Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Rondo 7seater, 4cyl,
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Community. Clearly new here.. I just purchased a 2011, although I wanted the 2009 model I had test driven, my husband preferred and convinced me the 2011 was a better go.. (less K's). Also less features :rolleyes:
Anyway, my question to anyone.. Can and if so how do I remove the third row of seats? They are NEVER going to be used and I would have rather had those great storage compartments.. So can I just take them out, I have searched google with no luck. So I joined here in hopes that someone could help me out
Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
welcome to the forum.

I used to have a '08 5-seater model, so I know what you mean about the under floor rear storage area, provides lots of extra room. Therefore, I've never had to remove rear seats but it shouldn't be difficult to look where the seats are fastened and unbolt it all, also you have to remove the rear seat belts. The 5-seater storage all fits in the same area but side paneling would be slightly different. Maybe you could find the 5-seater materials from a wreckers or after removing the 3rd row you can make you own compartments and cover out of various materials.

Used the search engine and came up with this

http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carens-rondo-forum/39556-removing-third-row-7-seater.html

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome to the forum.

I used to have a '08 5-seater model, so I know what you mean about the under floor rear storage area, provides lots of extra room. Therefore, I've never had to remove rear seats but it shouldn't be difficult to look where the seats are fastened and unbolt it all, also you have to remove the rear seat belts. The 5-seater storage all fits in the same area but side paneling would be slightly different. Maybe you could find the 5-seater materials from a wreckers or after removing the 3rd row you can make you own compartments and cover out of various materials.

Used the search engine and came up with this

http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carens-rondo-forum/39556-removing-third-row-7-seater.html
I have storage bin envy!!
This is awesome information, thank you very much.. every time I tried searches it just came up with 7 seat reviews lol Mine looks a little different then the pic on the link you sent, but I am hoping its the same as far as how they are installed. Have to find out now if they are the same dimensions as 5 seater and purchase the insert from a wrecker perhaps.. or make my own.. as I do need a flat surface bottom for the main cargo.
Again thanks!! http://www.kia-forums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

·
Registered
2007 Rondo EX 4cyl. 5 pass.
510 Posts
FWIW, if you can find a way to do the conversion, you will have a more usable car. I bought a 5 pass. for the same reasons as you, only to find out after, that the 5 pass. has reduced load capacity. Mine has a welded cross brace behind the rear seats to support the cargo boxes and the 5 pass. uses different seats and side panels so it might be quite a job to try and change it all over. I think you might be better off to just remove the seats and build a nice flip up tray to fill the void. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FWIW, if you can find a way to do the conversion, you will have a more usable car. I bought a 5 pass. for the same reasons as you, only to find out after, that the 5 pass. has reduced load capacity. Mine has a welded cross brace behind the rear seats to support the cargo boxes and the 5 pass. uses different seats and side panels so it might be quite a job to try and change it all over. I think you might be better off to just remove the seats and build a nice flip up tray to fill the void. Good luck.
Yes I was thinking that's probably what I will have to do... I guess my next question for the fourm is going to be.. Has anyone done this, and if so.. any tips or pics would be appreciated.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I don't recall anyone doing exactly what you want to do, just the thread referenced above. One other guy said he converted his to a cargo van of sorts and built a floor, but he didn't have any pics. I may have missed someone though. You might have to be the pioneer. Good luck.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I was almost tempted to say that I would trade you your 3rd row seats for my cargo bin/storage bins lol ... but I guess from reading above, there is a lot more to it than just swapping the seats with the storage bin. I think your 2nd row probably slides up to allow passengers to get into the rear most seats? As well, that welded bar thing in behind the 2nd row to hold or brace the storage bins might be a big issue as well. Then there is the issue with the plastic side panels being different for the third row seats, with cup holders etc so, it might be more trouble than it's worth? I wouldn't mind the 3rd row seats, and I actually didn't even know they offered that until after I already bought my 2012 with only the second row seats and storage bin. The bin IS handy, but a 3rd row of seats would be handy from time to time with picking people up etc past 5 passengers, and when we eventually have kids, have to bring them and their friends places etc. Plus I like how the 3rd row folds down, for hauling all my music gear around town to shows etc, it's the best of both worlds for me. But I guess there is a lot more to it than it seems, swapping out I mean.

I would guess it would be easy to remove the seats though, most likely they just have bolts holding it to the floor, and of course there would be the unbolting the seat belt anchor points etc? I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to locate a wrecker with a Rondo there, and strip it of the rear cargo tray and try to fit it into your car? As long as the wreck wasn't in a rear end collision ... rollover might be perfect for what you're looking for, the interior/floor should still be intact.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I am resigned to not replacing my seats for nice molded storage bins, (had I thought it would work, I would jump at your offer lol) but I will in the warmer weather still take the seats out and do up some homemade thing, with possibly a covered piece of plywood as the lid.. Children are grown, so that is not an issue for me.. but fitting my camp gear is. The only reason I need a 'lid' apposed to just utilizing a deeper back hatch, is 80% of the time I am transporting a basketball wheelchair. They have a much wider base that a standard chair, and it wouldn't fit in the resulting cutout floor space.. so I do need a lid to put the chair on, when the car is not packed with camp gear, also the chair takes of most of the back, so it would be nice to have a spot to store the usual.. jumper cables, spare fluids.. that type of thing. Ironically the reason we ended up buying the kia, is it was one of the few cars that could hold the chair, wheels attached.. that or the Mazda. I was looking for something smaller originally.. as my car before this was a GT Cruiser.. which it seems was a designed by a genius of space.. as it held the chair.. and my 6'2' husband very comfortably.. a feat that many larger vehicles can't seem to match lol. ok I have babbled enough. Really am hoping to find some mods that can spark some creativity for my project..

·
Registered
510 Posts
It's interesting you mention the wheelchair. That is the main reason that we chose a Rondo as well. It was one of very few cars that could fit my son's wheelchair and some luggage.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Ahh I see, well good luck with your 'project' for the cover, I'm sure it won't be too difficult if you're handy with a saw, measuring and such. I too use my storage compartment under the cover for similar things, jumper cables, a few tools, flashlight, rope, bungie cords, a blanket and tarp, candles, things you might need in an emergency etc. It's very handy and I put all that stuff in there, and there is still room for other stuff, almost two full compartment spaces left empty still. I still can't believe how much interior space you have in these Rondo's for hauling stuff around, storage space, and there is still TONS of space for seating, very comfy and roomy. No complaints here for sure! lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yay!! Look what I found.. ya its a sorento, but atleast it gives me some ideas. I plan to modify a little, need to include an area I can lock.. since I just discovered there is nothing in this car that is lockable.. not even the glove box. I often leave things in the car that I would prefer to be less accessable.. Yes even with doors locked.. anyway, just posted this for the others that expressed an intereset in this mod.
http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-sorento-forum/76369-third-row-seats-removed-platform-built.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did it, they are gone. Took me less then 30 minutes. Haven't yet built a new floor, too cold to work out side too long. Took pics if anyone wants to see whats involved.. but really it was super easy.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
Yes, please post some pictures, I'm interested in seeing what it's like.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Looks to me like the chair fits better without a platform. It's held nicely in place by the seats and rear storage bin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes but i want/need the storage underneath.. If I just randomly put things in the back the chair becomes much harder to fit nicely. When the seats were in, the chair sat in it sideways.. and it was fine. So yes a platform.. that I can lock as well. Need somewhere in the car to lock things up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts