Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorrento EX 2.4L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2011 Sorrento EX 2.4L. No codes appear. The battery died so I put a new one in. The car cranks but doesn't start. The tachometer moves to about 300 rpm but doesn't move at all after that. After it stops trying the immobilizer light and battery light stay on. The key fob unlocks and locks just fine. I have tried putting the key in the slot in the console. I have also tried to start by by-passing the brake switch(brake lights work so I'm thinking it's not that). I'm out of options

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
704 Posts
Key or push-button?

In any case, you probably hold the key or press the button for a short period to the start position. Tried to hold it there for a longer period...maybe 10 to 20 seconds...to start it. Once it starts, let go of key or button to make sure starter disengages. If weird noises, turn it off.

There's a video that shows the situation where there's no crank and the person in the video holds their start button for a longer time and then car starts. I had a slightly different situation where it cranked but didn't start normally. I kept holding button pressed and then it started. Not sure if there's the same logic for a key but I can't think why not. Can't hurt to try if you have a key.

If this works. It would be a temporary way to get going and to help diagnose problem.

As always, this is some info/suggestions you use at your own risk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a push button start. I tried what he did in the video and again it just cranked and didn't start

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
339 Posts
Sorry to say I have no clue. Please keep us informed as to the cause once you get it diagnosed. Thanks! Good luck!

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
704 Posts
Lou, you beat me to it.

If I was in your position, I'd say it's probably time for a mechanic.

Car needs spark, gas and battery to get going. Computer needs to know state of engine to start up.

As yours is cranking, that eliminates some things but you'd probably need proper diagnosis to determine what's going on.

As said, good luck and let us know what happened.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,233 Posts
Try spraying a small bit of sensor safe starter fluid into the intake. If it starts up and runs for a few seconds on the outside fuel, then it's most likely a fuel delivery problem. If not, then it's a spark or compression issue.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
339 Posts
All the poor guy did was R&R a dead battery.
If he didn't hook that up correctly it would not crank over.
If the new battery was bad it would not crank over.
What could possibly have happened by just replacing a battery.
Is it some sort of dealer conspiracy put into action to thwart people from performing their own repairs ?? ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Starting fluid did the trick. Runs fine now. I have a severe squeaky belt and large evap leak but that's for another post. Thanks!

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
704 Posts
So you mean the problem is gone? That doesn't make sense.

The starting fluid test was to help determine if the issue was gas delivery or spark/other issue, not to fix the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the car finally started. I drove it for awhile turned it off and restarted a few times with no issue. I'll let it cool down and try again. I'm not exactly sure why the starting fluid worked to get it started. I haven't driven this vehicle much lately so maybe the fuel is stale.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,233 Posts
Starting fluid did the trick. Runs fine now. ….
Although you're obviously pleased it's running now, that was certainly not the expected result of using starter fluid. Lawnmowers and generators yes, but it's not supposed to work that way with modern cars and trucks ;)

The underlying problem is likely still lurking and waiting to strike again. Until the actual problem is diagnosed and corrected, it probably would be wise to use a different vehicle, if another no-start would put a big hole in your day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's going to the shop next week. I do believe there is something wrong in the fuel system. I had the fuel tank replaced but when driving it will pull a major evap code and will smell like fuel really bad. Might explain the hard start if it's leaking fuel and or vapor somewhere

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
497 Posts
It's going to the shop next week. I do believe there is something wrong in the fuel system. I had the fuel tank replaced but when driving it will pull a major evap code and will smell like fuel really bad. Might explain the hard start if it's leaking fuel and or vapor somewhere
Edit: Just saw your later update. Smelling fuel eeek.. yeah, definitely take it in.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well, at least you got it running! You might be on the cusp of a fuel pump failure, or something related to the evap system.....let us know please what is determined to be the root cause....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts