Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening.I just purchased 2011 Sorento last saturday and I am looking for a trailer hitch.Can you let me know where is the best place to buy in Toronto or Mississauga area.Thank You.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Drawtite makes a receiver hitch specifically for the 2011 Sorento:

Draw-Tite Class III, 2 inch Receiver Hitch 75684

If you have Uhaul dealers in Canada, their hitches were (and I think still are)made by Drawtite. If you need to install a brake controller, I would recommend the Drawtite Activator II Brake Controller. We use these at work on pickups that are pulling everything from a 3,500 lb single axle to a 24,000 lb double axle goose neck trailer. Easy to adjust and very responsive. I suppose there may be newer, more sophisticated models, but this is the best controller I have ever used especially when training a novice driver.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just a tip, in canada, KIA has made it perfectly clear, that the 4 cyl 4x4 is NOT recommended for towing. But anyway, The KIA dealer should have them, then its genuine KIA, there is also a plug and play harness available through them, i have installed 4 or 5 of them and if im not mistaken, its the same hitch as an 06+ sedona.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Just a tip, in canada, KIA has made it perfectly clear, that the 4 cyl 4x4 is NOT recommended for towing. But anyway, The KIA dealer should have them, then its genuine KIA, there is also a plug and play harness available through them, i have installed 4 or 5 of them and if im not mistaken, its the same hitch as an 06+ sedona.
Attached is the trailer towing capacities for the 2011 Sorento from the US owners manual. Check the GVWR tag on the trailer you intend to tow. The point should be well taken that towing with a Sorento in Canada may possably invalidate your warrenty, so it doesn't hurt to ask the dealer about towing.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I purchased the Curt hitch from autoanything.com. They had a sale + free shipping which made it a nice deal. The hitch was a breeze to install.
I also did the Curt wiring harness which was a bit of work to install due the it requiring a power lead run from the battery to the rear taillight area.

This is the link to the one I ordered:
Curt Hitch, Curt Receiver Hitches

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pictures

:)Can some members post pictures of what there 2011 Sorento looks like with the different trailer hitches, Draw-tite, Curt Hitch, Valley and others.
Thanks, would like to see before we jump.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Room For Spare?

AWBS:

Thanks for the pic. Question: Does the installed hitch assembly leave sufficient room to drop the spare tire down? Looks like it would be pretty tight to me. I wish that center recessed section in the black under-bumper trim (right above the receiver in your photo) was removable. Then they could build the hitch to ride higher, and most of it would be hidden behind the black panel. The way it is, the hitch has to hang down kinda low, and to my eyes looks rather ugly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It looks like once the spare is lowered a bit it will be able to be angled and drop right out.

I don't think the hitch looks ugly. I think it looks VERY ugly. You also have to have a 4 to 6 inch rise on your ball to level most trailers. What a poor design. I really do not think this vehicle is designed for towing. I have yet to tow my trailer with 2 atv's on it but I did do a test. I backed the car up to the trailer and dropped the trailer onto the ball. The car dropped between 1 and 1.5 inches. I am guessing my tongue weight at about 100 to 125 pounds.

Going to be fun. Nose in the air and tail dragging the ground....

·
Registered
10 Posts
awbs: how'd you run the power cable from the battery?
I'm concerned about the wire hanging under the Sorento?
Did you think about drawing power from a power socket?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here's 4 pictures of the trailer hitch I got installed today. Wiring is all done internally and rest in the under compartment. Only need to pll it out of the hatch when needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cequent Hitches (Hidden-Hitch, Draw-Tite, Reese) on 2011 Sorento?

Thanks to all for the pictures of the Curt Hitch.

Does anyone have any pictures of the Cequent hitches on a 2011 Sorento?

1. Draw-Tite
  2. Hidden-Hitch
  3. Reese
Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an LX FWD, you think I can at least tow with a class 1 hitch??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey all. I just picked up a lightly used (6K miles) 2011 and want to add a hitch as well. Initially not for actual towing but rather those storage trays that make extra space for long vacations.

This may sound like a noob question (lol, it is) but are these hitches user installable? From brielfly looking at the links posted, it appears they simply bolt on? If that is the case,how about the electrical? Is there a harness or adapter port for a harness already included on the underside? I can't really get under and look right now since there is snow all over the driveway.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just received the following hitch and 4 pin connector kit for my 2011 LX V6 AWD Sorento. I paid $133 and ~#35 respectively. I have a local mechanic here who said he would install it for me for $10-$15.

1] 2010-2011 Hyundai Santa Fe/2011 Sorento Hitch Class 3 (Curt Part Number 13004)
2010-2011 Hyundai Santa Fe/2011 Sorento Hitch Class 3 - eBay (item 330535491354 end time Mar-27-11 21:24:49 PDT)

2] CURT TRAILER HITCH WIRING T-CONNECTOR 56024 VERACRUZ (Curt Part Number 56024)
CURT TRAILER HITCH WIRING T-CONNECTOR 56024 VERACRUZ - eBay (item 300459718962 end time Mar-23-11 08:26:14 PDT)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just received the following hitch and 4 pin connector kit for my 2011 LX V6 AWD Sorento. I paid $133 and ~#35 respectively. I have a local mechanic here who said he would install it for me for $10-$15.

1] 2010-2011 Hyundai Santa Fe/2011 Sorento Hitch Class 3 (Curt Part Number 13004)
2010-2011 Hyundai Santa Fe/2011 Sorento Hitch Class 3 - eBay (item 330535491354 end time Mar-27-11 21:24:49 PDT)

2] CURT TRAILER HITCH WIRING T-CONNECTOR 56024 VERACRUZ (Curt Part Number 56024)
CURT TRAILER HITCH WIRING T-CONNECTOR 56024 VERACRUZ - eBay (item 300459718962 end time Mar-23-11 08:26:14 PDT)

Hope this helps.

Just got mine from the same place...great hitch, fantastic price.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got mine from the same place...great hitch, fantastic price.:)
Yeah, pretty good price. I still haven't had a chance to get mine installed though, and don't think I will have time for it anytime soon. Can you please let me know if you have any issues when you install the hitch and wire harness?

On a side note: love the huge sturdy box the hitch came in. It could be very useful for moving! :p

1 - 20 of 129 Posts