Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in to my 2011 SX yesterday and it would not start with the push button ignition. The dash had an error message that the brake pedal needed to be depressed. This was in spite of my foot resting firmly on the the brake. After several attempts I had Kia roadside service send a tow truck. The tow truck driver removed the small cover for the shift release that is located next to the shifter. He depressed the release and was able to move the lever from park to neutral then back to park. After moving the lever the car started normally. I had it towed to the dealer anyway and they found the brake switch failed.
For some reason the Kia 2011 Sportage is not covered by the current brake switch recall that is affecting the other 1.7 million vehicles! Strange.

·
Registered
Car: 2016 Sportage 2.0 Petrol (Aussie)...Bike: Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit with sidecar
268 Posts
Strange - after the same no start issues my (October 2010 model) brake switch was replaced under warranty a couple of months ago here in Australia .

I found if you pumped the brake pedal for a couple of seconds it would (most times) kick over, the odd cuss word seems to help as well :)

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,589 Posts
Got in to my 2011 SX yesterday and it would not start with the push button ignition. The dash had an error message that the brake pedal needed to be depressed. This was in spite of my foot resting firmly on the the brake. After several attempts I had Kia roadside service send a tow truck. The tow truck driver removed the small cover for the shift release that is located next to the shifter. He depressed the release and was able to move the lever from park to neutral then back to park. After moving the lever the car started normally. I had it towed to the dealer anyway and they found the brake switch failed.
For some reason the Kia 2011 Sportage is not covered by the current brake switch recall that is affecting the other 1.7 million vehicles! Strange.
Would you rather have it covered under a recall, rather than the 5 year 60,000 mile warranty? They are BOTH free! Just because yours failed doesn't mean ALL Sportage will fail as well. Take it in and let Kia fix it for free.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX
13 Posts
Amazing timing - I'm having the exact same problem with my 2011 SX. Only happens every now and then, but still annoying. If the rear brake lights aren't working due to the switch failure it could be dangerous too. I've got an appointment at Noon today with the local Kia service department and I'll let you know what they say.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you rather have it covered under a recall, rather than the 5 year 60,000 mile warranty? They are BOTH free! Just because yours failed doesn't mean ALL Sportage will fail as well. Take it in and let Kia fix it for free.
At least if it was under recall like all the rest of the models affected it would have been replaced by now and I would not have been stuck with the vehicle not starting at a time when I need to get somewhere. It was just annoying knowing that so many other model years have been recalled and I just happen to end up with the same problem.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Amazing timing - I'm having the exact same problem with my 2011 SX. Only happens every now and then, but still annoying. If the rear brake lights aren't working due to the switch failure it could be dangerous too. I've got an appointment at Noon today with the local Kia service department and I'll let you know what they say.
I noticed an intermittent problem twice a couple of weeks before the switch failed. When that happened the car always started on the second try so I did not think much of it then. It is good you are getting yours checked.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX
13 Posts
Dealer replaced the brake lamp switch and did an unrelated software update; in and out under 50 minutes, with a free car wash! All covered under warranty, too!

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
480 Posts
Seems that my brake switch failed today. Lucky for the bypass start feature I was able to get home. Time to schedule a service call :(

As many of these as seem to fail I have to agree with the OP that it is a little surprising the 2011 model missed the recall

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
Yeah, tell me about the timing, mine just started this same crap recently :rolleyes:

The lights come, & go, for now, with no real issues yet.

Hey Kia, This isn't supposed to be happening on the 2011's,,, Right!? :rolleyes:

Well Kia, I got news for You! :mad:

It would have been better if in the recall, but now it's very inconvenient!

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
480 Posts
At least this must be a regularly stocked dealer part. Called service this morning, dropped off the car a couple hours later and picked up another couple hours after that. I hope it's a redesigned part so I don't have to keep replacing it every 2 years.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
This brake switch problem happened today 7/19/2013 @ about 8:30 AM CST.

Would not start had it towed to the dealer. Diagnosis bad brake switch. 2011 Sportage with 7800 miles on it. Purchased new in March 2011.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Took my Sporty in for an oil change, and a new replacement brake light switch Tues. and, got the oil change but, no brake light switch in stock! :mad:

With the recall on, you'd think they would have plenty in stock! :rolleyes:
Now it's hang out, & wait for another trip back to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Stopped at a gas station one night, got back in and couldn't get it out of Park. I'd been having the two indicator lights (skid, descent) off and on for months. I played with the brake pedal to no avail and popped the cover to the shift unlock thing but had no idea what to do with it. I probed it with the key to no avail. It was hot outside and I had just picked up a pint of EDY'S 'Banana Split' ice cream - if you like ice cream you have to try this - it is the absolute best of any ice cream claiming to be 'banana split' flavor. I really wanted to get home and sit down in front of the TV with that EDY'S. Finally I got pissed and jammed the brake pedal as hard as I could, figuring on pushing the master cylinder off the firewall or breaking the seat back - I blow hot sometimes. I didn't manage to do that, but it unlocked so I drove off. Since then (about a month) it's been fine. I'm still going to have it looked at if I start getting the indicators again, but you could try what I did if you get stuck. But you have to do the whole sequence - stop at a WAWA, buy the ice cream, encounter a stuck shifter, blow your top and try to destroy the vehicle. :)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Stopped at a gas station one night, got back in and couldn't get it out of Park. I'd been having the two indicator lights (skid, descent) off and on for months. I played with the brake pedal to no avail and popped the cover to the shift unlock thing but had no idea what to do with it. I probed it with the key to no avail. It was hot outside and I had just picked up a pint of EDY'S 'Banana Split' ice cream - if you like ice cream you have to try this - it is the absolute best of any ice cream claiming to be 'banana split' flavor. I really wanted to get home and sit down in front of the TV with that EDY'S. Finally I got pissed and jammed the brake pedal as hard as I could, figuring on pushing the master cylinder off the firewall or breaking the seat back - I blow hot sometimes. I didn't manage to do that, but it unlocked so I drove off. Since then (about a month) it's been fine. I'm still going to have it looked at if I start getting the indicators again, but you could try what I did if you get stuck. But you have to do the whole sequence - stop at a WAWA, buy the ice cream, encounter a stuck shifter, blow your top and try to destroy the vehicle. :)
Good Work 1Saxman! If it doesn't work get a bigger hammer, I'd do that myself,,,lol, ;)

I'm gonna hafta try that EDY's "Banana Split" ice cream fer sure :cool:

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX T-GDI
1 Posts
Mine happened couple weeks ago literally the morning of a 7 day road trim. I was able to contact a friend at a KIA Dealership and found out how to bypass the switch to start the Sportage.
IF you press and release the Engine Start Button 1 time the yellow lock light on the left side will illuminate. Now press and hold the Engine Start Button with you foot on the brake, after 5 sec it will bypass the module and the Vehicle will start. At this point if you can put it in gear you can at least get to a Dealership, if not you will also have to pop open the shifter release tab next to the shifter and press the button inside to allow the shifter to release out of park. This was great information I wish was supplied in the manual. I am grateful was able to drive to Dealership, they had the parts and fix me up in an hour I was on the road. In hindsight I am so glad it happened before we left and not during the trim.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Good Work 1Saxman! If it doesn't work get a bigger hammer, I'd do that myself,,,lol, ;)

I'm gonna hafta try that EDY's "Banana Split" ice cream fer sure :cool:
Oh, man! I goofed! It's 'Ben & Jerry's'. I hope no one was inconvenienced - seriously. This ice cream is serious business. I don't dare buy more than 16 oz at a time because I might eat a whole half-gallon. Anyway, brake switch still acting right. I have to look into the 'Shift Unlock' thing. Mine has key-start only and I did not find any button or lever under the cap. I just need to get the book out and look it up.

·
Registered
2011 TechnoOrange Sx, 2008 Toyota Solara SLE, 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan
66 Posts
Why risk being stranded/damaging your car when you're "blowing hot" again instead of spending a couple of hours getting the switch replaced ASAP? Seems like a no brainer to me.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Finally got my brake light switch replaced today. Here's hoping it's a better design, and lasts the life of the car. :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Why risk being stranded/damaging your car when you're "blowing hot" again instead of spending a couple of hours getting the switch replaced ASAP? Seems like a no brainer to me.
Because there's no sense in taking it in when the skid/descent lights are not lit showing the malfunction, and there's no recall or TSB on this for my model as far as I know. Plus, It has been very amenable to 'acting right' since I did my thing. And, what I did was well within the force limit of braking without harming the vehicle. I was just kidding about 'breaking the seat back' and 'pushing the master cylinder off the firewall'. That is probably not possible, and if it were, the vehicle would be unsafe to operate as one could expect the brakes to become inoperable in a panic stop.
I definitely discovered that there is no air in the braking system or fluid leak. :) But to calm your fears, I do plan to have that looked-at anyway on my next service as well as adjusting the parking brake which has slowly worked it's way almost to the floor over the 30 months of operation.
I have tested all functions associated with the switch - brakes and lights, ABS, 'skid', Traction Control and Descent, so I'm not exactly 'driving blind' here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts