Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sorento AWD / front passenger door handle (exterior) will not open door. I took the door handle off but it's not broken, leading me to believe it's the door assembly. How do I get to the door assembly? I have the interior panel off, now I have the silver panel. Not sure what to do next. Anybody have detailed instructions or video?? Dave [email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
passenger door won't open/ battery dead

I have the same problem...front passenger door won't open from the outside even tho the lock is unlocked. I have to manually open the door handle from inside to open the door.
Any one fixed this on theirs?
Car has 58,000 mi after sitting for a day or two it won't start...quick jump and it starts up but let it sit and it is dead.
2011 Kia Sorento

·
Registered
24 Posts
seems like common problem
2011 SX

earlier this year, driver door would not open from outside.
now the rear driver side door does not open from outside.

maybe from wear and tear.

thank god it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Me too, I'm stumped. I just rolled 62k miles so I assume my warranty is out. I removed the door panel down to this. I removed the perimeter bolts but cannot remove the silver shield. I assume due to the window motor/assembly. I peeked up throught the bottow but the handle "looks" to function just fine, even though nothing happens. Any help on getting to the handle I would also appreciate.

·
Registered
Sorento 2.2 Diesel, 4x4
9 Posts
I had the same problem on both my left doors on my 2010 Sorento. They open from the inside but not from the outside. I, unfortunately, had to replace both the door lock mechanisms. It seems something in the lock mechanism gives up. I tried to strip the mechanism to check if it can be repaired but its a sealed unit. I paid a Kia technician, to replace the lock mechanism, privately. Its not easy to remove. If your car is still under warranty then its best to take it to them to have replaced. These parts are not cheap.

·
Registered
Sorento 2.2 Diesel, 4x4
9 Posts
To remove the silver panel.... Take off the grommet thats just under the L shaped bracket. Connect the door cover panel to the window switch to power the motor for the window. Switch on the ignition and drop the window until you see a bolt from where from where you removed the grommet. Disconnect the door panel. Undo the bolt. Now you would be able to move the window up by gripping the glass with both your hands and pulling it up towards the closed position. This should now make it easy for the silver door panel to be removed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you Shabir! I will give that a try. I threw caution to the wind and ordered an inner door handle to replace. I like to tinker with these things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Finally got it. Lowered window, removed the bolt.

Taped up the window glass

Removed the outside door handle. Unscrew the bolt through the access hole in the door jam, cap is removed. The main outside handle can be removed by sliding the handle straight back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Remove the 8mm bolt under the handle
Then remove the bolts holding the latch assembly in place

Lastly remove the window track. Two silver bolts and a black nut

Now the entire assembly can be removed from the door.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unfortunately for me the latch assembly has a broken piece of plastic inside which is causing the outside door handle not to open the door.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check out the earlier steps. Separate the glass, remove the track, remove handle, remove door latch then the metal panel can be removed.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento, 2007 Solara Convertable, 1975 Buick LeSabre Convertable
1 Posts
I have a Sorento AWD / front passenger door handle (exterior) will not open door. I took the door handle off but it's not broken, leading me to believe it's the door assembly. How do I get to the door assembly? I have the interior panel off, now I have the silver panel. Not sure what to do next. Anybody have detailed instructions or video?? Dave [email protected]
I contacted Kia Customer support today 9/29/2015 on the Sorento outside door handle failure. Kia support does not recognize any complaints on the internet. My 5 year warranty is just about up and I am having the left front outside door handle replace under warranty. I had the left rear door handle replaced under warranty in August... The outside handles do fail and I relate this to a safety issue. As you do searches on the internet it is a very common problem... I have now owned 3 Kia products and I really like the products... As a former GM Parts department manager I am well aware of common parts failures and the lack of acknowledging existing failures and not responding to assist the consumer...

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento LX Bright Silver - W/ Package - Heated Seats, Backup Sensors & Camera
27 Posts
My drivers side rear door broke last year of of the blue. thank goodness the child locks were not engaged - at least I can open it from the inside. The repair was so expensive I've lived with the issue.

Today the Drivers side broke.. and that one I can't live with.

It's ridiculous there isn't a recall on these - as it seems to be so very common.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX
130 Posts
My drivers side rear door broke last year of of the blue. thank goodness the child locks were not engaged - at least I can open it from the inside. The repair was so expensive I've lived with the issue.

Today the Drivers side broke.. and that one I can't live with.

It's ridiculous there isn't a recall on these - as it seems to be so very common.
How expensive was it? I just did one on a front door on a 12 Sorento, guy got in and out for less than 400.00 installed, and I work at a dealership.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wanted to give an update - bought a replacement power lock assembly from an ebay vendor located in South Korea. $86 but it took 3-4 weeks to arrive. Part looks exactly oem, is installed and works perfectly. Now that I've taken off the part before, I think I had the swap completed in under an hour.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 SORENTO 66,500 miles. Thank you all for the great tips. outside door handle would not open the door. I took my driver side door apart and removed the actuator. heading to KIA tomorrow for a new one. So frustrating since this a definite manufacturer flaw. My driver side did the same thing at 50K, fortunately that was covered under warranty.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts