Kia Forum banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
504 Posts
From the manual:
"Use only hydraulic brake fluid conforming to DOT 3 or DOT 4 specification."

That's the only requirement.. doesn't need to say 'Kia' on the bottle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I requested a copy of the report from my denied claim. Here are some pictures, the Carbon Build up on the side of the pistons, but the crank shaft is clean. The Carbon is to blame for the oil consumption according to the report. No amount of fuel cleaner is going to make a difference here. From everything I've read the fault is the way the GDI engine injects the fuel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ahh it was someone else here who said a quart every 800 miles. Sorry haha.

So over a regular service interval, you're consuming about 1 quart.. it's something to pay attention to, but not an emergency by any means.

Have you ever done a de-carb treatment through the intake? If you've never done that, absolutely do that before you change the oil next. I'd probably do 2 treatments if none have been done in over 100k miles. That, more than anything else, will reduce carbon buildup to the point where the valves should seal better (and hopefully then you won't consume as much oil). CRC GDI Intake cleaner. It's a lifesaver on these engines imo. Every 10k miles, I start to notice the engine start to shake a bit at idle, along with some hesitation. This clears it right up. You just have to change the oil right after the treatment. I would say do this and skip the oil/fuel additives. They help slow the buildup of carbon and varnish, but they don't stop it totally. This is direct injection, so unless you spray through the intake (or take your engine apart), the valves never get cleaned.
Please see my post, I don't think his issue is the valves, my engine has 122,000 miles on it and the Carbon build up on the side of the piston is the cause for my oil consumption (my driving is all highway, not city).

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
791 Posts
Based on those pics, I definitely think that there had to be something else seriously wrong with your engine.

You should not have had that much carbon buildup at such low mileage, not to mention stuck piston rings in my opinion.

Not that I think that motor oil selection would have made much of a difference in this case, but do you happen to know what motor oil was used? Full Synthetic? Conventional? A Blend? And did you always have it changed at the Dealership? (Certain types/brands of motor oils are much better at fighting carbon buildup than others.)

Also, did you always use "Top Tier" gas in that engine? Did you regularly use "Fuel System Cleaners" in it?

Just wondering...

Richard

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
504 Posts
Please see my post, I don't think his issue is the valves, my engine has 122,000 miles on it and the Carbon build up on the side of the piston is the cause for my oil consumption (my driving is all highway, not city).
View attachment 112962
Yes, the intake treatment also helps clean pistons as well. No amount of fuel cleaner would get those clean.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012
69 Posts
Yes, the intake treatment also helps clean pistons as well. No amount of fuel cleaner would get those clean.
I did put chevron on almost empty gas tank last night , the tank is 14 gallon the treatment said will treat up to 18 gallons , so I ad almost all that bottle , I’m going to wait till it runs empty , then I’m putting brand new spark plugs , new Kia filter , with oil , pcv valve , and see what s going to happen , to mention in almost 3500 miles I had to add over half quart so , I’ll see after all this what’s going to happen , besides everything I called Kia consumer affairs, talked to them they told me my car has warranty after 146 recall , I told her that I I do service my self like oil etc , she told me that okay , I explained that I don’t have all receipt, but I told that all service I done i put on my car fax account, she told me perfect that’s what we want so we will see

·
Registered
13 Posts
Based on those pics, I definitely think that there had to be something else seriously wrong with your engine.

You should not have had that much carbon buildup at such low mileage, not to mention stuck piston rings in my opinion.

Not that I think that motor oil selection would have made much of a difference in this case, but do you happen to know what motor oil was used? Full Synthetic? Conventional? A Blend? And did you always have it changed at the Dealership? (Certain types/brands of motor oils are much better at fighting carbon buildup than others.)

Also, did you always use "Top Tier" gas in that engine? Did you regularly use "Fuel System Cleaners" in it?

Just wondering...

Richard
The fuel I use is what the recommend fuel type is, in this case regular. I get the gas I use in this vehicle from the same station I've been getting fuel for the last 6 years, on 3 different cars, and this is the only one that developed this issue. As to fuel cleaner additives, since most of my driving is highway (about 105 miles a day), carbon build up should not be an issue since everything should be getting hot enough and be moving enough to cause it to break away. I put a cleaner in about once a quarter or if I have really long trip planned when I know I will be getting multiple fill ups in a day.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,244 Posts
.... Since I have an extended warranty through Carmax, I brought it their today 9/27/19 and we started the oil consumption test. If the test shows an issue they will replace the engine,....
In reading through the various posts of your account, the word that keeps on coming back to me is scam. And since I've almost never read anything good about one of these third party extended warranty outfits, that would not be surprising to me at all.

However, in this case there is something that would prove that Carmax has been completely honest, and also knows what they're doing. If everything they're saying is on the level, then with new rings installed, your engine should no longer be using oil. That will be the acid test of what they've said and done, and although I am very skeptical, I hope for your sake it turns out well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not happy with the Warranty Company's decision, even though it is sold under the Carmax name, it is not Carmax. With that being said, I have nothing but thanks and praise for the service department at Carmax, they have been working with me all the way and have gone above and beyond. Let me explain, as part of the Warranty a rental car is covered for 7 days, since the claim was denied, the rental would be denied, Carmax picked up the tab for the Enterprise rental for 7 days, Carmax then provided me with a loaner car since the rental ran out, This has been on going on for almost a month. I should get my car back this week, so 3 weeks with a loaner from Carmax. They also reduced the labor rate down to 35.00 an hour and are selling me the parts at cost. I am going to be looking at 1,500 bill but it could be much worse.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012
69 Posts
I'm not happy with the Warranty Company's decision, even though it is sold under the Carmax name, it is not Carmax. With that being said, I have nothing but thanks and praise for the service department at Carmax, they have been working with me all the way and have gone above and beyond. Let me explain, as part of the Warranty a rental car is covered for 7 days, since the claim was denied, the rental would be denied, Carmax picked up the tab for the Enterprise rental for 7 days, Carmax then provided me with a loaner car since the rental ran out, This has been on going on for almost a month. I should get my car back this week, so 3 weeks with a loaner from Carmax. They also reduced the labor rate down to 35.00 an hour and are selling me the parts at cost. I am going to be looking at 1,500 bill but it could be much worse.
Ur lucky with 1500$ that’s not that bad for all that work

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012
69 Posts
One question, what u guys think it’s a good idea to do a complete flush of power steering fluid , and complete engine coolant is that worth doing it , dealer asked me 65$ coolant and 125$ power steering,

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
You should start another thread for this question. ^^^^

·
Registered
Silver 2012 Kia Sorento FWD Base with 2.4L
101 Posts
One question, what u guys think it’s a good idea to do a complete flush of power steering fluid , and complete engine coolant is that worth doing it , dealer asked me 65$ coolant and 125$ power steering,
Should be plenty of vids on YT. I did those flushes after 50K on mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, they are doing right by me in keeping the costs down, but if this is a design flaw of the GDI engine, I may be spending all that money as band aid.
Well a little update, it has been a little over a month since I posted about my issues. My car was repaired as I stated by the service center, I put on about 2600 miles and the engine consumed 2 quarts of oil. While the service center wear going threw their chain of command to overrule the maintenance company warranty decision, my car basically died on a trip, flashing check engine, limp home mode and rumbling in the engine. The diagnostic scanner reported no oil pressure. They towed the car to a local KIA and due to the rumbling, Kia is replacing the engine under a service advisory.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012
69 Posts
That’s really good at least they’re Doing free of charge , so about my/wife’s Kia , she put already over 1000 miles on it, after I did change the oil there’s no burn or oil consumption at all , before I change the oil I did put fuel cleaner then after that fill it up again change oil with 5x-20 gdi engine oil from valvoline full synthetic, Kia oil filter ,new pcv valve , new spark plugs ,then after all that new transmission fluid , new power steering flush and fill fluid , new rear and front differential fluid , new brake fluid , new engine coolant antifreeze drain and fill , so I’m crossing my finger and doesn’t do trouble so far so good , it has 112560 miles so far , I’m happy within 5000 miles burning half quart of oil so , I’ll see now

·
Registered
13 Posts
That’s really good at least they’re Doing free of charge , so about my/wife’s Kia , she put already over 1000 miles on it, after I did change the oil there’s no burn or oil consumption at all , before I change the oil I did put fuel cleaner then after that fill it up again change oil with 5x-20 gdi engine oil from valvoline full synthetic, Kia oil filter ,new pcv valve , new spark plugs ,then after all that new transmission fluid , new power steering flush and fill fluid , new rear and front differential fluid , new brake fluid , new engine coolant antifreeze drain and fill , so I’m crossing my finger and doesn’t do trouble so far so good , it has 112560 miles so far , I’m happy within 5000 miles burning half quart of oil so , I’ll see now
The 2012 Kia I have has a sealed Transmission, how did you have the transmission fluid flushed? 5-20 is the oil recommended, what did you change to eliminate the consumption? What did you use for Fuel Cleaner? 1/2 a quart in 5000 miles is ok, even though my 2010 Toyota doesn't appear to have any burn in 10,000 miles (do full syn and Toyota says 10,000 mile oil change under full syn).

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012
69 Posts
The 2012 Kia I have has a sealed Transmission, how did you have the transmission fluid flushed? 5-20 is the oil recommended, what did you change to eliminate the consumption? What did you use for Fuel Cleaner? 1/2 a quart in 5000 miles is ok, even though my 2010 Toyota doesn't appear to have any burn in 10,000 miles (do full syn and Toyota says 10,000 mile oil change under full syn).
I used Techron fuel cleaner from amazon that what Kia recommends I think , for Transmission I didn’t do myself dealer did just to be on safe side , so it’s still early to say it’s not consuming any oil but I’ll give it another 1000 miles and see, I’ll be happy around 3500 miles to burn 1 third of the quart , oil I used 5x-20 valvoline full synthetic,since I live in north Minnesota, and that’s what they suggested me on this forum, seems to work good , so I’ll see and keep updating

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
The 2012 Kia I have has a sealed Transmission, how did you have the transmission fluid flushed?

A sealed transmission doesn't mean that you can't (or shouldn't) flush or drain it.

I regularly change the transmission fluid in my Sorento myself (I do a simple "drain & fill").

Richard

121 - 140 of 140 Posts