Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
On Thursday my wife has driving from Phoenix to our house. About a 3 hour drive.
The fuel was almost on E so she stopped at her normal Tucson gas station.
She filled up, then while driving from the pumps to the front of the store, it stalled out.
She turned the key again and it started up. She left the car running and ran inside for a drink.
She drove about 45 minutes on the highway without issue.
Stopped at walmart for 15 minutes, When she tried to start the car again, it would not start. Tried every few minutes and after 15-20 minutes it started.
Drove another 30 minutes to our home. Several hours later she drove next door to her parents house. It stalled twice on the way there, and it has not started since.
We also added a bottle of HEAT to it, but it still wont start.

My video was not allowed to post, but it is not a battery issue. It is cranking clean, just not igniting anything.
Search youtube for W1OthpTE4ys and my video is the only one..

2 youtube videos said to get a Vapor Canister Purge Valve / Solenoid but I wanted to check with you guys first.
Thanks for reading!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,960 Posts
My first suggestion is to get the OBDII codes read... That should give you an idea where to look for the problem...The ECM (engine control module) stores error codes and with today's cars there are so many variables that can cause the "same" problem... Advance, AutoZone, Oreilly's all will read the codes for free... If you can't get the car there then ask a friend or neighbor if they have a "code reader" ... I doubt that it is a "bad gas" issue and because it was starting after a while I would be looking for a cam or crank sensor problem but that's just a guess from miles away.... You might want to also look at the wiring harnesses under the hood... The insulation on the wires is a plastic/soy formula and rodents LOVE to chew on these wires... Our governments have mandated "green" recyclable cars so that they will be bio-degradable... Lots of things rodents love to chew on and lots of problems with wire insulation hardening and breaking down TOO SOON...Changing manufacturers won't change this as they all have to meet government regulations...
If you get the codes read and haven't a clue on what/where the problem(s) are then post the error codes here for us to offer ideas on where to look... The codes should look like P0103, P0173...etc...
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first suggestion is to get the OBDII codes read...
Dave
Sorry for leaving it out of the origianal post, but the Check Engine light is not on, so I assume there are no codes to read. That said, my buddy has a reader and I could borrow it to check, just in the paste I always had the check engine light at that time.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,115 Posts
Sorry for leaving it out of the origianal post, but the Check Engine light is not on, so I assume there are no codes to read. That said, my buddy has a reader and I could borrow it to check, just in the paste I always had the check engine light at that time.
A momentary code will be stored, so a good idea to get it scanned for stored codes.

Reactions: marvinmar

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Kia Soul 2010 1.6L and we had a similar issue of non-start after refueling and random stalling. We replaced the cannister purge valve ourselves and it works lovely now. Starts immediately every time

1 - 6 of 6 Posts