Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Kia Sorento, 08 Toyota Tundra, 1956 VW Manx buggy, 1958 VW rail
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been complaints about timing chain noises on start up. Have any of you had to have repairs done on the timing chain? On most cars that have timing chains instead of timing belts, the chains last 150 to 200 thousand miles. i think my sorento book says change it at 90 thousand. will the dealer do that under the 100K warrenty? It has been discussed that the oil filter being mounted upside down, drains all of the oil out as it sits and the engine has to run several seconds to fill the oil filter before oil pressure goes to the timing chain tensioner. i have thought of putting on a system that fills the oil filter before the engine starts,but if Kia is willing to fix the problem when the chain wears out before 100K, i guess we will have to live with this bad design. let me know , sam

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
No idea if it is covered or not. I would say yes, but then the Kia warranty manual kind of contradicts itself here: http://www.kia.ca/content/Owners/warranty/2013_Kia_Warranty_Manual_en.pdf

Under coverage, it says that the belt and cover are covered, but scroll down and it says it is not covered under normal maintenance. Who knows where the line of normal maintenance is then crossed.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I don't think the timing chain requires replacement at 90K. That's just silly. No vehicle with a chain driven setup requires replacement unless they stretch or snap...which rarley ever happens.

I think you may be confused with a Timing Belt. Those require replacement. Chains do not.

I have just learned to live with my clatter sounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts