Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to this forum and new to owning a Kia. I purchased a 2011 Kia Sorento last week. Got a good deal on it and it only has 49K miles on it. So far I'm liking everything, except the head unit (navigation, stereo, backup camera, etc...) is very slow and has lots of lag.

Anyways, I searched the forum and found a few existing threads on badge replacement but none for the 2011 model year.

I ordered my emblems from the k5 optima store
I got the 3-piece set, Front-Rear-Steering Wheel, since I have the chrome wheels I didn't want the wheel caps.

The rear emblem is held on by just adhesive, but there are 2 prongs on the both sides on the backside of the emblem. I used a small screwdriver (along with an old tshirt to prevent scratching) to slightly pry one side of the emblem...just enough to get my fishing line behind the emblem.
I used a really long piece of fishing line, folded it over 5 times, so I was basically using 5 pieces of fishing line. I tried using just 1 and it broke quickly. I also used a hairdryer to heat up the emblem and get the adhesive warm and gooey (easier to cut through).
I added pictures of the prongs and finished installation of the rear.

The steering wheel was really easy. I tried to use blue painters tape around the outside of the emblem, but I think I had too much cleaner or protectant on my steering wheel b/c the tape didnt stick. So I just used a small flat head and pryed one side up, then just pulled it straight back, took like 30 seconds and didnt damage the steering wheel at all. Cleaned the surface and installed new one, easy....

So now here is where I am stuck, the front emblem. First of all, the emblem I ordered doesnt look like the correct size, Ill post those pictures on post #2 since I've ran out of upload space.
The stock emblem is wider than this new one I ordered.
Also, I've read that the stock emblems just "pop off", but as you can see from the pics of the back of the emblem, there doesnt appear to be anything to pop off.

Does it look like I have the correct size for the front? How do I get the stock emblem off?

Thanks
Mainline

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so I emailed the guy from K5 Optima Store. He said the emblems on the 2011 Sorento EX are the same size, front and rear. He said they were the "large" size.
He also mentioned, "As it states on our website, the aftermarket emblems are slightly smaller than the original ones. However, once you install them on the vehicle, no one else will notice the slight difference in size. It's much more noticeable when you are comparing the old emblem to the new one side-by-side."

So I guess I have the correct size badges.

He also mentioned that the installation instructions were similar to an Optima, but if you look at the PDF installation file the front badge on the Optima is a very similar placement as the rear. The Optima's badge isn't nested in the middle of a grill, its on the body, very much like the rear emblem. So the instructions on the K5 Optima website aren't very helpful. The K5 Store guy told me to consult a professional...

I made some (very lame) photo-shopped pictures of my 2011 Sorento EX's front grill/emblem vs a Sorento front grill/emblem that has the emblem held on by "clips". You can see mine doesn't have these clips....

One idea that crossed my mind would be drilling small holes in various places on the current chrome 3d Kia emblems, then see if I can yank them off. By looking at the size of the new emblem (which you can see in a post above this one) I'm going to need to remove all of the chrome Kia letters and the chrome ring.

Any other ideas on how to remove front the stock emblem?

I realize I'm not getting an responses from this thread, but thinking even if I figure this out on my own that maybe it will help someone else out in the future since there seems to be no DIY material out there on the web

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think there are other posts in this forum about replacing badges similar to those.

Sounds familiar. Try looking for those.
I've found a few older threads about badge replacement, but I can't seem to find any that have the OEM badges like mine that are not held on by clips or that aren't attached to the body with adhesive. Even tried looking in other forums for different model Kias. I'll keep searching and hope that maybe someone on this forum can give insight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So I looked at my front OEM emblem again. The K, I, and A are all separate pieces and the chrome circle is separate as well. To remove them, just get a very small flat head screwdriver and wedge it under then work your way down each piece until them snap out. They are not held on by glue or any screws. Take your time with the outer circle piece. I rushed mine and it snapped into a few pieces...so I don't have the option of reinstalling mine.

The new front emblem that I ordered from the K5 Store isn't going to fit like the instructions say it will fit. I emailed the owner of the K5 Store and he clearly has never installed emblems on a Sorento, at least the kind with front emblems like mine has.

I'm going to have to figure out a way to mount something to the existing area that I can then install the new emblem on top of. If I were to try installing the new emblem as is, there would only be two pressure points for the double-sided take to stick to....the top of the circle and the bottom. And that is not enough to hold it in place.

Here are some pictures of the front emblems removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Use some thermoplastic caulking, this stuff is incredibly strong and stickes to just about everything. It will also fill any irregular shapes.
It's avaliable in crystal clear or about 40 other colors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts