Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I also installed the same Curt 2" with the wiring harness CURT T-Connectors for like $65 and was easy to inatall just have to run 1 wire to the battery little pain but not bad. I carry my dirt bike with no problem.
I was wondering if you are just at the limit of the tongue weight of 350? I have a dirt bike that is about 290 lbs and the hitch carrier I have is about 60 lbs. I was worried about maxing out the height. How bad does the back sag?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone installed any brand other than the Curt hitch,or has the Kia hitch?I was wondering what the others looked like on the vehicle.Any pictures would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone installed any brand other than the Curt hitch,or has the Kia hitch?I was wondering what the others looked like on the vehicle.Any pictures would be appreciated.
I ordered the hitch directly from Kia, and am dissapointed. It is the 1 and 1/4inch opening instead of the standard 2. Also, it has an ugly bar that comes down on the right side to go around the muffler. This curt hitch looks a lot nicer.

Do you think that this will tow a 2700 lb 18' boat that doesn't have trailer brakes? In the manual it says that anything over like 1200 lbs needs to have trailer brakes for it to tow properly.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hitches and Brakes

I ordered the hitch directly from Kia, and am dissapointed. It is the 1 and 1/4inch opening instead of the standard 2. Also, it has an ugly bar that comes down on the right side to go around the muffler. This curt hitch looks a lot nicer.

Do you think that this will tow a 2700 lb 18' boat that doesn't have trailer brakes? In the manual it says that anything over like 1200 lbs needs to have trailer brakes for it to tow properly.

The 1-1/4 tube hitch is a Class 2. The 2 in hitch is a Class 3, rated for higher tongue load and total trailer/cargo weight, according to HITCHES-FOR-LESS website.

As far as the brakes go, I wouldn't try to pull anything more than 500-750 lbs without trailer brakes--your 2,700 lb boat adds about 70% to your GVW and while I'm confident that the Kia brakes do a fine job stopping 4,000 lb I'd hate to see you and your family wearing a boat---believe the manual on this one.
--Frank

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I was wondering if you are just at the limit of the tongue weight of 350? I have a dirt bike that is about 290 lbs and the hitch carrier I have is about 60 lbs. I was worried about maxing out the height. How bad does the back sag?
This is a good thought. And brings up two ideas that maybe getting lost in the brezze.

1)First time towing or a forgetting what TONGUE WEIGHT is after years of not think about it. Since many might be now or have been loading the trailer wrong but it was not making a difference then. The "I have always loaded it like this" syndrome for seasoned towers.

2)Upgrading or downgrading of towing vech. And thinking it better then it is for what you got to tow.
a)A 2003-2009 Sorento 3.5/3.8L 4/5spd is not a 2011 Sorento 2.4/3.5L 6spd
b)A 2001 F150/SIERRA/RAM 1500 is not a 2011 Sorento now that the third ATV is out back on the trailer and not in the bed. Thought it was a neat trick huh to turn them sideways now to get them on and not get a new trailer with brakes this time? They fit great right? WRONG.
c)A 2000 Honda Accord V6 that you used to tow the 14ft BOSTON WHALER on the FEATHER LITE Trailer is not a 2011 Sorento that you are now using to tow the NEW 25FT Center Console GRADY WHITE on the dual axle. Even thou you replaced the Honda with it so you could do just that.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was able to get a 5 wire harness added to the Sorento. Used the Curt wiring harness. Though if doing a 5 wire harness dont waste the money. Just tie into the trailer wiring harness under the driver side back corner. 30A of power back there for the trailer due to the size of fuse under the hood. I still had to splice a lot to get it to work.

To run the 5th wire for reverse brake lock out I ran it through the existing trailer wiring boot into the body, then up the side past the emergency fuel door and 2nd access panel, past the 3rd row seatbelt. Dropped the head liner a tad to get the line to run to the wiring boot that connects to the hatch. The top part of the hatch trim is snap on only, pulled that off, do not trying fishing that. Then removed the middle trim piece along the side of the window. I was then able to zip tie the line with the existing harness and reach the orange reverse light before it goes to a smaller wire. This made tapping into the wire easier. I just used one of those add a wire splices.

So yea a lot of work to get a 5 wire harness for the boat. I will report back on the towing. The boat weighs 2700lbs itself and comes close to 3500lbs with trailer and gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Skinner

Can you tell me if the wire harness for a 4 wire plug is a direct plug in I noiticed two plugs on my driver side rear and a single plug on thr passanger side ?

Thank you Todd

·
Registered
19 Posts
I haven't looked under the passenger side. But I know for certain the 2wire harness out of the 2 sitting on the driver side is ground and positive with 30 amps. I believe the 4 wire on the driver side is turns, and stop.

Anyone purchase the KIA hitch harness that knows more?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it same as curt 56100

Like you, I went aftermarket from uhaul for $129.99, free shipping. KIA is proud of their hitches. I did buy the wiring harness from KIA though, so it would be an exact fit, and that was about $120.00. I drag around a tractor supply 4x7 w/tailgate and do not know its back there. It is my make believe pick up truck. The whole package works very well with my Sorento, and looks great too.
is the one frome the dealer the same as the curt 56100 or is it better to just spend the extra money?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd assume the KIA harness would not need a ground wire and power wire ran to the battery. Plus you would have to open the lights, but those are only 2 screws.

My CURT converter already died on one output.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Towed my 20ft boat today about 80 miles each way with hills too which weighs close to 3500lbs. It towed quite well for the power and transmission, no hunting and pecking. Was certainly not worse than my 2007 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L 4wd. I loved having the hatch open to retrieve the boat as I could see the bunks on the trailer.

I had a close call with the parking brake. ALWAYS make sure it is fully depressed. I guess I didn't fully depress it one time as we were adjusting the boat coming out of the water and it started rolling!!!!!. Luckily only a foot or two, but very scary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OEM wiring kit

Kia/Sorento Tow Hitch Wiring-3.5L V-6(2011) $106.25 U8612-1U020
Kia/Sorento Tow Hitch Wiring-2.4 I4 (2011) $106.25 U8612-1U010

the dealership and web bowth call for these wiring kits the i4 and v-6 do have different ones not sure what the difference is, if anyone does please post.:confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
So you were able to find the "vehicle tow plugs" that are supposedly under the drivers side tail light?
I have looked and looked but cannot find anything that looks remotely like a wire or a socket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Missing wiring plugs.

I just tried to put the hitch and wiring in on my 2011 sorento and I can't find this magical "vehicle tow plug" that is mentioned in the install guide for the wiring harness. Does anyone know where it is?
I am assuming it is somewhere close to the drivers side tail light as the cable will not reach any further than that.

Sorry, apparently my first post did work. It was not there when I reposted

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine is a EX V6 AWD shows a 30 amp trailer fuse in the engine fuse box. But if its there you should see some harnesses hanging down right there attached to the body.

BTW, the CURT converter always sends 10.9 volts, unless its wired to a relay with key on. So the LEDs on the trailer they show up as being dim in the dark when left plugged in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hope this helps

I just tried to put the hitch and wiring in on my 2011 sorento and I can't find this magical "vehicle tow plug" that is mentioned in the install guide for the wiring harness. Does anyone know where it is?
I am assuming it is somewhere close to the drivers side tail light as the cable will not reach any further than that.

Sorry, apparently my first post did work. It was not there when I reposted
My buddy and I found the plug right behind the left rear mud flap. We pulled the cap, put a meter on it and pulled the 30a fuse to verify it was indeed the "vehicle tow plug". Good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Want to add a hitch to my 2011 Serento I-4. I would be towing a jetski, total weight of trailer and ski would be around 800-1000lbs. Class two hitch would be fine as could not see much more that a 100-150lbs of tongue weight. Has anyone towed a jetski or something similar in weight with the 4cyl engine? Should not encount many big hills, only trips to the Thousand island area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I just added the Curt trailer hitch to my 2011 Sorento and I am experiencing some loud what sounds like metal on metal when I hit bumps and go up hills in perticular. I have check the 4 bolts and they are in tight and there seems to be no play in the hitch. I also seem to have about 1/2 inch between the hitch the exhaust tip.

Has anyone else has a simlar problem ?

21 - 40 of 61 Posts