Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I installed HIDs in my headlights and foglights. I purchased 4300k for both from Top Speed Performance. I got the slim ballast. The headlights are working fine and I have had no issues. On the foglights when we installed the driver side we tested it and it worked fine, we then installed the passenger side and tested them again but now they just flash once when turned on and then go off. They don't work other then the flashing once then they go out. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a simple fix?

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
Over the weekend I installed HIDs in my headlights and foglights. I purchased 4300k for both from Top Speed Performance. I got the slim ballast. The headlights are working fine and I have had no issues. On the foglights when we installed the driver side we tested it and it worked fine, we then installed the passenger side and tested them again but now they just flash once when turned on and then go off. They don't work other then the flashing once then they go out. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a simple fix?
I also thought that it would be as simple as the low beam headlights, but after this happened to me I had them installed by a professional installer; he used a relay of some sort connected to the battery. He also gave me independent fog lights. :D

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have called the company I purchased from they tell me it should work fine and I needed to speak to a man that is never there. I am starting to question if he is real. I don't think I will get much help from them so thought I would come here. Thank you!

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX
177 Posts
Are you using a relay harness? Most HID I have seen use either 35 or 55 watts. The stock fog lights only use 27 watts. Unless you're using a special HID kit that uses 27w or less, you are asking too much out of your stock wiring.

If you are using a relay harness, double check your grounding point because there is a lot of plastic on the front of the Sportage.

Other wise, your HID kit is probably bad. Good luck.

Also, did you retrofit projectors in your fog lights? Have pictures?

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
43 Posts
Yup, been there...done that. Very simple fix install the hid's with a relay harness. problem solved....good luck..

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Do you make two relay harnesses..One for each side? or is one harness on the battery side enough?
One harness is all you need. It connects directly to the battery terminals, and the other side connects to the ballasts and one of the stock wiring of the fog lamp to act as a trigger. So when you turn your fog light switch to on, the trigger activates the relay in the harness and allows the battery to power on the ballasts to turn on the lights. Cable ties will be needed to provide a cleaner install of the harness.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
484 Posts
I also thought that it would be as simple as the low beam headlights, but after this happened to me I had them installed by a professional installer; he used a relay of some sort connected to the battery. He also gave me independent fog lights. :D
What do you mean by independant fog lights? As in you can turn them on without having the main headlights on?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
484 Posts
blunt: which model of HID did you end up purchasing? Did you get the H11 bulb ones and have to cut the caps? I have seen some newer H11b HID kits floating around now, so no cutting would be required.

Just curious to know what you ended up putting in, I am looking at adding HID to my headlights to start anyways.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts