Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage, EX w/ Nav
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, and new to Kia as well.

I recently bought a used 2011 Sportage Ex w/ Nav, roughly 27k miles on it. And I really love it, except for one thing: The Smart Key.

If the car has been sitting for a few hours the smart key will not allow me to unlock the driver side door, or any door for that matter (or use the alarm, open the rear hatch, etc), by either pushing the unlock button on the key or the button on the car door handle. I have to use the physical key and manually open the door. Once I'm in the car, I have no issue with the Push Button Start, the car starts up just fine.

I read some of the manual on the Smart Key, and I'm not sure if it's a battery issue, proximity issue to my iPhone, or what. Sometimes I can open the doors just fine, and other times it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
Did you try the other smartkey to see if it works when the one won't? If one works and the other doesn't, at the same time, that pretty much narrows it down to an issue with the smartkey.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage, EX w/ Nav
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I've tried both, but they both do the same thing, work on occasion. Should I try to get them reprogrammed?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
It doesn't sound like like the transmitters if they both do it. It should still be under warranty, so make an appointment with your dealer and take it in. If it is intermittent, however, it may be hard for them to diagnose. Hopefully there might be a code stored that will lead them in the right direction.

There was a reprogram available for the BCM and smartkey module. It was supposed to fix a possible current draw problem, but it may fix other things as well. If you want, PM me your VIN and I can check to see if the reprogram applies to your Sportage, and if it does, if it was done or not.

·
Registered
2010 Sportage Platinum TD
9 Posts
Hi all, i just bought a 2010 Platinum Diesel and weve had it 3 days and its doing exactly the same thing.
Most of the time, if left for a while, the smart key wont open the doors at all. the doors have to be opened with the Pull out key.
Once engine is started, everything goes back to normal.

firstkia2012, did you have any luck with this?
I'm going to call the dealer 1st thing Tuesday and book it in.
Love the car otherwise

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo
38 Posts
Let us know how the dealer handles you. I think this should be covered by the 5yr comprehensive warranty.

·
Registered
2010 Sportage Platinum TD
9 Posts
Hi all, just an update, took it to the dealer on Tuesday and they did a software update and all working great now.
Apparently there was an update available for this issue, but it only affected certain build dates.
Regards Tony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts