Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New to the forum. Own a 2011 Sportage Turbo version. Only have 5000 miles and the steering wheel is peeling in spots. Rather bad on the top, probably due to the sun hitting it? I live in a moderate temperature area, average temp 68 degrees.
Anyone else having problems with their steering wheel peeling or discoloring?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
Hi. New to the forum. Own a 2011 Sportage Turbo version. Only have 5000 miles and the steering wheel is peeling in spots. Rather bad on the top, probably due to the sun hitting it? I live in a moderate temperature area, average temp 68 degrees.
Thanks.
I believe some others on the forum have also had theirs replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
478 Posts
Mine stays parked in the garage and only is driven to work one or 2 days a week where it will be parked outside. Never had issues with my steering wheel. Those with issues, do you park outside a lot? Could just be crappy tolerance to sun.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage, 2007 GTI, 2000 Firehawk
138 Posts
34,000 miles and no peeling. You can always get an aftermarket wheel cover. Some other manufacturer vehicles have had switches that peel due to handlotions that customers are using. Or perhaps you have an abrasive ring or gorilla type hands. ;)

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Thanks.
Mine did that too all over the top portion. I think its because of the sun plus the oils in your hand reacting to the leather material. I had mine replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX T-GDI
70 Posts
Yeah, my wheel peeled in the area where I typically hold it. The problem with aftermarket covers it that most don't look particularly good.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage GDI
20 Posts
Mine is starting to peel all over but i worse where I grip it. Car is 2012 with 10,000 miles. Dealer said they know about it and they are trying to get kia to replace it for me. The caveat being they would only replace it once, which is ridiculous because replacing it in the first place acknowledges a materials defect.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
The top of mine has been peeling for some time but I always attributed it to my winter gloves. It isn't too bad, although it is disappointing. What's worse is hearing that the replacement wheels are also peeling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies

Thanks. We love the car but have several issues, including the steering wheel cover. Glad to know it is covered under warranty and there is a precedent.

·
Registered
SPORTAGE EX 2011
64 Posts
Got a 2011 EX with leather steering wheel

Began to peal 1month ago,
my dealer changed it for a new one under warranty!

very happy! :cool:

·
Registered
98 Honda CR-V, 08 GMC CC, 96 Camry Coupe V6, 11 Kia Sportage EX AWD
87 Posts
2011 EX AWD No peeling here! :D

2yrs and 20k miles. Wifes ride.:huh:

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
151 Posts
I actually find the leather wrapped steering too smooth and somewhat slippery. Should the steering wear a bit, it might add more grip. I sure do miss the old school steering wheels where the back of the steering has hand impressions (forget the name). Yes you can buy a cover but then it starts to look cheezy.

@eyeball - nice fundus

·
Registered
98 Honda CR-V, 08 GMC CC, 96 Camry Coupe V6, 11 Kia Sportage EX AWD
87 Posts
I actually find the leather wrapped steering too smooth and somewhat slippery. Should the steering wear a bit, it might add more grip. I sure do miss the old school steering wheels where the back of the steering has hand impressions (forget the name). Yes you can buy a cover but then it starts to look cheezy.

@eyeball - nice fundus
Cool, you know what that's called....I have tons more, but only a few not disease ridden.:) Not much of a need to take pics of "normal":rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2011 SX, 8200 miles, and the steering wheel is peeling where my left hand holds it. The little pieces are very annoying underhand. If you slightly scrape your nail in this area, the outer layer of leather peels off. Any other place on the wheel this has no effect. I guess it is time to see if the dealer will replace it.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2.0 AWD CRDi 135kw/184hp
121 Posts
See the Kia service. All peeling wheels have been replaced under warranty, problem is low quality in 2011.

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
I have the 2012 and my steering wheel doesn't peel,as nothing is on my hands,but where i hold it most its quite worn. The leather structure of the wheel is just gone in that area,to the point i can see the base layer under it. So not much of an improvement vs 2011. Will find an aftermarket cover eventually.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our 2012 EX was peeling pretty bad at the top of the wheel. Dealer replaced it last week and the new steering wheel cover seems to be a tad softer. It definitely feels better under hand.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2011
9 Posts
hm....Do you use any products to 'nourish' the steering wheel?
I use Armorall and haven't had any problems. Van is parked in sun for about 5hrs a day but i armorall it every weekend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts