Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sorento
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, recently the check engine came on in my 2011 Sorento, it loses power and goes into limp mode. When I ran the codes there was two issues, the throttle position sensor and the sensor on the gas pedal. I've replaced both but am still having the same issue. Has anyone else come across this? I dont know what to check next.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,149 Posts
You need to post all of the actual codes, in order for anyone here to have any chance of helping you. And also post which engine is in your vehicle.

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
169 Posts
What did you use to read the codes? Which engine do you have? Codes do not tell you what parts are bad but give you a general area that needs to be looked at for troubleshooting. Testing must be done on that area to revile what is causing the issue that tripped the trouble code.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, recently the check engine came on in my 2011 Sorento, it loses power and goes into limp mode. When I ran the codes there was two issues, the throttle position sensor and the sensor on the gas pedal. I've replaced both but am still having the same issue. Has anyone else come across this? I dont know what to check next.
Here's some more details- My 2011 Sorento is a V6 3.5. The codes that keep coming up are P2106 and P0121. Both my mechanic and the dealership pulled these codes, the dealership recommended replacing the TPS, I have had issues with the local dealership that makes me not trust them with my car. They have quoted me the wrong price and sold me the wrong parts, so I had my mechanic replace the TPS which in this model means replacing the throttle body as it's built in. When this didn't work we replaced the pedal sensor as well. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
169 Posts
So you replaced the throttle pedal assembly and the throttle actuator control (TAC) ie throttle body and still have the check engine light on with the engine in limp in mode (max speed ~15 mph). You only have a little more to check out then, unless one of the new parts is bad also. Bad connections/wiring harness problems with the system or a bad engine control module (ECM). Your mechanic should have been able to check the signals to the ECM for this system with his scanner to verify the proper and smooth changes in voltage values from each of the throttle pedals pots. When he seen that the signal values were not proper, he needs to test each part of the system to find the problem. I would suggest you find a different mechanic that is good with trouble shooting and has the testing equipment and information to troubleshoot these kinds of issues.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,729 Posts
So you replaced the throttle pedal assembly and the throttle actuator control (TAC) ie throttle body and still have the check engine light on with the engine in limp in mode (max speed ~15 mph). You only have a little more to check out then, unless one of the new parts is bad also. Bad connections/wiring harness problems with the system or a bad engine control module (ECM). Your mechanic should have been able to check the signals to the ECM for this system with his scanner to verify the proper and smooth changes in voltage values from each of the throttle pedals pots. When he seen that the signal values were not proper, he needs to test each part of the system to find the problem. I would suggest you find a different mechanic that is good with trouble shooting and has the testing equipment and information to troubleshoot these kinds of issues.
Good advice, but bear in mind that this is being relayed to a mechanic that couldn't diagnose the problem correctly, which would have been a relatively simple task with an OBDII scanner (note scanner, not code reader).
I second your advice to find a competent mechanic.

It would be good to hear if these "new" parts were genuine OEM and actually new - many posters here have used that term, only to later confirm that they were used or re-manufactured parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts