Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my wife has a 2011 sportage lx that has been a bear to start lately and is running very rough at idle and has even cut off at stop lights. It threw some codes which would indicate the camshaft position sensors; I swapped those out with some new ones, however it is running worse than before and when it does run I'm hearing a ping which leads me to believe the EGR Valve needs a good cleaning (or the cat converter may be clogged) want to try the cheaper things first. When I started it this morning, no codes were displayed and however the same symptoms presented themselves. I was able to clean the carbon out of the throttle body and tried to find the EGR valve with no luck. I was wondering two things, am I one the right path and where is the EGR valve located? I've spent a good amount time trying to find it and have grown increasingly frustrated. I hope someone will be able to help me out.

I'm more familiar with Honda's and very high performance Chevy engines, so I'm learning as I go. Thank you an advance.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,845 Posts
Hello everyone, my wife has a 2011 sportage lx that has been a bear to start lately and is running very rough at idle and has even cut off at stop lights. It threw some codes which would indicate the camshaft position sensors; I swapped those out with some new ones, however it is running worse than before and when it does run I'm hearing a ping which leads me to believe the EGR Valve needs a good cleaning (or the cat converter may be clogged) want to try the cheaper things first. When I started it this morning, no codes were displayed and however the same symptoms presented themselves. I was able to clean the carbon out of the throttle body and tried to find the EGR valve with no luck. I was wondering two things, am I one the right path and where is the EGR valve located? I've spent a good amount time trying to find it and have grown increasingly frustrated. I hope someone will be able to help me out.

I'm more familiar with Honda's and very high performance Chevy engines, so I'm learning as I go. Thank you an advance.
You need to use a diagnostic approach.

Camshaft position error codes do not mean the sensors have failed, but rather the signals from them are not in synch with each other or with the crank signal, which happens when the VVT is not functioning as they should, .....typically sludge caused by poor service.

EGR's are not used when an engine has VVT.

1. What's the mileage?
  2. Service history?
  3. Oil used?
  4. Oil filter brand used?

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
617 Posts
Check and spray clean MAP sensor, I had similar issue with Forte and cleaning MAP solved it completely. You need to remove it and clean the side that goes inside engine.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@dubber: ill check the MAP sensor.

@ron1004: the car has 120,000 miles on it and I use Mobil1 5w20 high mileage with a K&N oil filter. it's coming due for an oil change. prior to August last year it had been probaly a year and a half since oil was changed. I took over the maintenance after that.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,845 Posts
which happens when the VVT is not functioning as they should, .....typically sludge caused by poor service.
@ron1004: the car has 120,000 miles on it and I use Mobil1 5w20 high mileage with a K&N oil filter. it's coming due for an oil change. prior to August last year it had been probaly a year and a half since oil was changed. I took over the maintenance after that.
That is a very likely candidate for VVT control issues.

Estimate of how many miles done in the 1.5 years without a service - my guess is its past the recommended interval based on the type of problem you're reporting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts