Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im in the Ohio in the United States and i bought a 2013 kia rio LX with power package. I was wondering if i would be able to have a factory cruise control system installed and how much it would be and what parts i would need. I have a totaled EX i can get the parts from.

My sister has a 2008 Mazda 3 and all she had to do was buy the buttons and a brake control switch and it worked like it had just come from the factory.

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Caleb, I can only talk from experience with other cars.

Some car manuafcturers are very good about having a basic car to which is easy to add parts to. My Subaru and Scion are very good at that.

I have added CC to several cars and it depends on the manufacturer as to the ease to do this. I cant say about KIA, but.... I do know there is often a difference in the CC computer (may be a separate computer, may be built into engine management) between manual and automatic transmission cars.

IF the Kia has a CC computer, you'll need to stay with the same transmission type from the donor car.

But overall, I think its do-able. Search for parts needed and parts numbers and go hunting for those parts. Should plug right in.

Good luck. And BTW, ROSTRA says this may work in your car.

http://www.rostra.com/manuals/250-1859_Form5231G.pdf

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
If you can find a steering wheel off a wrecked Rio with Cruise, it will work, plug and play. At least, it should. The wiring is there, the switch just isn't.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi, i'm a new Rio owner. I would like to know if the cruise control can be activated by just adding the cruise control buttons or Kia has deactivate it in the ECU. Hope to hear from you!!

p/s: wondering if the original reverse camera wiring is in place too and i could just slap in the reverse camera to have it working...

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
The wiring and connectors are NOT there for the camera. I stand by my statement that the cruise will work with ONLY the addition of the buttons...however I wish someone would confirm it to be true.
@czerwo, what "package" are you waiting for?

·
Registered
Rio 2012 1.2
16 Posts
He only responds to phone.
Payment on delivery.
Are you from Netherlands? If yes that is no problem because Netherlands is in UE and you mustn't pay duty for pack from Poland.

·
Registered
Rio 2012 1.2
16 Posts
ok, I have new steering wheel with cruise control buttons.
All works fine :) but ...
The connector in the old steering wheel:
|12345|
|-----67|
1 - 12V horn
2 - Trip
3 - Trip 5V
4 - backlight
5 - backlight
6 - audio
7 - audio 3,4V

In the new:
|12345|
|-----67|
1 - 12V horn
2 - audio
3 - audio
4 - backlight
5 - backlight
6 - Trip
7 - Trip 5V

I changed the cables and all works fine.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The cruise works?

·
Registered
Rio 2012 1.2
16 Posts
Yes, the cruise works, but the "speed limit" button doesn't work.

I do not remember that cruise control is 880 or 1.44k (cruise/speed limit).
When you have steering wheel without cruise control you can.
Remove the air bag - instruction - http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-shipping-Steering-wheel-audio-control-button-fit-for-KIA-2012-new-RIO-K2/502925_564698053.html
Take a meter and check where is the trip
Buy resistor 1,44k and 880
Start the engine
Short-circuit the resistor
In my car:
The connector:
|12345|
|-----67|
1 - 12V horn
2 - Trip ----------resistor-| connect on 1 second
3 - Trip 5V ----------------|
4 - backlight
5 - backlight
6 - audio
7 - audio 3,4V

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, the cruise works, but the "speed limit" button doesn't work.

I do not remember that cruise control is 880 or 1.44k (cruise/speed limit).
When you have steering wheel without cruise control you can.
Remove the air bag - instruction - Aliexpress.com : Buy Free shipping Steering wheel audio control button fit for KIA 2012 new RIO / K2 from Reliable steering wheel suppliers on Linda Lin's auto accessory
Take a meter and check where is the trip
Buy resistor 1,44k and 880
Start the engine
Short-circuit the resistor
In my car:
The connector:
|12345|
|-----67|
1 - 12V horn
2 - Trip ----------resistor-| connect on 1 second
3 - Trip 5V ----------------|
4 - backlight
5 - backlight
6 - audio
7 - audio 3,4V
Hi,
May i know what does the above step for? For checking the trip meter cables or to check if cruise control is available for the car?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts