Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, i'm looking at purchasing a 2011 Sorento, its the Base model with the manual transmission.

When test driving it, i noticed going from neutral with the clutch out, to put it into any gear while the clutch is still in, there is a clunk type noise and you can hear it the transmission engaging. Once in gear, never makes the noise again until it is in neutral/disengaged.

Is this normal for this SUV? or cause for concern? The sorento has 21,000 miles so its still under warranty, but i dont' know if there is an issue if its normal wear and tear or would be covered.

My first two trucks where both manuals but that was 8+ years ago and i can't remember if they did the same type of thing when engaging the transmission (putting it into gear).

Is anybody formilar with the 2011 manual transmission?

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 6MT
47 Posts
Hey !

Short answer: Yes it's normal.

I've been driving a 2011 Sorento with manual for 1.5 years now and it's definitively not the smoothest transmission around (!)

I find shifting from first to second typically the worst. It also depends on the speed vs RPM.

In my case, I find shifting at 4000 rpm the best/smoothest.

Hope this helps !

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento I4 FWD 6Spd, 2005 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6Spd
118 Posts
Mine also make a little noise when shifting into 1st. Going from 1st to 2nd is a head jerker. No reliability problems and averaging 22-24 mpg (28-30 mpg on trips).

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
1st-2nd in any manual is dodgy, mainly because the drive shaft is going from (example) 3,000rpm to 1,500rpm in one go, whereas 2nd-3rd is more like 3,000rpm to 2,500rpm.

Although, my Octavia (VW gearbox) is a lot smoother than my Rio was.
Both vehicles have made that noise when shifting into a gear when stopped, whilst the gearbox input shaft is still spinning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts