Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently looking at installing a Brake Controller and upgrade from 4 to 7 blade plug on my 2011 Sorento SX which has factory wiring (plugs located under drivers side rear). I have already installed a 4-plug harness using the factory plugs.

According to etrailer.com the following connections are required in order to wire up the Brake Controller and 7-Blade plug:

1) Are there existing wires (in the factory wiring) in order to connect Electric Brake Output (Blue wire) and the 12V Hot Lead (Black wire)? Or will I have to run these wires from the back to the front of the vehicle myself? If there is a 12V Hot Lead, is it protected by a breaker?

2) Typically the Brake Switch (Red Wire) can be found near the top of the brake pedal. This wire has power when the brake pedal is pressed. Does anyone know the exact location and colour of this wire for my particular model?

3) Most of the instructions do not include directions to install the Reverse Lights (Purple wire). Does anyone know where I can tap into this circuit on my Sorento as I would like to hook this up for future use.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Also, if any of you have completed this installation and would like to offer me any tips or hints I would greatly appreciate it!

:beer:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have an answer (or a schematic)? Generic is red or white-Sorento has 4 wires in a harness and none are red or white?

Thanks
PS. I think a good tip is to have it done by someone else next time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a brake controller in my Sorento. The wires have to be run from the front to the back. I believe the wire at the brake switch is black\blue. I will confirm this afternoon when I get home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Confirmed, the brake controller taps into the black/blue wire at the brake switch.
I realize this is an old post, but I had trouble finding the correct wire for my brake controller and I found this thread and tried it first. Fort_Sorento is correct, the black blue is the brake switch. However, it is the hot side. For my Tekonsha P3, the cold wire is required. This was the yellow wire on my 2012 Sorento SX.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hmmm. Interesting. I have a Reese brake controller. Why would it be different? I didn't install it but will look into this further.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I checked the Reese installation guide on their website, mine SHOULD be to the cold side as well. I will change this tomorrow.

So if I understand right, with trailer connected, it would think the brakes are on all the time the way it's wired now.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Went out this morning, my 2011 doesn't have a yellow wire going to the brake switch. I took my volt meter and did some testing at the 7 pin connector. Pin 2 (blue for brake signal) no power when brakes not applied, power with brakes applied. Looks like I'm wired fine. Wierd that they would change the colours from 2011 to 2012.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Which way to run the break controller wires in Sorento?

Hi guys, I found this thread after much searching everywhere, great info everyone, thanks!

AaronSX and/or Fort Sorento, I was hoping you could provide a bit more details on your break controller installation...

I am specifically interested in the way your wires run.
Can you describe or post some pictures on which way you got the break controller wires running between the engine compartment and the inside of the vehicle?

I just bought a 2011 Sorento EX, with the factory hitch and 4-way hookup, and need to convert it to a 7-way hookup including the break controller. I've done this before on my previous car, but it's always different and tricky between different makes and models to find the right entry points for these wires.

Thanks for any info / pics you can share!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help needed to determine cold side of brake switch

Hello

This thread is quite old, but I am hoping this reaches someone that can possibly help.

I recently purchased a Prodigy3 brake controller to install on my 2011 KIA Sorrento. I researched it a bit and the installation looked simple enough. I already had a hitch and a 4 pin flat connector from when I purchased the vehicle new. I have run two runs of (#10) conductor to the back of the car, installed two 30 amp breakers under the hood, made jumpers to feed the breakers from the battery (install these last), installed (#10) from the two breakers through the fire wall inside the car (one for break controller and the other if I want to install a switch for the RV battery circuit and installed a (#10) from the battery ground to through the fire wall into the car.

Basically the majority of the wiring is done, at least that is what I thought! The brake switch has four termination points and one termination point has two wires, so four termination points and 5 wires in total going to the brake switch. It was easy enough to locate the so called cold side of the brake switch, unfortunately when the brake is not depressed this wire is grounded. This is similar to the problem with connecting brake controllers to some Ford vehicles. I called the manufacturer and they were not a lot of help, they suggested that I connect to one of my taillights. I really don't like this idea for several reasons, one I am concerned about using the car wiring for this purpose. Most people say you should minimize the use of the existing vehicles wiring unless it has allowed for such like some vehicles that have tow packages.

Has anyone connected a brake controller to a 2011 KIA Sorrento EXV6? If so what color are the wires going to your brake switch and what color wire did you connect the brake controller to? Does anyone have a wiring schematic for the brake electric circuit for a 2011 KIA Sorrento. I could really use some assistance. I have attached a picture of the connector and wires that connect to my brake switch.

Thanks

Brent

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
DieselDude
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing