Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento SL 2011
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum. First off I love my Sorento, perhaps the best vehicle I've owned. I have what looks like rust spots on the the chrome trim above the license plate. Additionally it's on the chrome on the front and rear below the bumpers. I even have a spot the K of KIA emblem. I have tried everything, ( chrome cleaner, clay bar, mild compound, vinegar ) I don't think it's rust, the surface is very smooth. I can't tell if any of this is in the paint due to its silver color. Has anyone seen anything like this or have any recommendations?

I've attached a couple of pictures.

Thanks
Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Forte5
114 Posts
No idea, but my best guess would be some form of contamination or manufacturing defect. Is it actually metal or just chrome plated plastic? If it's plastic, there are all sorts of things that can go wrong with that process, resulting in chrome trim that discolors over time or even flakes off entirely.

I had a similar problem with the emblem on the steering wheel of my last car, dark spots developed in the chrome areas, and they became more pronounced over time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 has the same rust spots on thechrome around the windows . I used some of the headlight cleaner on it it took the spots off but this should not be happiening to a brand new car . I am going to email the manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,889 Posts
My 2019 has the same rust spots on thechrome around the windows . I used some of the headlight cleaner on it it took the spots off but this should not be happiening to a brand new car . I am going to email the manufacturer.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

1 - 4 of 4 Posts