Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...
new to the Kia forum but have spent lots of time on several Mazda Miata forums over the years.
We have a 2011 Kia Sorento EX with 100K miles. It runs great... just got back from a 900 mile round trip run but there was one problem...
all of the controls built into the steering wheel quit working. the Cruise, radio volume and phone/bluetooth buttons are inactive. Horn still works so i've got that going for me.
it acts as though a fuse has blown, but checking the fuse schematic, it doesnt call out any of those components.
any help on which fuse controls those functions? there are several that go by "Module"... Module 1, Module 2, etc.
anyway... thanks for any help you can throw my way!
look forward contributing down the road.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6
3 Posts
Hi, I believe this issue is covered by a Kia recall. I tried looking for the paperwork I was given but couldn't find the info. I had a similar issue where the radio controls completely stopped working and I was to scared to use the cruise control so I'm not sure if that wasn't working as well. But I did take it in to a Kia dealership and didn't have to pay they said it was covered by the recall. I suggest calling your nearest dealer and asking. If I find the recall number I'll post back here.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
751 Posts
Just by the description, I would say it's something in the wiring on the steering wheel. I don't think there's a fuse for wiring or buttons.

Maybe it's related to the clock spring, which is behind the steering wheel and i believe it is involved in the wiring. There was a service bulletin about the clock spring but the recall describes the indicators differently, such as dashboard lights on that shouldn't be on, if i recall.

One thing to remember is that the air bag is in the steering wheel and you should be careful with that.

Have the dealer check if there are any outstanding service bulletins/recalls for your vehicle and mention the clock spring if they don't find anything. Not sure, but maybe yours is presenting differently for the same issue. Note that service bulletins and recalls may differ by region/location.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorrento LX
1 Posts
hey guys...
new to the Kia forum but have spent lots of time on several Mazda Miata forums over the years.
We have a 2011 Kia Sorento EX with 100K miles. It runs great... just got back from a 900 mile round trip run but there was one problem...
all of the controls built into the steering wheel quit working. the Cruise, radio volume and phone/bluetooth buttons are inactive. Horn still works so i've got that going for me.
it acts as though a fuse has blown, but checking the fuse schematic, it doesnt call out any of those components.
any help on which fuse controls those functions? there are several that go by "Module"... Module 1, Module 2, etc.
anyway... thanks for any help you can throw my way!
look forward contributing down the road.
Same thing has happened to my 2012 Sorrento. Horn and On/Off button for cruise are the only things working. Mine started with left side and then the bottom and then the right side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts