. Tyres are a very dynamic object, as you'd know there are thousands of different combinations of load rating, stock tread depth, tread composites, direcitonal, sports/soft/comfort etc and the key is finding the right one for the car which TJ85 claims he has done.

My Fairmont has 235/45/17's, and while it's a boat in comparison there is no reason other than mechanical limitations that i shouldn't want to put something similar (but smaller) on the Rio. And if you stand right behind the thing and look at the tyres, they certainly look thin to me. Not helped by the tread pattern and formation of the Contisports.

But back to your point about tyre pressure, i got what you said, but was elaborating that the delivery crew may have over inflated the tyres above factory spec, as the delivery wasn't done brilliantly to be honest on this car.

I'll check and find out tonight.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I guess we can agree to disagree, personally if I have larger wheels on my car (which i've done many times in the past) I prefer to have more tread width to balance them out.

But back to your point about tyre pressure, I got what you said, but was elaborating that the delivery crew may have over inflated the tyres above factory spec, as the delivery wasn't done brilliantly to be honest on this car.

I'll check and find out tonight.
I've seen on this Forum that some people have found their tyres set to 45 PSI from the dealer. Presumably this is a legacy from the factory, so that tyres stay inflated during storage/delivery.

Yes, I've also done the wide-tyre thing in the past, but now prefer economy to speed. Good tyres for the 195/65-15 Cerato are $150, whereas 215/45-17 are $275. That did it for me. I've done a fair bit of motoring on 195/65-15 (Mazda6) and they feel pretty good; favourite tyre is Michelin XM1+ (Now XM2).

·
Registered
463 Posts
I wouldnt say Ive found the perfect mix, Ive only got a set up that I am comfortable with. What is comfortable for me might not be what others find comfortable.

I went with a different set up to normal. I have 18's on it but have two different brands and different depths. I have Takuma Avanza's in 225 at the rear and up front I got Sumitomo's in 215. All are on 7.5" wheels.

I think the stock 17's are 7" wide.

Tyres in a FWD car are everything. They are one of the most expensive parts on the car and the most expensive wear and tear item but they make the biggest difference to the car.

Whenever working with FWD cars always invest wisely in tyres. Every other area you can afford to make careless decisions (go faster bits or making your car double as a rolling christmas tree) but the tyres are something you need to focus on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts