Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys,
I am going to drain the transmission fluid from the pan and simply want to add the same amount back in, used to be simple process with dipstick but looking at the engine I can't find the atf bolt.

I have read previous post and searched the internet and looked at service manuals and the online videos but I have heard some say you have to take out battery and behind there and some under the air shroud just wondering where it actually is on my car and how to get to it?

Can I just disconnect the atf return line instead and refill the fluid from that instead of dealing with the finding the eyebolt?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Although I don't know exactly where it's located on your vehicle, the eyebolt is typically a black 22mm bolt with a plastic breather tube attached to it, and is located on top of the tranny case. Most of them only need the intake air box/tubing removed to gain access to the bolt. I would definitely not try to refill using a tranny cooler port or hose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I decided to just do it this weekend and will share my experience here in case it can help anyone else here. I looked for what you described and everyone else describes and shows as a plastic bolt with breather and didn't see it so i took off the air tubing, still nothing. so i took off the air cleaner box, still nothing. So i then took out the battery and battery holder and still didn't find what was being described to me. It ended up being just a regular metal bolt with a crush type washer under that i found cause it was on top of the tranny just below the battery stand and I just took it off.

I was able to slowly replace the fluid through this fill hole that i had drained out, it does take some time as you put a little in then 10 seconds later air come burping back out. Anyways so i put everything back, did an oil and filter change and new air filter and start up the car and it is reving up in park and reverse, hitting the rev limit then coming back down and repeating. It is throwing a P0106 map sensor error. I go inside for the day and find out this is a common problem once the battery is disconnected which is so odd.

The next morning , i look for disconnected hoses or anything I may have missed, nothing , all is well. I start the car up and reverse and park and all of sudden the reving issue dissapeared. Don't know if it has something to do the the ECU and battery being disconnedted but i took for test drive and was fine, the only thing is even though i keep clearing the p0106 code it keeps coming back even though as of now the car is driving fine. Will have to watch and see if in time I can get it to stay off.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
.... It ended up being just a regular metal bolt with a crush type washer under that i found cause it was on top of the tranny just below the battery stand and I just took it off. ....
So it did not have a flexible breather tube attached to it? And was it a 22mm bolt head, or something else?

... start up the car and it is reving up in park and reverse, hitting the rev limit then coming back down and repeating. It is throwing a P0106 map sensor error. I go inside for the day and find out this is a common problem once the battery is disconnected which is so odd.

The next morning , i look for disconnected hoses or anything I may have missed, nothing , all is well. I start the car up and reverse and park and all of sudden the reving issue dissapeared. Don't know if it has something to do the the ECU and battery being disconnedted but i took for test drive and was fine, the only thing is even though i keep clearing the p0106 code it keeps coming back even though as of now the car is driving fine. Will have to watch and see if in time I can get it to stay off.
The false P0106 is well known to be a battery disconnect issue, however the revving that you described is brand new (for me anyway). The false P0106 is almost certainly a result of the ECM getting conflicting data, due to the capacitors not being fully drained when the battery was disconnected. So it would also seem possible that other mismatching data could cause momentary problems for the fuel management system, and then get quickly resolved as soon as new data was sent by the sensors to the ECM. That's all just speculation on my part, and it doesn't matter anyway, as long as your vehicle is now running well. The P0106 should disappear after a few drive cycles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it did not have a flexible breather tube attached to it? And was it a 22mm bolt head, or something else?

I think it was around 22mm head, can't remember. There wasn't any hose attached to it. I was going to take pictures but my hands were so filthy I didn't bother.

The false P0106 is well known to be a battery disconnect issue, however the revving that you described is brand new (for me anyway). The false P0106 is almost certainly a result of the ECM getting conflicting data, due to the capacitors not being fully drained when the battery was disconnected. So it would also seem possible that other mismatching data could cause momentary problems for the fuel management system, and then get quickly resolved as soon as new data was sent by the sensors to the ECM. That's all just speculation on my part, and it doesn't matter anyway, as long as your vehicle is now running well. The P0106 should disappear after a few drive cycles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
drw7162
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing