Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't hear anything when I push the button to open the door. The emergency cable works, I've tried wd40 and bending the metal piece inside, but I don't think any of that matters because I think the button itself is the problem. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
There will be a solenoid near the fuel door; weather may have jammed it. Also check circuit and possibly a fuse (not necessarily labelled).

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is now an open service action to fix this.

Contact your local Kia dealership have them run your VIN for open service actions.

Even if your car is not covered under the service action tell them about this and they will make an adjustment to fix this.

The service action code is:

SA146

----- Experience ---- Certified Kia Service Writer

And I am glad KIA did make a fix for this. They do listen to complaints and this is one example (we have done hundreds of adjustments on these)

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have had ours in twice for a similar issue. The solenoid pops, but the door does not release and open. 1st time they replaced the whole door, last time they "adjusted it" and performed the service action. It is now doing it again. We'll be taking it back a third time. :(

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've had this on 2 Sorento's. Know-it-all service writer sprayed WD40 on the latch and said it would never happen again.

When it happened right after I did the home-made fix of bending the metal to increase the spring power.

What is the official fix in the SA146? Dealer here continually claims that Service Actions don't apply to Canadian Kia's because (he says) they are built in Korea not USA.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The fix in the service action is to add a small rubber tube inside the metal "spring" to increase the tension to pop the door. This works if the door "pops" but does not open. If the release solenoid does not actuate, then the problem is most likely going to be the switch or the wiring.

The unofficial fix I've found to work best is to trim the fuel door. I don't have any pictures at this time. However, if you have access to an 11 and a 12-up Sorento, you can see the inside of the fuel doors are molded slightly different where they clip into the latch. Just trim the 11 door to match the newer one and problem solved.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Canadian Kia's because (he says) they are built in Korea not USA.
CARFAX® - VIN Decoder Chart | Info on Car VIN Numbers | VIN # Lookup

Also, the sticker on the door jam or under the hood will give the country of manufacture.

All I know for sure is that my U.S. built Sorento has the wiring for the Canadian daytime running lights. It just takes a jumper to ground to put them into service.
http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-2013-xm-sorento-forum/68048-drl-daylight-running-lights-2011-sorento.html#post347096

·
Registered
7 Posts
How I fixed it....

I checked the fuse and it was good. Same as the original poster, pushed the button, but no noise/pop. I popped the switch out and while it was still connected I pried the switch apart. The contacts were burnt in the switch. After a little sanding with fine sand paper, the contacts were clean and after re-assembly the door is operating normally again. Will try and post pictures. You pry up on the switch on each side of the gas pump icon....that is where the gripper ears are on the switch holding it in. Also, when you go to put the switch back together, it only goes one way so make sure to line the detents up.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh, and the fuse is the one marked: F/lid I guess it was too much trouble for them to spell it out.....
Yeah, let's not make this too easy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, let's not make this too easy.
Fuel Door sticking on my 2011 EX occurred to me as well. Took it back to the dealer and they fixed it after a couple tries. Seems ok now. I have a little pocket knife I carry in the car and would use that to kinda of pry the stuck door open when it would stick.
-Will

·
Registered
661 Posts
I wonder why it took the dealer a couple of tries to fix the door. Did you have to leave the car to have it fixed?

Good idea about the pocket knife.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same problem. I put a little grease on the release latch so it worked smoother and that solved the problem. Maybe I was lucky.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had this replaced twice. Hasn't happened since the last one about 3 years ago. But it did get taken in twice for this issue.
They replaced the latching mechanism if I remember correctly

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had same problem like described paulstaf on Santa Fe. I repaired it by opening button disassembly and contacts cleaning because they were burned (isolated by burned surface).

·
Registered
1 Posts
How I fixed it....

I checked the fuse and it was good. Same as the original poster, pushed the button, but no noise/pop. I popped the switch out and while it was still connected I pried the switch apart. The contacts were burnt in the switch. After a little sanding with fine sand paper, the contacts were clean and after re-assembly the door is operating normally again. Will try and post pictures. You pry up on the switch on each side of the gas pump icon....that is where the gripper ears are on the switch holding it in. Also, when you go to put the switch back together, it only goes one way so make sure to line the detents up.
I popped the switch out as suggested but before taking it apart placed my screw driver across the connectors and the door popped open. From there I took apart the switch as suggested and found the contacts burnt. Since I did have any sand paper on hand I used the tip of my flat screw drivers the scape the carbon off the contacts. Put the switch back together and all is now working fine.

·
Super Moderator
9,160 Posts
I popped the switch out as suggested but before taking it apart placed my screw driver across the connectors and the door popped open. From there I took apart the switch as suggested and found the contacts burnt. Since I did have any sand paper on hand I used the tip of my flat screw drivers the scape the carbon off the contacts. Put the switch back together and all is now working fine.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

1 - 18 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
18 Participants
ron1004
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing