Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does any one know the actual bulb type for the SX model?

apparently it's not the regular 881 from the EX/LX

some said it was an H8, but it also looks like an H11

is there any place we can find the actual light bulb type for the SX?

because the manual doesn't have that information listed, which you'll think it's a basic essential thing to know, what light bulbs are used.

i guess they are expecting all customer to go back to the dealer for service, completely ignoring the customer base that likes to do maintain the vehicle themselves

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Autozone seems to think it's the 881. You could always pop one out and take a look. :)
LOL :D because like everybody else they also use the Silvania website info, which is only for the EX and LX models

'guess I'll have to get my hands dirty this weekend to pull one out and find out what it's

just changed the normal light to HID H11, and the Daytime running light to white LED, of my 20+ years driving on the road... i've not once needed to use the high beams

so swapping out the H1 light bulbs for some H1 LED is more for the looks than actual necessity, as the regular H11 will do more than nicely in a foggy condition

I've been considering putting Yellow HID in the fog light instead of the white ones that everyone seems to put into their fog light now in days, then it will actually become functional in heavy foggy days, rather than being there just for show.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, for anyone that is trying to find out

i just came back from the dealer and seems like even the SX is using 881 and not the H8 that some people said it was supposed to have

we checked in the computer took out an actual light bulb replacement for the SX fog and it was an 881

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
So, for anyone that is trying to find out

i just came back from the dealer and seems like even the SX is using 881 and not the H8 that some people said it was supposed to have

we checked in the computer took out an actual light bulb replacement for the SX fog and it was an 881
oh really 880 series hey? ours in canada is H8... i thought they would be same... well 880 series are 27w i think, h8 is 35w.. good thing it was checked...

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
see this is the confusing part

the dealer says it's 881 (after looking up the part number, and pulling out an actual brand new replacement bulb, and it was listed as 881), yet some people claims it's H8, but there are no definite official spec information written anywhere else

still not sure which to believe

and I'm in Canada as well

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
Differnet countries likely use different spec bulbs, take yours out and see what you have. The US versions have the 881.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, saw this post and wanted those to know that a H8 bulb will work in the 2011 Sorrento. My wife has a '11 SX and came from the factory with H8 bulbs. And when shopping for the H8s, I could not find them in any parts stores. I went to the dealer and he said Those bulbs were obsolete and replaced with the 881. However, when I tried to fit the 881 in the foglight, the tabs were not big enough to hold the bulb in place. Ordered some H8s off amazon now. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
H8, 35 watt, 800 lumen

881, 27 watt, 565 lumen

Lumens are a measure of the light output. Watts are the measure of electrical consumption and closely relate to the heat generated.

I spoke with a bulb expert at candlepower.com. He said that there is no upgrade for the 881. It is only good for showing us the ditch on the side of the road in fog, rain, snow, haze, etc. As always, avoid any blue fog light--it creates glare and makes vision worse.

A very good upgrade for the halogen low beams is to use an H9 bulb (65 w, 2100 lumen, long life) in place of the H11 (55 w, 1350 lumen).
DIY: Converting an H9 bulb to fit H11 fog light socket. - RX8Club.com

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok folks, my 2013 Sorento SX AWD (USA version) is an H8. I found this out after ordering a fairly expensive set of Nokya amber 881 bulbs, based on information from this site.... WRONG.... It's an H8. I'm probably out the money for the 881's. Anybody need them? I'm ordering H8's now. Thanks for nothing everyone :)

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
Ok folks, my 2013 Sorento SX AWD (USA version) is an H8. I found this out after ordering a fairly expensive set of Nokya amber 881 bulbs, based on information from this site.... WRONG.... It's an H8. I'm probably out the money for the 881's. Anybody need them? I'm ordering H8's now. Thanks for nothing everyone :)
lol, thats why you need to read the whole thread of the discussion, i posted it that mine is an H8, though canadian they are assembled in the usa..
and it takes 2 sec to reach and check the foglight bulbs on the sorento, confirming on hand is the best confirmation..

·
Registered
A4 GT F150 RST1000 RSVR Factory
27 Posts
Noticed one of mine was out this morning. Looking at it through the lens I thought it was an H11, looked it up shows as an 881. I have both already. Good thing I saw this thread since seems like all the listings are WRONG.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento SX
14 Posts
I had to replace one of mine (2013 USA Sorento SX) the other day, and it was an H8. Also, it's easy to access from above, just like a headlight. Some of the instructions I found online described needing to remove the bumper cover in order to replace the bulb. Definitely not so!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts