Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know off-hand? Metric I assume?

I tried the largest socket I had and it was too small. 15mm is largest I personally have.

Finally, how do you get the oil filter off? By hand? My oil filter wrench doesn't fit in the small plastic access hatch/hole.

Thx!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
The oil drain plug is a 17mm. For the filter, it is usually too tight to remove by hand. There are oil filter sockets available that go onto a 3/8 ratchet or extension. There exact fit sockets and universal claw type sockets. If you are going to continue doing it yourself get a 17mm wrench or 17mm 3/8 drive socket, a 3/8 drive ratchet, a 10" 3/8 drive extension, and a universal filter socket. Here is a link to the type I use, but there are others available.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

Oh, and I tried getting the filter off by hand. No go. As you mentioned, too tight. Will grab that filter wrench. Thx again...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ps... I already have a socket wrench and small extension. My crappy socket set only goes up to 15mm on the metric side of things sadly. I'll just grab a 17mm socket and your universal filter wrench you linked. Again, super helpful and thx for your time.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
i usually hand-tighten my filters. it isn't supposed to be torqued down super tight. only time i've ever had to use a tool to take it off is when someone used a tool to put one on. i feel that using a ratchet to install a oil filter is akin to using a air hammer driver to put on a oil drain plug.

But i guess some people have to keep their nuts tight.

PS: Don't forget to use a new crush washer on the plug. And fill the oil filter up with oil before installing it.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
Anyone know off-hand? Metric I assume?

I tried the largest socket I had and it was too small. 15mm is largest I personally have.

Finally, how do you get the oil filter off? By hand? My oil filter wrench doesn't fit in the small plastic access hatch/hole.

Thx!
Yes! It was exactly the same on my 2010 Tucson,,, 17mm, Why so big?,,,lol
It confused me? Most basic socket sets only goto 15mm Then I had to dig to find that socket. Next, I found the filter horizontal, instead of vertical, inside a tiny hatch. Then I had to dig up an old strap type wrench, because of course, it would not come off by hand. (thanks Hyundai service!:rolleyes:) I usually just hand tighten my filters too.

This was all different then on my previous Hyundai's, and you really can't fill the filter with oil being as it's horizontal, as I was used to doing previously :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Wait in your 2011 Sportage EX the oil filter is in sideways? That's weird. On the 2012 EX it is verticle. Why would they have a different mount for oil filter when the 2011-2013 engines should be the same?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hand tighten new filter = check. Always do that. Also, thx for the reminder on filling filter prior to installing! Would have forgotten that!! Haven't personally changed oil in a few years...

Not sure why it's on so tight. I didn't try, by hand, to wrench it off. Just applied gentle pressure and it didn't budge. So, I'll just get the suggested universal filter wrench linked above.

Finally, I think he's talking about his Hyundai? My 2011 SX has vertically mounted filter.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
Wait in your 2011 Sportage EX the oil filter is in sideways? That's weird. On the 2012 EX it is verticle. Why would they have a different mount for oil filter when the 2011-2013 engines should be the same?
Don't panic, I was talking about the oil filter in my 2010 Tucson, it was horizontal. I haven't looked at the oil filter on my 2011 Sportage, but I hope it's vertical as you said,,, it would be easier ;)

It may have to do with the difference in body style? :confused:

·
Registered
966 Posts
And always check both the old filter and the filter mounting surface to make sure the old gasket came off with the old filter.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another good tip. Thx Saxman. Would def. forget to check that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts