Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 serento
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of this forum, between Feb and Jun of 2011, a member (user name nicolod) was describing a 2011 sorento vibration problem he was trying to get fixed with his dealership. The last post I was able to see ended in Jun 2011, so I don't know if the problem was resolved.
I have owned a 2011 Sorento since July of 2012. I have just under 19,000 miles on my vehicle. My son had the car out last week and described a bump like hitting something in the road or something falling off the car. That night I drove the Sorento and discovered a vibration occurring around 35 mph. The dealership dismissed it as a possible tire problem. Any one know how nicolod's experience turned out or have additional information on the Sorento vibration problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
A vibration at 35 does sound like something is going on with a tire or a suspension part. You should ask for an alignment check. Mos of the times they are free and you can get the readings of your alignment. But I would go with trying to pinpoint which area the vibration is coming from.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
814 Posts
Could it have been something like a wheel weight falling off?

Tires are balanced to account for imperfections. Weights can be placed at one or more places on either the inner or outer side of the rim/tire.

It's not common but these weights can dislodge. If that happens, a bration will be noticeable.

If something is hit or there is additinal weight, such as mud o snow, these can affect wheel balance. Another thing can be flat spots in the tire. Some tires are more susceptible to this but this usually goes away after the tire warms up.

Let us know what they find.

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
Examine the tires for air bubbles and foreign object's embedded in the tread. If you find nothing, you can eliminate a tire problem by rotating your spare with one tire at a time.
Alignment problems are normally poor tire wear, and poor handling. Without driving the car it is impossible to diagnose the source of the vibration. You have to feel it to fix it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts